Thread: 223/556 mags for modified Saiga?

223/556 mags for modified Saiga?

The web is a tangled place it seems.
    This may be a long shot but I have been kicking the idea around of a .223/556 AK for awhile now. As is usual for me I seem to have hit a brick wall and am too stubborn to just look elsewhere or give up when something is hard to solve. I have been trying to find reliable magazines for a saiga 223 rifle that has been modified for high cap magazines( as well as pistol grip, stock.. the usual AK work sans fore grip and FSB but I digress). SO far I've seen the usual recommendations for the weiger magazines, the Bulgarian mags and Beryls. These are good mags but at over $30+ each I wanted to know if there was a decent cheaper alternative. SO far all I've found is that Norinco mags won't work in a saiga and that galil mags are a hit or miss proposition. I did ask a seller if the Zastava m85 metal mags would work and while he said they should I am a bit unsure how well they would work.I know Tapco makes a polymer magazine for the PAP 85 but I dunno how durable tapco AK mags are ( J&G suggests it for their 223 saiga offering). What say you Gunsnet? Again I am not saying I am dead set on a 556 AK but I wanted to find out what would work without such a high cost.

Krebs has been working on a AK in 5.56 that takes STANAG mags.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJyUfASaztg
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

"I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"