Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ok i am going to build an AR

ok i am going to build an AR

never built a rifle and have no clue where to start.
    tools? spring kits?
    I have to start at the least expensive and work my way forward.

I am pretty sure I will need a lot of advice. I am thinking of a dpms lower but as
    far as barrel and upper, fcg not a clue.

I still do not know if I want a handle or a flat top.
    advice, pros and cons are really sincerely appreciated.

TIA
    Last edited by l921428x; 05-30-2014 at 08:07 PM.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    never built a rifle and have no clue where to start.
    tools? spring kits?
    I have to start at the least expensive and work my way forward.

I am pretty sure I will need a lot of advice. I am thinking of a dpms lower but as
    far as barrel and upper, fcg not a clue.

I still do not know if I want a handle or a flat top.
    advice, pros and cons are really sincerely appreciated.

TIA
    Do you have the builders guide that JE3146 created?

no. is it available?

be the heat..

no. is it available?
    Ten-32 sent it to me a while back. PM me your email address and I will be glad to send it to you.

I'd get a kit from Palmetto State Armory, or at the very least get your upper from them. The price vs quality on their barrels is an unbelievable deal. I used AGI's DVD on the ARs and it was very informative, but it looks llike the guys here have you covered on that.

I have also use Model 1 Sales for a kit and have been happy with it. Oh, watch Palmetto State Armory for there deals on blemished lowers. GREAT buys. In fact, they' got those right now for 59.99: http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...ire-lower.html
    US Constitution: Article 1 Section 8 Paragraph 4

The Congress shall have Power To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization

what kit/s? I really do not have a clue.

is that an ffl delivered receiver.

be the heat..

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I would agree that Palmetto State Armory has some good deals. I would also say that sometimes a complete upper from them is lower cost than buying the separate bits n pieces to assemble one. The only advantage to the B n P method is you can spend smaller amounts and spread it out over time.

You will need some specialty tools to do barrel installation and torque down a flash hider. Brownell's has every tool you'd need, it is where I got my tools for AR building. They sell an AR armorers kit but frankly it is over loaded with things you can do without if you already have certain tools, like pin punches, hammer, screw drivers.

I will link the most important tools for you.
    http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...prod22385.aspx Upper receiver clamping blocks. You need a good sized vice to clamp on this to hold the receiver. This is used when installing the barrel and torqueing down the barrel nut. The lower receiver block that looks like a magazine I do not have, but I would say it would make it easier to hold the receiver for trigger group installation and the buffer tube / stock plus the bolt release and the mag catch / release.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...ake_3=AR-15/M4
    A combo kit that has the former items plus more including a barrel wrench. It has a few things that I wouldn't need but if you don't have much in the way of small tools, punches, etc. it might be the way to go.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...ake_3=AR-15/M4
    This is the cheapest jam nut wrench, only needed if you are building a collapsing stock Carbine rifle

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...s-prod781.aspx
    Last but not least are roll pin holder punches. Several roll pins on an AR; gas tube is pinned to the gas block / front sight tower on fixed iron sight rifles. Roll pins hold in the bolt release / bolt catch and the Forward Assist plunger. The A2 rear sight has roll pins in it. You can install roll pins without these but you need 3 hands most of the time. Using one of these makes it a 2 hand job again. Also, you don't risk launching the roll pin

Lastly, if you did save up and purchase a complete lower half and a complete barreled upper half you could put together a functional weapon with zero tools.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...prod26990.aspx
    I don't know if this is any good but it probably is. A Brownell's DVD on how to build an AR15, about 30 bucks.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

You need a complete rifle kit plus a lower receiver. You'll want your upper receiver to come fully assembled unless you plan on investing in tools, AFAIK. The lower receiver is the part that goes to your FFL. If you really want to make it easy, buy a complete upper and a complete lower and combine the two yourself. Assembling the lower receiver doesn't seem to save you much money these days.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

what kit/s? I really do not have a clue.

is that an ffl delivered receiver.
    The lower receiver, the part that has the magazine well, hammer, trigger and the buttstock is attached to it. That has the serial number and it is a must buy through a Dealer item as it is considered the weapon. http://www.del-ton.com/default.asp Aside from Palmetto State, Del-Ton has pretty good value for the money. I've used several of their barreled uppers over the years. http://www.del-ton.com/Rifle_Kit_p/rkt103.htm here is a link to a 16" lt. barrel AR kit from Delton. I don't believe it has a chrome lined bore, but that can probably be had for an additional $45.

An advantage of that kit is the upper is complete and ready to go. The lower parts to complete a stripped AR15 lower are included and that would eliminate several of the tools I linked earlier in this post, like the upper receiver clamp block.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 05-31-2014 at 11:40 AM.

ok I think I am starting to get it. the lower is the heart and the upper is the function.
    so a blemished lower for 60$ would be good.

be the heat..

Quote Originally Posted by Viking350 View Post
    Ten-32 sent it to me a while back. PM me your email address and I will be glad to send it to you.
    sent

be the heat..

Also, if you buy the upper, the parts kit(s) and the lower from the same vendor, I have heard you should place two orders. One should be the lower receiver only and the other would be everything else. There is some excise tax involved and it involves the serialized component (lower). If you buy everything on one order, they charge that tax on it all. Anyone more knowledgeable than me on this subject, and that isn't hard to be, please chime in.

sent
    Email sent.

Email sent.
    thank you. printing the file as we speak.

be the heat..

thank you. printing the file as we speak.
    My pleasure, sir.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    You need a complete rifle kit plus a lower receiver. You'll want your upper receiver to come fully assembled unless you plan on investing in tools, AFAIK. The lower receiver is the part that goes to your FFL. If you really want to make it easy, buy a complete upper and a complete lower and combine the two yourself. Assembling the lower receiver doesn't seem to save you much money these days.
    The statement about the fully assembled lower is valid. Here is a PSA blem lower, fully assembled for $149.99. http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...-magazine.html

The statement about the fully assembled lower is valid. Here is a PSA blem lower, fully assembled for $149.99. http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...-magazine.html
    Lastly, if you did save up and purchase a complete lower half and a complete barreled upper half you could put together a functional weapon with zero tools.
    Yes I said pretty much those words even before the FunkyPertwee voiced it The lower with an upper and the total weapon cost is just right about $600. On a similar cost point note, I walked into a local gunshop in Lawrenceville, GA and they had S&W rifles for $619. Flat tops with a fixed front and a Magpul BUIs flip up rear sight. I thought that was a pretty sweet deal for an M4 type rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    On a similar cost point note, I walked into a local gunshop in Lawrenceville, GA and they had S&W rifles for $619. Flat tops with a fixed front and a Magpul BUIs flip up rear sight. I thought that was a pretty sweet deal for an M4 type rifle.

That is a very good deal!

If you aren't in a hurry watch for more specials at PSA (palmetto State Armory). Last year I picked up a blemished upper and bolt carrier group for 100 and 70 bucks. The ad said that they had a comesetic blemish and that the logo was missing. As far as I could tell, the logo being absent was the blemish. I'm also a big fan of their customer service.

There was an issue two or three years back with some 300blk gauges being out of spec. This caused some barrels to have incorrect headspace. PSA tracked down everyone that had purchased one of the barrels and sent them a return mail shipping label. They made sure that everything was A-OK and really went the extra mile IMO. Yes, I had an upper that was in the recall.
    US Constitution: Article 1 Section 8 Paragraph 4

The Congress shall have Power To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

I recently helped my uncle order a PSA blemished lower for $150, a PSA blemished complete chrome lined m4 upper for $350, and a Vortex StrikeFire for $100.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

A1 A2 601 602 603 ........ the nomenclature is starting to confuse me.

be the heat..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast