Thread: Glock 19 gen 2

Glock 19 gen 2

Hi all,

So my dad was a NYC police officer about 18 years ago. Just before he retired, the entire police force switched over from the 6 shot revolvers to the new Glock 19's. To make a long story short, my dad was able to keep his glock and for roughly 15 years, never fired a shot through it. My dad is not a gun nut, it must have skipped a generation. lol

So here I am, with a 15 year old, brand new glock 19 gen 2. I couldn't wait to shoot it. When we finally took it to the range, the shell casings ejected right into my forehead, about every two rounds. I am a pretty experienced shooter and am sure the problem was not in my grip or anything. I heard of this problem with gen 4's but I have found nothing on Gen 2's.

Is there any way I can fix this problem? Is it just because the gun is not broken in yet? We only fired about 150 rounds through it. I own a few other handguns but there is something about this glock that just pulls me in. I really want to like it but I can't because of the way the brass hits me in the face.

Thanks,
    Frank

Here are some pics:

IMG_2911.jpg

IMG_2912.jpg

IMG_2914.jpg

IMG_2915.jpg

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

I have a gen 3 and have never had it eject cases anywhere but at an almost 90 degree angle to the right of me. The casing comes out almost as fast as the bullet. I did have a .45 casing drop on my head once when shooting my 1911, but that has no bearing on your question!
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

That sort of thing can be related to the ammo or the extractor. I suppose the extractor spring could be weak, but it is not likely given the low use on the weapon.

That is one G19 I wouldn't mind owninig - NO FINGER GROOVES!
    Yeah, try experimenting with different ammo before replacing any parts.

I'll give some different ammo a try. I used American Eagle last time.

Thanks guys!

- Frank

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

The only brass to the face issues I've had is when I got a .40 conversion barrel for my G29.

With normal 10mm ammo it ejects well to the right and goes about 10 to 15 feet, with the weaker .40 it dribbles out about 5 feet or less and occasionly pops me in the head or face.

Obviously my issue is the weaker ammo, so it's possible with yours still being new and tight and using target ammo, that's the issue.

Once it's broke in it'll probably be fine, the recoil spring will soften up after a few hundred rounds and allow the slide to move a liitle quicker which should help with ejection.