Thread: The Coming Crash in Ammunition Prices

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

The Coming Crash in Ammunition Prices

The Coming Crash in Ammunition Prices
    The Obama caused bubble in ammunition prices seems ready to bust. Over the last few years people have seen ammunition prices double or triple. Handgun and rifle ammunition has been hard to find at times. .22 long rifle ammunition tripled in price over the last 18 months. People would line up to buy ammunition at prices two and three times the level that they were just two years ago.

All of that is about to change. Ammunition supply looks as though it is ready to catch up with demand. Centerfire pistol and rifle cartridges are available on most store shelves. When I walked into a local Wal-Mart this morning, their were over 30 signs on the ammunition case indicating a rollback of prices by 10-15%.

In classic economic fashion, the bubble was fueled by actions of the Federal government. Many federal agencies bought enormous quantities of ammunition. While the quantities were only a small percentage of total production, the raw figures fueled conspiracy theories. Obama administration actions fueled fear of coming shortages, gun bans, registration of ammunition sales, even potential low level warfare. All of this led to the current bubble of ammunition sales.

In response, the economy reacted the way that free markets are supposed to work. Ammunition suppliers started running their manufacturing plants day and night, adding additional shifts. Importers scoured the world markets, trying to buy everything they could to satisfy the insatiable demand. Foreign manufacturers bumped up their production to try to fill the desire for more and more ammunition. Ammunition production was at the highest level ever for small arms, short of war.

But unlike during war, this ammunition was not being fired in combat. Most of it was not being fired at all. It was being stored against future need. Very little was actually being used.

There are limits to this sort of demand.

more: http://gunwatch.blogspot.com/2014/06...on-prices.html
    One can hope...
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    I sure hope so because I am sick of seeing a $7 brick of .22LR selling for $50.

Somehow I figure there is going to be another federal scare that will drive people to buy things they do not need, and pay prices that are crazy high. Seems to be the norm lately, a game of "Panic the Public".

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

The guys at work were ordering 2000 rounds of .22lr for $200... a dime a round for .22lr in quantity. And they thought it was a good deal.
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Just before the latest scare drove prices through the roof, I bought a case of CCI Blazer for $140 delivered and couldn't believe I paid that much. Cannot believe that there are people who are paying $500 for that same case. Makes me sick because these people who can't live without the ammo and are paying a dime a round for .22LR are the biggest cause of these stupid prices. Note I am not blaming the seller for taking advantage of the stupidity as I believe in pure capitalism, even at it's worst.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Prices won't come down until we're all to poor to afford the new prices.

It won't be a happy time.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    Prices won't come down until we're all to poor to afford the new prices.

It won't be a happy time.
    That's what I was thinking too... bad times are on the horizon. People just don't know. And hardly anyone will be anywhere near prepared.

I'm glad I stocked up on ammo over the years well before all of this insanity started. I know many here did too.

But like most, I've really cut-back on my casual/recreational shooting. I've got a good quantity of .22LR but I still hesitate to shoot it... :/
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    That's what I was thinking too... bad times are on the horizon. People just don't know. And hardly anyone will be anywhere near prepared.

I'm glad I stocked up on ammo over the years well before all of this insanity started. I know many here did too.

But like most, I've really cut-back on my casual/recreational shooting. I've got a good quantity of .22LR but I still hesitate to shoot it... :/
    The only good thing about it if it does is we have our brothers here man. By the way if anyone needs any extra I'm sure I'll have a few rounds to spare.
    What's up my nigga's

Most people need to realize that you need to stick with somewhat the same calibers. All of my guns consist of either 9mm, 223/556, 22lr, and 308/7.62x51
    What's up my nigga's

The only hoss I've got in a different cal is the Taurus raging bull. In 454 casull..... And that fucker makes my hand hurt after a couple of rounds.
    What's up my nigga's

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El Laton Caliente View Post
    One can hope...
    Yes one can, and I do. As soon as cases of .22 LR come available at a good price I'm buying at least 1, maybe 2 and will never let it drop below 5,000 rounds again.

Quote Originally Posted by Silentkilla01 View Post
    Most people need to realize that you need to stick with somewhat the same calibers. All of my guns consist of either 9mm, 223/556, 22lr, and 308/7.62x51
    Yes, there's benefits to doing that. But there's also benefits to having a wide variety of calibers - gives you more options if ammo becomes scarce... I personally focus on a few calibers for stocking but have a bunch of others as a by-product of years of collecting...

You are right. Just say Marshall law was in effect and your six months into it. Almost out of ammo on what you saved up and all you can find laying around is 7.62x54r or 8mm mouser..... Good point!!
    What's up my nigga's

Or all you have is 9mm and there's nothing left but 357... Lol your screwed!! The way I see it though if something ever happens like that there will be plenty of shit lying around on the ground anyway...
    What's up my nigga's

O.S.O.K. I have not fired a single round in over a year.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Quote Originally Posted by Silentkilla01 View Post
    Or all you have is 9mm and there's nothing left but 357... Lol your screwed!! The way I see it though if something ever happens like that there will be plenty of shit lying around on the ground anyway...
    If there is that much ammo "laying around" you'll be able to find a different gun too.

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    O.S.O.K. I have not fired a single round in over a year.
    Oh now, you gotta change that. I have to shoot at least once a month or I start shaking lol.

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    If there is that much ammo "laying around" you'll be able to find a different gun too.
    LMAO! Probably so bud. Probably so....
    What's up my nigga's

You ain't lying! I haven't been to the range in over half a year and I am more than a little frustrated.What I'd give for some 20 cent 308 prices so I could get in practice!!
    Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    Oh now, you gotta change that. I have to shoot at least once a month or I start shaking lol.