Thread: Theory on inflated ammo prices and shortages.

Theory on inflated ammo prices and shortages.

I wonder if the introduction of all of the "trainer" rifles chambered in .22 had a lot to do with price increases. Because centerfire cartridges were getting so expensive people started shooting the trainer models in .22 so ammunition manufacturers started to see a decline in centerfire rounds. Especially with the winding down of Iraq and now Afghanistan.

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Well, I've watched AK ammo go from $69 a case to $249/$259 a case or more in a little over 10 years. .308 was $159/1200 in 2002 and it is now over 4 times as high. People can't afford to shoot as much center fire anymore.
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Yes, I think it was the price of centerfire ammo going sky-high pushing existing shooters to trade down to .22LR for practice, people getting into "prepping" and buying the most cost efficient rifles and pistols (.22LR) and buying "stock up" quantities, and finally, just the overall panic purchases by everyone due to the O pushing for and threatening gun confiscation, etc...

I don't think the .22 "trainers" alone had that much of an effect - they were actually a response to the first event that I listed. Existing shooters wanted similar firearms in .22LR to practice with and so manufacturers responded.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~