Thread: Steelheads and their watches

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Question Steelheads and their watches

What watch do you steelheads wear?

I've been a Seiko junkie since I got my first one for graduation in 1978. I've got five Seiko's and one Bulova. The Seiko I wear most often is this Velatura, direct drive Kenetic. Love this bad boy. I always wished Seiko made a larger watch and they finally did.

Pictured with my CRK Large Sebenza 21.

Here is the lone Bulova. Great looking (I usually don't care for any gold on a watch) and it keeps excellent time.

None of my watches are battery operated. I got into selfwinders a long time ago and that is all I buy now.

So what are you blade junkies wearing?
    Last edited by Richard Simmons; 06-13-2014 at 09:44 AM.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Mechanical watches freeze up on my wrist. I use a $27 buck digital Timex. For a blade, I usually carry a Spiderco of some sort.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

I've not had one "freeze up" but I have an allergy or something to certain metals and my skin or sweat will corrode the metal completely away. I've had eyeglass frames wear away and the back of a cheap watch will wear so that the internals become exposed. Had to switch to titanium frames on my eyeglasses and all of my watches have either stainless steel cases and or the back of the case is crystal. I'm wearing of my other Seiko's today and it has the glass back.

Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Interesting about the corrosion, I also have that. I've had Seiko, Acutron and Citizen watches that were electric, but I managed to eat the buttons off them. My first electric watch when I was about 10 years old was an electric Timex. It made the back of my wrist bubble up and the skin flake off like a sunburn. It said Stainless Steel on the back, but I never had a problem on later watches with SS backs on them. The Citizen was my last "Good / Expensive" watch. After that one broke I gave up and moved to these cheep Timex digitals. The back is stainless but the frame is plastic with a chrome plating on it. Eventually the lugs where the watch band pins fit wear out and it falls off. For $27 bucks I go get another one.

They keep accurate time, has a stop watch, alarm clock and calendar. They seem to last me 5 years more or less before the frame breaks. I've yet to wear out a battery on one. In 50 years I might have purchased 10 of them, (should I live that much longer) and will have expended $270 buck or so. The Citizen cost me $375 in 2000 and it lasted 3 years. I like the cost per year ratio I'm getting on the Timex better.