Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR Pistol Project Update

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Cool AR Pistol Project Update

As you regulars know I have been gathering the bits to build an AR15 Pistol with the Sig Shooters Brace thing. There have been two big hold out items; the Samson Evolution II FF handguard and an optic. Well the handguard came in so now for some photos. (Still no optic). I purchased the 10" to go over the Brownell's 1 in 7 twist melonite coated 10.5" barrel. The barrel is equipped with an AAC Blackout 18 tooth to fit my M4-1000 suppressor on the weapon.

Anderson lower, BCM upper with Daniel Defense bolt and Bolt Carrier. Grip is a Moe + that has the rubbery overmolded skin. Sig Brace as mentioned. Phase 5 Tactical buffer tube assembly. Lastly the AAC M4-1000. Waiting on a Vortex Strikefire II red dot with the cantilevered mount to come in from Brownell's. It is Pre / Back ordered.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 06-10-2014 at 07:08 PM.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Very nice!

I would have been tempted to try out the smaller Vortex SPARC II.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

I know next to nothing about AR's be they pistols, carbines or rifles but I do know what I like and I like this gun a lot! Congratulations on a fine looking weapon.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

NICE scheutz!!! Real nice!
    What's up my nigga's

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    That should be one sweet shooter with that hearing protector on the nose and the "arm brace" on the aft end.

Looks great, I really like that handguard.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    Very nice!

I would have been tempted to try out the smaller Vortex SPARC II.
    I was looking seriously at the SPARC II as well. What made me decide was this; 4 moa dot vs. the 2 MOA dot in the SPARC II, only about 2 ozs. more for the Strikefire II over the SPARC II and lastly, the battery. I would rather have the CR123 vs. the coin shaped battery the SPARC II uses. It is a size I already stock for equipment and it gives 200 more hours of sight function for the Strike over the Sparc.

To the rest of you that posted, thanks for the complements. I'm debating shooting it with no sights just to check function or wait until the Strikefire shows up. The wife likes it a lot, I may have to arm wrestle her for it.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 06-10-2014 at 07:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Adog View Post
    Looks great, I really like that handguard.
    Thanks btw for selling me the gas tube. It is in there under the handguards. What I didn't show is how slender they are, not much wider than the upper receiver, very trim and light. They do come with a long section and short section rail and mounts that can be added to the HG. I probably will end up with the Magpul grip thing and maybe a small flash light mounted on it. Perfect for home defense.

What are you going to use that for? Oh home defense and them Chipmunks in the garden?
    nice build.

how is that can attached to the firearm?
    Last edited by l921428x; 06-11-2014 at 12:33 AM.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    What are you going to use that for? Oh home defense and them Chipmunks in the garden?
    nice build.

how is that can attached to the firearm?
    Read my opening post?
    The barrel is equipped with an AAC Blackout 18 tooth to fit my M4-1000 suppressor on the weapon.
    http://www.advanced-armament.com/BLA...der_p_446.html Link to the Blackout flash hider.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 06-11-2014 at 05:36 AM.

Looks great. I know you favor the Aimpoint PRO and its a great optic from all I've read, but once you give the Vortex a chance I think you'll like the quality~value ratio.
    Face your fear, accept your war.

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

Good-looking AR with that fore-end and muzzle device, especially with suppressor attached. Word on the street is that Sig will be discontinuing that particular arm brace by the end of this year and replacing it with something less aesthetically pleasing (more "L"-shaped). JSYK for everyone who is on the fence about getting one. Also, I believe there are special "Sig Arm Brace" receiver extensions that make for a longer length of pull compared to a standard pistol length extension.
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

So stupid that we have to resort to bracing devices for short weapons without jumping through the SBR registration hoops and paying the tax...

Nice looking rig Schutz. Should be a great shooter! Looking forward to the range reports!
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Quote Originally Posted by TEN-32 View Post
    Looks great. I know you favor the Aimpoint PRO and its a great optic from all I've read, but once you give the Vortex a chance I think you'll like the quality~value ratio.
    Yes for a serious rifle, the Aimpoint PRO is da bomb IMO. I am giving Vortex a try, it is less than half the price at about $180 bucks. I have seen / read vids and reviews of the Vortex products. I am convinced they are solid units but ... I don't consider them in the same class as the Aimpoint. I do think they are in a class equal to the Eotechs. The big difference is battery life. When a sight can run years on 1 battery if left on, it is in a class all of its own.

For this novelty weapon I think the Vortex is more than good enough. It is a handgun and as such I don't expect it to do more than 50 yards max from a practical bullet energy point of view. It is a novelty item to me, makes me grin, but it wouldn't be my choice right now as a "go to" weapon despite my remark about perfect for home defense.

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    So stupid that we have to resort to bracing devices for short weapons without jumping through the SBR registration hoops and paying the tax...

Nice looking rig Schutz. Should be a great shooter! Looking forward to the range reports!
    Me too! I may cave in to the "need to know" and just go shoot it without sights. At least that will give me a function check on it with and without the suppressor on it. I placed the order for the Hanguard and Vortex on May 27th. Shortly afterwards the Samson handguard came back to In Stock status and now it is Out of Stock again. It seems they are very popular. Having one now, I can't think of any other handguard system I'd like more.

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post

And what so bad about it most people I e seen on you tube shooting with the same stock thingy shoots it like a rifle and never uses the damn thing like it's designed for.... Lol
    What's up my nigga's

Just checked Brownell's and the Vortex Strikefire II is in stock and my backorder is showing "In Process". Probably means it'll be Monday when I get it. I can hardly wait!

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    I was looking seriously at the SPARC II as well. What made me decide was this; 4 moa dot vs. the 2 MOA dot in the SPARC II, only about 2 ozs. more for the Strikefire II over the SPARC II and lastly, the battery. I would rather have the CR123 vs. the coin shaped battery the SPARC II uses. It is a size I already stock for equipment and it gives 200 more hours of sight function for the Strike over the Sparc.

To the rest of you that posted, thanks for the complements. I'm debating shooting it with no sights just to check function or wait until the Strikefire shows up. The wife likes it a lot, I may have to arm wrestle her for it.
    Good points about the optics, although I actually prefer a 2 MOA dot over a 4.

I just mounted a strike fire 1 for my uncles new AR. They're running $99 at Palmetto Arms. I looked up the Strikefire II but couldn't find any differences between it and the original, although I would assume the Strikefire II comes with the simplified user interface seen on the SPARC II.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Just checked Brownell's and the Vortex Strikefire II is in stock and my backorder is showing "In Process". Probably means it'll be Monday when I get it. I can hardly wait!
    What's up my nigga's

Quote Originally Posted by Silentkilla01 View Post
    And what so bad about it most people I e seen on you tube shooting with the same stock thingy shoots it like a rifle and never uses the damn thing like it's designed for.... Lol
    Don't knock it. It seems like a good work-around for lame NFA laws and the ATF came out and said you're free to hold the thing however you want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast