Thread: Interesting Smith model 19 for sale

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Interesting Smith model 19 for sale

Interesting because it is a special edition, and interesting because it is a like-new model 19-4 for $700, which I would be paying right now if I had it.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=421338217

"I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Thumbs up

Not a fan of the markings but I love the stocks and it is pinned and recessed with three T's so I'd grab it at $700.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    Not a fan of the markings but I love the stocks and it is pinned and recessed with three T's so I'd grab it at $700.
    My thoughts exactly.

What does "three T's" mean?
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    My thoughts exactly.

What does "three T's" mean?
    Target stocks, target hammer and target trigger.

The target stocks are obvious but I'm not 100% on the hammer and trigger but they look like they are target width. As soon as I get home I'll look this one up in the catalog and see exactly what it is, if it's listed. Most of the limited/special issues like this are.
    Last edited by Richard Simmons; 06-12-2014 at 03:19 PM.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Target stocks, target hammer and target trigger.

The target stocks are obvious but I'm not 100% on the hammer and trigger but they look like they are target width. As soon as I get home I'll look this one up in the catalog and see exactly what it is, if it's listed. Most of the limited/special issues like this are.
    I see.

In that case my 19-4 that I inherited has the three T's.

I really wish I could buy this now, just to have a like-new model 19-4.

I found two on the S&W forum. One sold for $625 shipped three years ago and that included the case and everything. Another one was listed two years ago, also complete for $850 + shipping but doesn't appear to have sold. I still don't think $700 is a bad price considering that a standard 19-4 is similar condition would see for about the same, maybe more as not everyone wants the bling of a commemorative model. Figure at $700 + $30 freight and another $20-$30 for transfer and your looking at $750 +/-

Checked my Standard Catalog of S&W, 3rd Edition which is the most recent reference I know of and this Detroit PD Commemorative is not listed. Kind of odd since there are other commemoratives from the same time frame with more and less pieces than this one listed. I guess some fall through the cracks.
    Last edited by Richard Simmons; 06-12-2014 at 04:35 PM.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

I found two on the S&W forum. One sold for $625 shipped three years ago and that included the case and everything. Another one was listed two years ago, also complete for $850 + shipping but doesn't appear to have sold. I still don't think $700 is a bad price considering that a standard 19-4 is similar condition would see for about the same, maybe more as not everyone wants the bling of a commemorative model. Figure at $700 + $30 freight and another $20-$30 for transfer and your looking at $750 +/-

Checked my Standard Catalog of S&W, 3rd Edition which is the most recent reference I know of and this Detroit PD Commemorative is not listed. Kind of odd since there are other commemoratives from the same time frame with more and less pieces than this one listed. I guess some fall through the cracks.
    Thanks for the insight! Your really on top of your S&W and Buck knowledge.

I have no money to spend right now but maybe after I sell a worthless-to-me Rossi, I may go looking for a decent used model 28 or 13 or even a model 10 if I get a good deal. S&W fever really hits me hard now and then.

Talking

I have no money to spend right now but maybe after I sell a worthless-to-me Rossi, I may go looking for a decent used model 28 or 13 or even a model 10 if I get a good deal. S&W fever really hits me hard now and then.
    Thank you for the compliment. I have a great passion for firearms in general but S&W revolvers are the second love of my life, (my wife is and always will be my first). I'm pretty enamored with Colts as well but I have a long ways to go with my learning curve on those. I got into knives a number of years ago and though I have hundreds from various makers Buck just kind of spoke to me with their designs, history of family ownership, etc. There is a lot of overlap between the two interests as they both involve nicely crafted bits of steel and wood that have a variety of uses that can and do include protecting ones life should the need arise.

The only thing I love more then learning and acquiring is helping others when I can as best I can. All I ask is that no one blame me when the wife gets a peek at your bank account or credit card statement.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Thank you for the compliment. I have a great passion for firearms in general but S&W revolvers are the second love of my life, (my wife is and always will be my first). I'm pretty enamored with Colts as well but I have a long ways to go with my learning curve on those. I got into knives a number of years ago and though I have hundreds from various makers Buck just kind of spoke to me with their designs, history of family ownership, etc. There is a lot of overlap between the two interests as they both involve nicely crafted bits of steel and wood that have a variety of uses that can and do include protecting ones life should the need arise.

The only thing I love more then learning and acquiring is helping others when I can as best I can. All I ask is that no one blame me when the wife gets a peek at your bank account or credit card statement.
    I second Funk's sentiments. You have helped me several times with S&W questions. Your knowledge and your generosity in sharing it is greatly appreciated.