Thread: Loads for .357 Magnum?

Loads for .357 Magnum?

How many of you reload .38 Special or .357 Magnum?
    A relative has an SP101 snubbie and I have a 4" GP100 and I'm looking for "recipes" for both. I'm particularly interested in JSPs or JHPs for the .357 that are above 140 grains.
    I have been saving our brass but don't yet have dies for my Lee press. What I need to learn (and the internet hasn't been all that "helpful") is what primer to use (small/large pistol, magnum pistol), and preferably ONE type of powder that could be used for both 125 gr. AND 158 gr. bullets.
    If anybody has links to that type of info, or has done their own reloads, I would very much like to hear from you!

Thanks!
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Don't have an load data for you but I do own and shoot the snubby SP101. Any load you can shoot comfortably in the GP100 isn't going to feel nearly as good in the SP101. My carries the SP101 now and she uses the .38 Special +P 158gr SWCHP FBI load. IIRC that load runs about 850fps and isn't bad in the Ruger
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I won't give you grain weight charges but powders I've used for the .357 magnum that worked well are; WW296, H110, Accurate #9. I used these with 158 gr. JHP, SP and hard cast gas checked (I cast them) bullets. I never exceeded maximum loads listed in reloading manuals. However, I did use the max loads most of the time. Mostly used CCI small magnum pistol primers with all those powders.

hodgdons site is pretty good for info.

BUT IMHO, spend $24 and buy a lyman book .
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post
    hodgdons site is pretty good for info.

BUT IMHO, spend $24 and buy a lyman book .
    +1, I wouldn't take anyones special recipe without comparing it against a published reloading manual. That said, I have noticed a HUGE disparity between different manuals. I figure as long as the load is safely below the maximum listed in one of them then it should be good. If you are doing this, pay attention to the COL as the seat depth can influence pressure and I have noticed that that also can vary from manual to manual.

Thanks for all the info people! I figured you could give me some good information and/or links I hadn't found.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

I don't have a recipe off the top of my head but I do have a suggestion. (some don't even think about this) If you shoot .38s in a .357, make sure you clean the chambers well before you go back to magnums.

The .38 builds up a nice little carbon ring, then when you go to the magnums, they can get good and tight from expansion when firing. Extraction can be brutal. I'm talking "wooden mallet" brutal.

Same goes for .44 Special in a .44 mag. chamber and so on. For all who know this great. If not I hope I have saved someone some grief...

Thanks Darrell. I had heard that can cause problems but it never hurts to remind others!