View Poll Results: Do you have one in the chamber when you carry a pistol with no manual safety?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chambered

34 85.00%
  • Not Chambered

6 15.00%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: One in the chamber poll

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2014 Hatedbysheeple's Avatar

For weapons condition codes, here is what is in current use for us.

Closed bolt weapon that is not single action
    1. Mag inserted, round chambered, slide/bolt forward, safety on.
    2. Not applicable to these weapons
    3. Mag inserted, chamber empty, slide forward, safety on.
    4. Mag not inserted, chamber empty, slide forward, safety on.

Single action, eg. 1911
    1. Mag inserted, round in chamber, slide forward, hammer cocked, safety on.
    2. Mag inserted, round in chamber, slide forward, hammer forward, safety on.
    3. Mag inserted, chamber empty, slide forward, hammer forward, safety on.
    4. No mag, chamber empty, slide forward, hammer forward, safety on.

Open bolt weapon
    1. Mag or belt inserted, chamber empty, bolt to the rear, safety on.
    2. Not applicable
    3. Mag or belt inserted, chamber empty, bolt forward, safety on*
    4. Mag or belt not present, chamber empty, bolt forward, safety on*

*(some open bolt weapons like the m240 can not be placed on safe when the bolt is forward)

For something like our sig m11-a1's, since there is no manual safety it is just left out of the equation, everything else still applies, same goes for Glocks.

We do not use condition 0

Sig m-11 huh? You navy? Or has this platform gone around to most?
    What's up my nigga's

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2014 Hatedbysheeple's Avatar

No I think we are the only ones who use it

One thing I would like to add is that if you've had to draw your weapon or fire your weapon, you should be in no hurry to holster it. Keep it out and ready and scanning for additional threats. No one should shoot themselves reholstering a weapon in a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by ready View Post
    One thing I would like to add is that if you've had to draw your weapon or fire your weapon, you should be in no hurry to holster it. Keep it out and ready and scanning for additional threats. No one should shoot themselves reholstering a weapon in a hurry.
    No doubt. I'll have it drawn till the cops show up and make sure the MF'er is dead. Then I'll clear and reholster.
    What's up my nigga's

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

Well we have 30 people here who carry with one in the pipe and to the best of my knowledge none of us has shot himself.

Could it be that people that shoot themselves are not the brightest bulbs on the tree or is it that we're all just exceptionally lucky?

I can't even begin to count the number of times I've holstered a handgun without shooting myself.

Quote Originally Posted by weevil View Post
    Well we have 30 people here who carry with one in the pipe and to the best of my knowledge none of us has shot himself.

Could it be that people that shoot themselves are not the brightest bulbs on the tree or is it that we're all just exceptionally lucky?

I can't even begin to count the number of times I've holstered a handgun without shooting myself.
    shooting yourself DOES happen. do not feel smug.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    Shooting yourself happens when you get complacent with gun safety.

Practice practice practice. if you get your draw into muscle memory you will do it right when you need to.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

31 carry with one in the pipe, 6 don't so it is 5 to 1. The most common thread to people that shoot; things, themselves or others by accident is that they thought it (the weapon) wasn't loaded. Weapons discharging a round due to mechanical failure is very very rare. Follow the golden rules of not pointing the muzzle at anything you're not willing to live with shooting and keeping your finger off the trigger until the weapon is pointed at the desired target never fail.

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post

Well with a 40+ year record of being around guns on a regular basis without shooting myself I'd say I must be doing something right.

No not "smug" just confident in my own personal abilitity to not be a dumbass and shoot myself. If you do shoot yourself you have obviously broken one of the cardinal rules of gun safety.

Lots of stupid shit happens to careless and foolish people but that doesn't mean I have to sink to the lowest common denominator to be safe.

Well with a 40+ year record of being around guns on a regular basis without shooting myself I'd say I must be doing something right.

No not "smug" just confident in my own personal abilitity to not be a dumbass and shoot myself. If you do shoot yourself you have obviously broken one of the cardinal rules of gun safety.

Lots of stupid shit happens to careless and foolish people but that doesn't mean I have to sink to the lowest common denominator to be safe.
    So your saying one who chooses not to have a round in the chamber is the lowest common denominator???
    What's up my nigga's

Quote Originally Posted by Silentkilla01 View Post
    So your saying one who chooses not to have a round in the chamber is the lowest common denominator???

It's lower than I wanna be, even lower would be to not carry a gun at all.

You have to be the judge of your own skill level and ability.

If you don't feel confident you won't shoot yourself then you probably have a good reason and I agree the world is a better place if you don't have one in the chamber.

By the same token there are quite a few people I know that I thank the Lord everyday that they don't have the urge to carry a gun.

I can only speak for myself and I do feel confident that I am not endangering myself or others by carrying a round in the chamber.
    Last edited by weevil; 06-28-2014 at 11:56 AM.

It's lower than I wanna be, even lower would be to not carry a gun at all.

You have to be the judge of your own skill level and ability.

If you don't feel confident you won't shoot yourself then you probably have a good reason and I agree the world is a better place if you don't have one in the chamber.

By the same token there are quite a few people I know that I thank the Lord everyday that they don't have the urge to carry a gun.

I can only speak for myself and I do feel confident that I am not endangering myself or others by carrying a round in the chamber.
    It not at all that I don't trust myself. It's just some of the things I've seen happen to professionals and real good men that knew what they where doing with any kind of gun you can just about think of that's in out militaries arsenal. It's just that one time. And believe me it only takes once to fuck up no matter how good or how safe you think you might be. But opinions are like assholes, everyone has them. We can go on and on about the same thing all day. So I agree to disagree friend.
    What's up my nigga's

Quote Originally Posted by Silentkilla01 View Post
    It not at all that I don't trust myself. It's just some of the things I've seen happen to professionals and real good men that knew what they where doing with any kind of gun you can just about think of that's in out militaries arsenal. It's just that one time. And believe me it only takes once to fuck up no matter how good or how safe you think you might be. But opinions are like assholes, everyone has them. We can go on and on about the same thing all day. So I agree to disagree friend.

Well if we agreed it wouldn't be much of a debate now would it?

We all have to make our own choices based upon our own "opinions" and as long as you aren't like the anti's and try to force your ways on me we'll get along just fine.

It's risk assessment. Is there a greater danger that you'll shoot yourself drawing your weapon or that a bad guy will kill you or someone you care about before you can draw, chamber, aim and fire?

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456