Thread: 71% of Americans Now Say Iraq War Wasn't Worth It

Arrow 71% of Americans Now Say Iraq War Wasn't Worth It

A divided nation finally agrees on something overwhelmingly: the war in Iraq was simply not worth fighting.

Seventy-one percent of Americans now say that the war in Iraq “wasn’t worth it,” a new NBC News/Wall Street Journal/Annenberg poll shows, with skepticism about the lengthy war effort up substantially even in the last 18 months.

Just 22 percent now believe the 2003 war effort was worthwhile.

In a January 2013 NBC/Wall Street Journal poll asking the same question, 59 percent of Americans said the war wasn’t worth it, versus 35 percent who said the opposite.

Half of respondents also said that the United States does not have a responsibility to help the Iraqi government as the country descends into sectarian violence, while 43 percent said that America should intervene.
    http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/ira...e-poll-n139686

Wow. Even public sentiment over Vietnam was more popular at its lowest point.

The more we try to "help"...
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

I propose a new amendment to the constitution. One where politicians and their familes are the first drafted to fight in any war they support, and not some duty like remf but front line combat duty. And not only that, they must remain in combat untill the war ends.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Damn straight!

"That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 5.56NATO View Post
    I propose a new amendment to the constitution. One where politicians and their familes are the first drafted to fight in any war they support, and not some duty like remf but front line combat duty. And not only that, they must remain in combat untill the war ends.
    I second that amendment.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

A bitter pill to all the US servicemen who served their country during the conflict.

Just like in Vietnam, the war was won but the "peace" was lost.

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

We left troops in Japan, Korea, Germany, Philippines... and all those became stable allies. Viet Nam and Iraq we pulled out completely and they were over run. Have we learned the lesson yet?
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

My opinion probably going to be a very unpopular one; We should have re-aligned with Saddam Hussien after GW1. I think the reason we didn't has a lot to do with our fear of pissing off the Saudis. Saddam wasn't a friend of Al Quada, he didn't sponsor terror, and he wasn't a religious extremist. He was able to keep a handle on what apparently is a huge clusterfuck of a country and finally he was no friend of Iran. Iran is the real threat to the western world. Iran sponsors terrorism, along with the Saudis. I think Saddam's move against Kuwait was unfortunate because as they say, an enemy of my enemy is my friend. In retrospect it seems like guys like Saddam and Qaddafi helped stabilize the region with their brutality.

what to do today? should we send more of our people over there to try to stabalize that mess and get them killed? Is it defending America and fighting for our freedom? If not, don't get involved. Run, don't walk, in the other direction.

Knowing only what we know from the media, I wouldn't second guess the reasoning for the war. I'm sure there is a lot that we will never know. I am more inclined to be against the nation building in Iraq and Afghanistan. I was more for a three state solution to Iraq, Suni, Shiite, and Kurd states (would have pissed off everybody though). Afghanistan? Who knows. Nothing seems to work there....Either way, kick their butts and leave with a loud, "Don't make me come back".

Scott
    Always Remember:
    A firearm is only an instrument. It contains no evil, no conscience, and no ability. It is strictly the intent, competence, and character of its user that decide the outcome of any and all actions taken with it.
    (I don't know who to credit but I like the quote.)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

71% huh??

im pretty fucking sure they didnt poll 222,000,000 people.

these polls are fucking stupid .
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!