Thread: Took a trip to the Orient

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Thumbs up Took a trip to the Orient

Been reading a lot about Rough Rider brand knives as far as low price and great fit and finish. I don't have an issue with where a knife is made as long as it's not a ripoff/counterfeit/forgery. I actually found the first one in jigged bone in a local resale shop but they wanted slightly more than retail for a used knife so I started looking on the net and ebay and found these. They are a sodbuster pattern with a brass liner lock type system.

The jigged bone cost me something like $14 with free shipping. Model # RR304

This one has yellow Delrin type scales and set me back a whopping $13, again with free shipping. Model # RR817

Both are made in China and stamped 440 Razor Sharp Steel. Don't know if it's 440A or 440C but they came very sharp and I've carried the red jigged bone model for a couple weeks and it still slices paper effortlessly.

Nether knife is a knockoff or copy that I can tell unless you consider any sodbuster pattern made since the first one as being a copy. Both are long pull with no half stop. On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the hardest I'd put the pull at a 4. Lockup is rock solid with centered blades. The liner lock is hitting at about 40-50% on the lock bar. These aren't small sodbusters. Blade is about 3.75" and the overall length is around 8.25"

If you are looking for something in a larger Sodbuster pattern for carry, use in the garden, glovebox, etc. these are looking to me like a fantastic value. The fact they have a liner lock is a plus IMHO though I have plenty of slipjoints the extra margin of safety to keep the blade from closing on you during use isn't a bad thing. If they did not have it I'd still have bought them and thought them a great value.

If you're a consumer that in no way supports purchasing Chinese made products then don't worry. I'm sure I've got something for a future review that will work for you too.

Until next time watch your patina and stay honed.

P.S. Both knives shipped for a dealer in the U.S. so it only took 2-3 days for the knives to arrive.
    Last edited by Richard Simmons; 06-22-2014 at 11:48 AM.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell