Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Feeding Large Marge

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 NewbieAKguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    Yeah, I would have loved to get a full auto 1918 but at the time $3,800 versus $25,000+ it seemed like the OOW option was the better way to go. Marge doesn't shoot quite as fast as the real deal but with ammo prices and availability the way they are that's not such a bad thing. Off the bipod you can still run through 20rds pretty darn fast. OOW did a write-up years ago where they range tested a 1918A3 with I believe 168gr match ammo and got .75" groups at 100yds. I've not tried any match ammo in Marge but I've got some Sierra Match King bullets so I might try and load some and give it a try. I do wish that I could mount a scope and see what she can really do.
    I totally agree price wise and would have done the same as you. Like I said, it's mega-millions To-Get list .
    "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time; the hand of force may destroy, but cannot disjoin them. ... Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever."--Thomas Jefferson

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

For those of you who have or might be considering adding a 1918A3 OOW BAR to you collection I thought I'd add a few links to articles about their rifle for your review.

http://www.guns.com/2012/04/05/ohio-...918-slr-video/

If you look at the little video of the guy firing off the bench you'll note that the recoil is really, really light with this rifle. I'd say shooting 30.06 ball out of Marge is similar to shooting .38/.357 out of a Marlin lever action rifle.

I can't recall what I paid for Marge but it seems like it was around $3,200.00. I know at that time there were two different prices depending of whether you ordered her with the walnut or the bakelite stock with the walnut costing more. I ordered the walnut and IIRC picked up the bakelite for maybe $20-$25 from Numrich or Sarco. OOW sells the complete bakelite stock for just under $400 so I did well with my choice.

When I bought Marge you could get 400rds of LC from the CMP for something like $115 a can. Surplus Korean KA and PS were around $70 for the same amount though the KA was corrosive so you couldn't slack on cleaning after a range trip. New in the wrap G.I. mags were $20 or less and good used mags were 1/2 that price. Still, even with todays ammo prices and the higher price on the OOW 1918A3 it's not a bad way to own an example of a piece of firearms/military history without approaching a new car payment in cost.
    Last edited by Richard Simmons; 07-12-2014 at 09:29 AM.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12