Thread: Something I drew up last night.

Something I drew up last night.

What is it? And why would I post it in the Class III/Title II forum (well I guess it could have gone in the gunsmith forum too)? I'm glad you asked.

This is a project to complete another project. That is a gate guide for my grinder that will allow me to grind a 29* point on a lathe tool bit (10% Cobalt alloy for cutting titanium). That way I can cut ACME threads for my QA/QD silencer mount/muzzle brake. Hopefully, in the next few days I'll be able to update with the actual guide, and a few tool bits.
    US Constitution: Article 1 Section 8 Paragraph 4

The Congress shall have Power To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization

If you're good like me, you can just eyeball a 29* point on the bit ...useing a wheel grinder.

Sounds like a cool project, good luck.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Mmm ok. Can't wait to see the photos.

Here it is, finished it yesterday.

The plate is tapped but I put some nuts on anyway to act as locks. I'm thinking that the guide plate should be a bit closer to the grinding wheel but I'm going to try it like this and see how it does. I've already drawn up another guide plate for doing 60* V threads. I'll start on it after lunch today. It'll be set a bit closer to the grinding wheel.

Heck yeah, that's a great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Adog View Post
    Heck yeah, that's a great idea.
    Thanks, but like most great ideas. . . . I stole it. Saw a device on youtube that I guy made for grinding correct angles on tool bits and adopted it. His device held the tool bit securely without going into the gate guide. The user would have to keep it in line with the bottom of the "shelf". I modified that idea by making it go into the gate guide. I actually think my idea is a bit better, but would not have thought of it without seeing his.

Well, this morning I finished the guide for making a 60* V threading tool.

You can see in this side by side that it sits much closer to the grinding wheel than the first guide I made. I may yet move that one up a bit.

Just for S & Gs, here's a pic of my tool grinder:

Now I don't do the initial grinding on the tool grinder shown above. That machine is for doing the final work. Here's a photo of what the roughing out is done on.

Oh, and doing the layout work on the plate aluminum was made a bit easier with this machinist protractor I found in my late fathers tool cabinet. (Would you believe that it's a Craftsman brand?)

Well, that's what I've done so far. I guess I'll start grinding tool bits. . .

Nice job. I could use something like that when I make blades.

Quote Originally Posted by ready View Post
    Nice job. I could use something like that when I make blades.
    Thanks. The hardest part for me was getting the exact correct angle scribed on the plate aluminum. I used some layout die and even resorted to a jewlers magnifying head set to see as well as possible. The ACME guide was especially hard because that was a 14.5* angle.

That is cool man!
    What's up my nigga's

Well done and I am envious of your metal working equipment. I should of checked back on this thread earlier. I finally got around to it as I'm in England on a business trip and it is almost over. I have the afternoon of today, (Friday) and later one of the local company employees will pick me up and we will head to Birmingham England to do a Pub Crawl.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Well done and I am envious of your metal working equipment. I should of checked back on this thread earlier. I finally got around to it as I'm in England on a business trip and it is almost over. I have the afternoon of today, (Friday) and later one of the local company employees will pick me up and we will head to Birmingham England to do a Pub Crawl.
    That's what I'm talking about! Pub crawl! Hell yeah.
    What's up my nigga's

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Thanks. Enjoy yourself overthere. I wish you a safe return.

Thanks. No hangover this morning. It is 7:45 AM as I type this, I see back home US time is 2:45 AM.