Thread: American Rifleman (NRA) Shills for Ruger

American Rifleman (NRA) Shills for Ruger

Anyone read the Mini-30 discussion in the current issue of American Rifleman (pages 36-37)? From reading this I now know that designing a 7.62 x 39 rifle to fire steel core ammo would represent (per the NRA) a "bad business practice" and that (per Ruger) the Mini-30 will suffer extractor breakage from firing steel case ammo. Also, (per the NRA) the consolation for buying a Mini-30 that is not designed to fire steel core ammo is that the Mini-30 will deliver "better accuracy" than an AK or SKS which in my experience is total bullshit. I sure am glad I never bought a Mini-30. Actually I will never buy another Ruger, due to my mistake of buying their SR 556 and then finding out this poorly designed rifle has a captive operating rod and spring but I guess that is a topic for another post.

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jet3534 View Post
    Anyone read the Mini-30 discussion in the current issue of American Rifleman (pages 36-37)? From reading this I now know that designing a 7.62 x 39 rifle to fire steel core ammo would represent (per the NRA) a "bad business practice" and that (per Ruger) the Mini-30 will suffer extractor breakage from firing steel case ammo. Also, (per the NRA) the consolation for buying a Mini-30 that is not designed to fire steel core ammo is that the Mini-30 will deliver "better accuracy" than an AK or SKS which in my experience is total bullshit. I sure am glad I never bought a Mini-30. Actually I will never buy another Ruger, due to my mistake of buying their SR 556 and then finding out this poorly designed rifle has a captive operating rod and spring but I guess that is a topic for another post.
    What does steel cased have to do with steel cored? Are they that stupid?
    Last edited by rci2950; 07-04-2014 at 03:32 AM.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Quote Originally Posted by rci2950 View Post
    What does steel cased have to do with steel cored? Are they that stupid?
    My bad. I intended to say steel case in my post above, not steel core. The issue per them is a steel case does not meet SAMMI specs and causes "case coating fouling" (whatever that is) of the firing pin and gas system. For some reason I have fired thousands of rounds of steel case ammo over the years and never experienced this problems including a lot of steel case rounds fired in a Mini-14.

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

I just read that this morning, my first thought when i read the question was that the knuckle head using the ammo didn't know how to properly clean his rifle ( lacquer thinner and a chamber brush work well). Yea lacquer coated ammo can be a problem if you don't like to clean your gun.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

Yeah I read that, just another reason I'll pass on a Mini.

I always thought that was why Ruger came out with the Mine 30, so there was an American made rifle that would shoot all the cheap surplus ammo that was flooding in at the time.

Kinda defeats the purpose if it chokes on the ammo it's supposed to be able to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by davepool View Post
    I just read that this morning, my first thought when i read the question was that the knuckle head using the ammo didn't know how to properly clean his rifle ( lacquer thinner and a chamber brush work well). Yea lacquer coated ammo can be a problem if you don't like to clean your gun.
    Well not really a problem with your average AK or SKS, they're renowned for being able to blast away regardless of how filthy and crudded-up they are.

No matter how you spin it the Mini just doesn't match up.

If you're gonna spend all your time cleaning the damn thing you might as well get an AR of some sort.

Last edited by weevil; 07-04-2014 at 12:00 PM.

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

I ran out of the lacquer coated steel cased ammo years ago, the stuff i'm stocked up now has the new stuff, i forget what it is , polyrazmataz or something, either way i never had problems in any of it in my AKs

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by davepool View Post
    I ran out of the lacquer coated steel cased ammo years ago, the stuff i'm stocked up now has the new stuff, i forget what it is , polyrazmataz or something, either way i never had problems in any of it in my AKs
    Golden Tiger and Brown Bear both offer the lacquer coated cases again.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    Golden Tiger and Brown Bear both offer the lacquer coated cases again.
    And very good ammo it is. I'm happy to see GT is loading 5.45x39 in lacquered steel these days as well as the old 7.62x39 stuff.

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    Yeah, I lost all faith in gun rags when one of them said the reason .380 ammo went crazy in 2008 was because ruger released the lcp

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    Yeah, I lost all faith in gun rags when one of them said the reason .380 ammo went crazy in 2008 was because ruger released the lcp
    I think Ruger had a lot to do with the return of the popularity of .380, but not them alone. Kel-Tec and Khar did a lot to bring it back as well.

I know people weren't buying it all for their PPK pistols.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    I think Ruger had a lot to do with the return of the popularity of .380, but not them alone. Kel-Tec and Khar did a lot to bring it back as well.

I know people weren't buying it all for their PPK pistols.
    But to credit the release of what is entirely a copy of a gun that was out a decade before with the 2008 ammo shortage?

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    But to credit the release of what is entirely a copy of a gun that was out a decade before with the 2008 ammo shortage?
    That definitely sounds over the top if they laid it square on the Ruger LCP.

But the resurgence of the popularity of the .380 is definitely due to the fact that more people are carrying concealed and there are more modern .380 pistols on the market now than in years past.

I read the article and what I got out of it was the tolerances on the mini-30 were tighter than those on an sks or ak variant. jmo.

I think polymer was the word you were looking for.
    Last edited by l921428x; 07-10-2014 at 12:37 AM.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    I read the article and what I got out of it was the tolerances on the mini-30 were tighter than those on an sks or ak variant. jmo.

Well yeah and probably more accurate because of it..........at least until the barrel heats up.

But most people like the guy in the article are shocked when their nice new rifle with the tight tolerances chokes and they start blaming the cheap commie ammo.

Yeah it probably would be a lot more reliable with $20 a box premium American made ammo, but something tells me the guy didn't get it just so he could shoot high dollar premium ammo.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post

What is tighter in my opinion is that they have a .308 groove diameter barrel or at least they did in the 1990's. Not sure what they are doing today with that weapon type. Ruger in the 80's and 90's were masters of cutting corners on barrel quality and the weapons shot like shit because of it. To keep from blowing them up they'd put a long tapered throat in the barrel to try and let the .310 spec. Commie bullet get squeezed down and not pressure spike too much in the process.