Thread: 1:12 AR barrels

1:12 AR barrels

Anyone know where to get one? Preferably a lightweight 16" or less?

just askin. why a 1 in 12?
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

I have a dedicated .22 upper with a 1:16 twist and a 1:7 twist 5.56 upper. I was thinking a nice lightweight 1:12 barrel would be a happy medium for .22 and 55gr 5.56.

When I bought the dedicated upper I thought it would be the best option for training on an AR platform but I kinda feel like it's a waste of an upper.

I guess I could settle for a 1:9 pencil barrel if I can find one.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Actually a 1:12 barrel would do nicely for a defensive AR 15 as the round would be less stable and inflict more damage. See early Vietnam. The tighter twists became a requirement because shooting a 1:12 into jungle over and undergrowth would deflect the round from the point of aim, whereas the tighter twist rate and greater round rotation allowed it to continue on a straight path through the plant life. Unfortunately it would also do less immediate damage to the person trying to kill you.

I believe some were also 1:14 but I could be mistaken as that was a long time ago and any brain cells have been snuffed out by AK-addiction.

1:14 in the first AR15, pre- M16 days

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    Actually a 1:12 barrel would do nicely for a defensive AR 15 as the round would be less stable and inflict more damage. See early Vietnam. The tighter twists became a requirement because shooting a 1:12 into jungle over and undergrowth would deflect the round from the point of aim, whereas the tighter twist rate and greater round rotation allowed it to continue on a straight path through the plant life. Unfortunately it would also do less immediate damage to the person trying to kill you.

I believe some were also 1:14 but I could be mistaken as that was a long time ago and any brain cells have been snuffed out by AK-addiction.
    Depending on bullet weight that is. A 42,52,55gr bullet would probably do very nice in it. Get any higher and the bullet would do cart wheels
    What's up my nigga's

Yeah I bet it would suck to get hit by one of those lightweight varmint rounds.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I'd have to search around, it seems I've seen some 1 in 12's but they were bolt gun barrels designed to shoot 55 gr. or less varmint bullets. On this topic, there is a bore dimension difference as well as twist. .22 LR bullets are smaller in diameter so they really don't seal up well in addition to not needing the faster twist. In fact my opinion is the inaccuracy of most of the drop in .22 LR conversion systems in full caliber barreled uppers is due to this issue of size vs. the twist. Additionally the bullets jump through a smooth hole until they hit any rifling. These systems have a dummy .223 cartridge that the bullet has to pass thorough to reach the rifling. The dedicated upper and .22 LR barrel eliminates that big jump.

I know. I used to have a 16" dpms upper with 1:9 twist that I used my cmmg cconversion in and it was more than adequate for training. I don't recall having any issues with it. Then I got the idea to buy the dedicated upper and gave my dpms to someone else.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

My Osprey equipped AR rifle. You've seen the post as you posted in it.

Same rifle with the dedicated upper in .22 LR on it. This version is always two push pins away from being on or off the full caliber lower. In fact this rifle as you see it in .22 lr mode is how I initially built the rifle. The Osprey modded full caliber upper is something I did about 2 years after I was shooting this weapon as a .22 LR AR15. The .22 LR upper doesn't get used much anymore as I can't find any frigg'n .22 LR ammo to replace what I shoot. Ironically I can find components to load my own 5.56 ammo, so I've switched back to shooting full caliber over .22 LR. But that's a topic for another thread someday.

You're probably right. I should just keep the dedicated upper and stop thinking of more ways to spend money.

I would LOVE an early AR replica with a 1-14 twist rate with the original brown or green colored furniture
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!