Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Army to replace 9mm pistol with more reliable gun packing better 'knock down’ power

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Post Army to replace 9mm pistol with more reliable gun packing better 'knock down’ power

After today, it's all historical.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Interesting. I have two questions though. First, I wonder if the government will sell the used SIGs and Berettas to help offset the cost. Ok, so now I have to volunteer for a drug test at work. The second question is more reasonable. The article states that the DOD signed a $64 million contract with Beretta to provide up to 100,000 pistols. This works out to $6,400 a weapon or about 10 times what the high end price for one of these pistols is in the store. I hope that contract includes more than just the pistols.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

I wish they would just adopt the 10mm and be done with it. I know the Navy and the Coast Guard can handle the recoil and the longer range would come in handy at sea. It might be too much gun for the Army and even the Marines are a little iffy. The Air Force would of course have to go with something in .22lr but at least they know their limitations and are willing to work with what little they have. It just doesn't have to be this hard folks. What would Chuck Norris do?
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

woudn't .22lr be too dangerous for the air force with all of the aircraft around? they might accidentally shoot their own planes out of the sky.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    I wish they would just adopt the 10mm and be done with it. I know the Navy and the Coast Guard can handle the recoil and the longer range would come in handy at sea. It might be too much gun for the Army and even the Marines are a little iffy. The Air Force would of course have to go with something in .22lr but at least they know their limitations and are willing to work with what little they have. It just doesn't have to be this hard folks. What would Chuck Norris do?
    Easy there on the marines there Richard.
    What's up my nigga's

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    woudn't .22lr be too dangerous for the air force with all of the aircraft around? they might accidentally shoot their own planes out of the sky.
    What if we just give them 22 cal Benjamin pumps? Would that work. And remember it's got to be a deadly 10/22 to shoot a plane out of the sky.
    What's up my nigga's

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    That's a real concern with regards to helicopters, or so I've read but I believe fixed wing can take a couple of rounds and still stay airborne.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Silentkilla01 View Post
    Easy there on the marines there Richard.
    Hey, I only said you all were "iffy" not that you couldn't handle it. I'm sure if they can decide on something with a small grip you all will do just fine.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Hey, I only said you all were "iffy" not that you couldn't handle it. I'm sure if they can decide on something with a small grip you all will do just fine.
    HOO RAA!! Lol
    What's up my nigga's

Knock down power.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo GED View Post
    Knock down power.

Hell yeah! They can put all kinds of shit in them! Knives forks spoons what ever!! Haha
    What's up my nigga's

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Knock-down power, myth, a state of mind. Shot placement is number one when it comes to any pistol round based on Geneva convention rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo GED View Post
    Knock down power.

Some guy did a review on one of those in the 2013 Gun Digest. IIRC it was imported from Italy. He tried it deer hunting and some kind of bird hunting. Wasn't much in the accuracy department but seem to recall it did get a fair amount of lead on target in pretty short order. Seems like I read they would load the originals with rocks, bits of chain, etc, in addition to buck an ball. Pretty nasty wounds.

Just checked and the review is in the 2014 Gun Digest not the 2013. Said it was offered by Sportsman's Guide. Has a 16" barrel in .54 cal. Not sure why they went with a 16" barrel as the originals were shorter and AFAIK it's black powder so it should be exempt from the 16" minimum barrel length & 26" OAL laws for long arms.
    Last edited by Richard Simmons; 07-12-2014 at 06:09 PM.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Yes sir! The blunder bust is something else.
    What's up my nigga's

Some guy did a review on one of those in the 2013 Gun Digest. IIRC it was imported from Italy. He tried it deer hunting and some kind of bird hunting. Wasn't much in the accuracy department but seem to recall it did get a fair amount of lead on target in pretty short order. Seems like I read they would load the originals with rocks, bits of chain, etc, in addition to buck an ball. Pretty nasty wounds.
    Yeah, you can pack just about anything into those. Won't win any matches but at "repelling boarders" range it'd be hard to miss.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

The true purpose of the flared muzzle is to make loading it on board a rocking ship deck easier.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    Knock-down power, myth, a state of mind. Shot placement is number one when it comes to any pistol round based on Geneva convention rules.
    +1

if I could have hi-cap 100% reliable pistols and rifles in .22mag I'd get rid of the majority of my shit.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Silentkilla01 View Post
    What if we just give them 22 cal Benjamin pumps?
    Don't talk shit about the Benjamins. I once put a .22 cal pellet straight through a frozen solid orange with my ancient hard-used Benjamin my uncle's neighbor found laying in a ditch years ago. Thing still shoots straight.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    Interesting. I have two questions though. First, I wonder if the government will sell the used SIGs and Berettas to help offset the cost. Ok, so now I have to volunteer for a drug test at work. The second question is more reasonable. The article states that the DOD signed a $64 million contract with Beretta to provide up to 100,000 pistols. This works out to $6,400 a weapon or about 10 times what the high end price for one of these pistols is in the store. I hope that contract includes more than just the pistols.
    Come on you don't actually think a toilet seat cost $10,000 dollars or a hammer costs $5,000.... Plausible deniability I tell you!

Team GunsNet Silver 02/2014

There are currently some units that use SIGs in 45ACP....the kids whut shoot em are damn proficient with em!
    Dan
    Dan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast