Thread: Went to the Range with my son.

Went to the Range with my son.

Last Wednesday the weather was great. I got out of work at a decent hour. So, my son and I went to the local range. Wednesday night is always "guys" night. Range is pretty much closed to the public, but I do have a key so that we can go whenever I want.

Asked my son what he wanted to shoot. So we took my two Fal's Russian Sks, Colt Sp1, Bushmaster ar, Springfield M1a, and the Uzi for good measure. On the way son said, Dad last time that we went we did more talking that shooting. Could we shoot more this time?

Well, "guys night" means getting away from the women, beer, and food. Shooting takes a small sideline.

Had a great time, Son did really well. The range is at an old quarry. Used to be an "official" training place, but that was retired awhile ago.

There is always an interesting group there. Got to shoot one of these.

http://www.keltecweapons.com/news/pr...c-shotgun-ksg/

Rather interesting. Was shooting 2 3/4 inch shot shells. Still hurt the shoulder a bit. Racking the slide was a bit cumbersome. The tube selector behind the pistol grip sometimes slid so that it would render the gun not able to rack the next shell.

While we were there, someone else pulled out a F&N Scar H. My son (the gamer) was enamored with it. Kept asking me if I knew the guy and if he would let us shoot it. Sure enough got to shoot it. It was quite pleasurable to shoot and quite accurate. Don't remember what kind of optic it had on it. But the bottles floating at the bottom of the quarry were no match for the gun. Now my son gets to brag to his buddies that he shot one!

No pics, went through about 300 rnds of 9mm, 150 of .223, 100 of .308, and 100 of 7.62x39. One of the guys brought some burgers made from a local farm raised cow. Darn good. Need to go out more often. What was kind of neat was that when we were shooting the Uzi. The way that the sun was setting, we could see the sun light reflect off the copper casing of the bullet. So we could watch the bullet fly down range. Nice to get out. Trigger time was great. Son had a wonderful time. Now he wants me to buy a scar!

good range report. it is great to know you had fun.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Crap yeah brother! That sounds like a good time!
    What's up my nigga's

Sounds like a great time.

Man do I need to go shooting...

Sounds like you and your son had a helluva time.
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Sounds like a super time for you and your son. Congrats on getting out and shooting with him.

Yep, we had a great time. Yesterday we did some volunteer work with the Scouts. Then there was a little indoor shooting competition for a local charity. Son won for his age group. 6 shots from a .22 rifle. He got a shirt. But we are both pleased with his shooting!