Thread: No More Pistols For California

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Post No More Pistols For California

It looks like as of January 1, 2015 pistols sales in California might just disappear.

http://www.motoemag.com/2014/07/19/g...n-ban-ab-1964/

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

I am not sure about all handguns going away. California has a list of authorized handguns that a Californian can buy or a person moving to California can bring in (how this meets the definition of "shall not be infringed" only a liberal can explain). If I remember right, single shot pistols did not have to be on the list and some liberals thought that was a loop hole. You know, you could take over the state with a single shot pistol. Anyway, it now sounds like even single shot pistols have to be on the list or you cannot have on in California. If someone has better information let me know.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Team GunsNet Silver 02/2014

Careful, this libspeak could come to a town near you as Kal borders are very leaky!
    Dan

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

F'ing unreal b.S.!

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Here is the list: http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/safeguns_resp.asp

The problem is the manufacturer has to renew the listing annually. Also, any new pistol has to have micro-stamping and I know of zero manufacturers making any model that has that. With the microstamping requirement you will see no new models on the list. As the older models are discontinued, the list shrinks.
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

That there is a list at all shows just how far from the Constitution we have fallen. Why California is even considered a part of the US considering its open contempt for the Constitution is incredible.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

NRA Endowment Member

Team Gunsnet Silver 02/14 - Moderator recon's Avatar

I'll never understand how this can happen and why it is happening.
    Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

Original Member-July-1999!

Quote Originally Posted by recon View Post
    I'll never understand how this can happen and why it is happening.
    The why leads to the how. The why is that our schools no longer teach what the Constitution and Bill of Rights say but what they want the students to believe they mean. Once enough people have been taught that, and we are working on our third generation or so, it is easy to see how, the people don't understand what freedom and liberty is so they give it up to feel a little secure. Well, up until the rapist attacks or the intruder enters the home and your only means of protection is to beg and hope the police show up soon.

NRA Endowment Member

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 TakeFive's Avatar

Just to clear up the single shot exemption, it is a process of converting a normally self-loading pistol into a manually loaded single shot, thereby allowing it to be sold in california without being on the roster. The customer, after registering the single shot with the state, then converts, or has a smith convert, the gun back to its self-loading configuration. The state turds believe this to be a loophole in the law, but it was a specified exemption in the original roster law, as were pistols used for Olympic competition. Last year, the attorney general of the state decided that all changes to the manufacture of a gun on the roster would make them a new model, requiring retesting and certification to remain on the roster. That would have been OK, but she also unilaterally decided that microstamping was universally available and that triggered a sleeping requirement from a prior law which requires all new models to have microstamping. The roster only applies to dealer sales, private party sales and bring ins from new residents are exempt from the roster. All single action revolvers are also exempt.
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, in practice, there is.

Quote Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
    Just to clear up the single shot exemption, it is a process of converting a normally self-loading pistol into a manually loaded single shot, thereby allowing it to be sold in california without being on the roster. The customer, after registering the single shot with the state, then converts, or has a smith convert, the gun back to its self-loading configuration. The state turds believe this to be a loophole in the law, but it was a specified exemption in the original roster law, as were pistols used for Olympic competition. Last year, the attorney general of the state decided that all changes to the manufacture of a gun on the roster would make them a new model, requiring retesting and certification to remain on the roster. That would have been OK, but she also unilaterally decided that microstamping was universally available and that triggered a sleeping requirement from a prior law which requires all new models to have microstamping. The roster only applies to dealer sales, private party sales and bring ins from new residents are exempt from the roster. All single action revolvers are also exempt.
    Thanks for that information. Are you sure private parties can bring in weapons not on the roster when they move to the state? My read on the law made it sound like it was illegal to import any firearm not on the roster, whether it was privately held or for sale.

NRA Endowment Member

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 TakeFive's Avatar

Positive, first the roster only applies to firearms dealer sales, not private party sales. Second, you can bring in any federally legal weapon, however it must be registered with the state within 60 days for a fee of $19. Note that "Assault Weapons" may not be able to come into the state. The law on this is crazy and convoluted, so beware. In the near future, normal capacity magizines may be banned altogether, so they may also have to stay out of state. Right now, posession is legal, use is not. 10 round is the legal capacity limit.

I think the import term in the law is more properly "import for sale", but the legislature has no desire to make the gun laws clearly understood.
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, in practice, there is.

Quote Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
    I think the import term in the law is more properly "import for sale", but the legislature has no desire to make the gun laws clearly understood.
    It is easier to make law abiding citizens into dangerous felons if you make the laws hard to understand. And I keeps the lawyers in busy (which I believe is the real reason).

NRA Endowment Member