Thread: Suggestions for sights for Gen4 G17?

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 NewbieAKguy's Avatar

Suggestions for sights for Gen4 G17?

I got a Gen4 G17 in spring of 2013 and I'm wanting to eventually swap out the "slot fillers", aka glock plastic sights, that came with it. Some background, I carry a Gen3 for work and the same basic sights are pretty much POA/POI, but with this Gen4 the sights are waaaaay high, I'm talking like to get center chest hits on a typical silhouette target I have to put the front dot on the belly button/crotch area of the target......from roughly 20yds and back. Very not to my liking. NOTE: I think the small grip insert is on the gun, but I haven't tried the other two; would that possibly help me?

Also, I definitely want night sights of some sort, and only ones I've used were on my "old" duty g21sf with trijicon sights.

I also recently did a Larry Vicker's Carbine 1 class (which was awesome!) and asked his opinion, and to no surprise he recommends his new line of sights with Wilson Combat, lol......can't blame the guy I guess. I've looked into meprolight, sevigny's line, rob pincus's new sight, and I think warne (or something like that?), and heinie sights. I have basic heinie sights on my taurus 1911 that took a bit getting used to but after using them think they're actually pretty handy.

So dear readers, suggestions and/or input on any night sights you have used? Is there a starting point as far as what sight height(s) to go with? Thanks for the help and I look forward to reading the group's input.
    "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time; the hand of force may destroy, but cannot disjoin them. ... Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever."--Thomas Jefferson

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Aside from Meprolite tritiums I can't really suggest anything based off of experience. I used a brand called PT Nite Sights, but they are no longer in business. Shooting that high the front sight is a mismatch to the rear. It has to be short so either a taller front or a lower rear is in order.

I personally don't like a tritium rear. If I do I use a different color than the front like orange and green. I also like a pronounced ledge on my rear sight for ease of operation during malfunctions and 1 handed ops.

All that being said I'd look into the 10-8's or Heine slant pro or heine straight eights.

I dont think your sights could be that off that you're holding at the belly button for a chest shot. Something else is going on.

With the plastic dot and field goal glock sights, if you put the dot in the center of the goal posts you'll notice the top ledge of your front sight is actual higher than the top of the rear. A correct sight alignment with those shitty sights the bottom of the dot will be partially hidden.
    Last edited by ready; 07-19-2014 at 06:19 PM.

color those damn sights BLACK with a marker.

I got meprolight on all my crap, exactly point of aim.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

No reason for plastic sights on a combat gun. I don't know what glock is thinking. Those things shear right off.

Mepros are good too.

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2014 Hatedbysheeple's Avatar

Truglo TFO's, different color front and rears. My issued sig came with a TFO front sight and regular tritium rears, this also seams to work pretty well but my personal guns get TFO front and rears. They glow bright regardless of the lighting situation. The other thing I would do to your glock is swap the trigger spring, get rid of the factory 5.5lbs spring and go to a 3.5lbs spring, your groupings will shrink noticeably.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatedbysheeple View Post
    Truglo TFO's, different color front and rears. My issued sig came with a TFO front sight and regular tritium rears, this also seams to work pretty well but my personal guns get TFO front and rears. They glow bright regardless of the lighting situation. The other thing I would do to your glock is swap the trigger spring, get rid of the factory 5.5lbs spring and go to a 3.5lbs spring, your groupings will shrink noticeably.
    What a good place to get the 3.5 lb springs for a g-19?
    What's up my nigga's

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2014 Hatedbysheeple's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Silentkilla01 View Post
    What a good place to get the 3.5 lb springs for a g-19?
    Here is the one I use in my 17, 26, and 21
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/358...vc=subv1358424

Quote Originally Posted by Hatedbysheeple View Post
    Here is the one I use in my 17, 26, and 21
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/358...vc=subv1358424
    ADD TO CART! Thanks brother!
    What's up my nigga's

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 NewbieAKguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ready View Post
    I personally don't like a tritium rear. If I do I use a different color than the front like orange and green. I also like a pronounced ledge on my rear sight for ease of operation during malfunctions and 1 handed ops.

All that being said I'd look into the 10-8's or Heine slant pro or heine straight eights.

I dont think your sights could be that off that you're holding at the belly button for a chest shot. Something else is going on.

With the plastic dot and field goal glock sights, if you put the dot in the center of the goal posts you'll notice the top ledge of your front sight is actual higher than the top of the rear. A correct sight alignment with those shitty sights the bottom of the dot will be partially hidden.
    Thanks for the tip on 10-8's sights, I had forgotten those and I like the idea of the front dot being different color that the rear. You could be right about the current sights, I was concentrating on the front dot and did verify the top ledges of the front and rear to compare, or think to look back and forth......I'm going to try them out again next couple weeks to verify. I'm not THAT bad of a shot, lol....decent I would think.

Hatedbysheeple

I had forgotten about Truglo's as well. I've thought about swapping out the spring and even the disconnector, but haven't made that decision yet. I'm somewhat used to the stock glock triggers (due to work) and I use this one during shoots, etc. to help me stay "in tune" as it were, but thanks again for the suggestions, I'll def check those too.

ready

No reason for plastic sights on a combat gun. I don't know what glock is thinking. Those things shear right off.
    True dat!
    "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time; the hand of force may destroy, but cannot disjoin them. ... Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever."--Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by ready View Post

Mepros are good too.
    like cars? to cut down on weight? j/k
    prolly a mean corporation trying to save money.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..