Thread: Got this for free.

Got this for free.

Old shotgun shell reloader, powder, primers, wads, and some shot. This stuff has been sitting awhile, dusty and rusty. The primers look like they sat underwater for a spell.
    Anyone have one of these? Is it worth cleaning up and useing?
    Looks like all the realoader parts are there. I'll probally just shit can the primers, ain't worth trying to clean. Powder and shot seem ok too.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I've got a MEC, but Lee has a decent rep. On the primers if they got wet they are probably toast anyway. Pull one out of the tray and look to see if it shows water signs. If it doesn't it might work. I'd test a few by putting them in a fixture clamed in a vice and try popping a few with a hammer and punch or Phillips screwdriver. Take a small piece of metal and drill a through hole from one side to another that is just big enough to make a slip fit for the primer to drop in. Clamp that in a vice and put a primer in the hole and try setting one off with the punch / driver and a hammer. Wear goggles for eye protection and ear plugs or muffs. They will be loud if they go off. If you test 5 of them and they all go off they might be ok.

If you attempt to clean them do not use any WD 40 or other oil like material, that is a fast track to killing a primer.

The primers look pretty bad, but I guess it would not hurt to test a few. I've got a 209 adapter for my muzzle loader, that will make it easy to test some.
    You think hoppes #9 would be ok to try to clean them with?

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    The Lee Load-All is a nice press for someone not in a hurry to make many rounds. It should have several measuring cups, or what ever you want to call the device that determines how much stuff gets loaded into your shell.

I used to use a Load-All and it worked fine for my back-yard range, but not what I would want if I was loading for competition. I also used the Green-dot powder and AA wads and was able to make some really nice practice loads.

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    The Lee Load-All is a nice press for someone not in a hurry to make many rounds. It should have several measuring cups, or what ever you want to call the device that determines how much stuff gets loaded into your shell.

I used to use a Load-All and it worked fine for my back-yard range, but not what I would want if I was loading for competition. I also used the Green-dot powder and AA wads and was able to make some really nice practice loads.
    Thanks for your input.
    It does have all the little cups and such in the top cover of the loader. Seems to be parts are still avalible online too.

Man I would like to have that and clean it up. That's cool!
    What's up my nigga's

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Adog View Post
    The primers look pretty bad, but I guess it would not hurt to test a few. I've got a 209 adapter for my muzzle loader, that will make it easy to test some.
    You think hoppes #9 would be ok to try to clean them with?
    No, I would not use any oil / solvent. Just wipe them off with a rag, maybe some 0000 steel wool if the dirt is really sticky. Any wet attempt to clean them is a fast track to killing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    No, I would not use any oil / solvent. Just wipe them off with a rag, maybe some 0000 steel wool if the dirt is really sticky. Any wet attempt to clean them is a fast track to killing them.
    They have rust on them, and some are stuck in the plastic holder. The old man that had the stuff had it stored in a shed by a lake, worst possible environment. Some look better then others, so I'll give the steel wool a try. Thanks.

Team GunsNet Silver 02/2014

Son gave me one of those Lee's for fathers day a few years ago. Never have used it but wouldn't part with it!
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Adog View Post
    They have rust on them, and some are stuck in the plastic holder. The old man that had the stuff had it stored in a shed by a lake, worst possible environment. Some look better then others, so I'll give the steel wool a try. Thanks.
    you could try loading a couple into empty shotgun shells and see if they will fire