Thread: Dc carry ban struck down

Dc carry ban struck down

http://www.examiner.com/article/fire...truck-down-d-c

Attorney Alan Gura, the late Otis McDonald and SAF's Alan Gottlieb discuss their groundbreaking Supreme Court case ruling the Second Amendment applied to the states as well as the federal government.
    Photo by Brendan Hoffman/Getty Images
    Attorney Alan Gura, the late Otis McDonald and SAF's Alan Gottlieb discuss their groundbreaking Supreme Court case ruling the Second Amendment applied to the states as well as the federal government.

David CodreaGun Rights Examiner

July 26, 2014

The ban on carrying of firearms by citizens in the nation’s capitol has been struck down by the United States District Court, District of Columbia, attorney Alan Gura, representing plaintiffs in Palmer vs. District of Columbia announced Saturday.

“In light of Heller, McDonald, and their progeny, there is no longer any basis on which this Court can conclude that the District of Columbia’s total ban on the public carrying of ready-to-use handguns outside the home is constitutional under any level of scrutiny,” Senior Judge Frederick J. Scullin, Jr. wrote in a Memorandum-Decision Order signed Thursday and filed today.

“Having reviewed the parties' submissions and the applicable law ... the Court here by GRANTS Plaintiffs' motion for summary judgment and DENIES Defendants' cross-motion for summary judgment,” Judge Scullin wrote, further ordering “that Defendants ... are permanently enjoined from enforcing D .C. Code ... to ban registration of handguns to be carried in public for self- defense by law-a biding citizens.”

“Victory in Palmer v. D.C.,” Gura wrote on his website. “Justice never sleeps…. not even on a Saturday afternoon, when this opinion was just handed down.”

The decision was a long time coming for a case initially filed almost a full five years ago.

The Palmer case, like the Heller and McDonald cases which Gura also represented with backing from the Second Amendment Foundation, produces a major decision that sets back the agenda of those opposing the right to bear arms. For more details on this case, see the SAF website and case documents.

interesting. bad guys look out the people of dc can now........
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Team Gunsnet Silver 02/14 - Moderator recon's Avatar

Good news!
    Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

Original Member-July-1999!

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

NO FUCKING WAY! Gotta love the SAF, the real deal pushing back. Gotta reup. If it weren't for the 2nd amendment foundation i seriously doubt we'd be where we're at, the NRA is good but they have a definite agenda behind the scenes I haven't figured out.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    NO FUCKING WAY! Gotta love the SAF, the real deal pushing back. Gotta reup. If it weren't for the 2nd amendment foundation i seriously doubt we'd be where we're at, the NRA is good but they have a definite agenda behind the scenes I haven't figured out.
    the SAF? please tell.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Thumbs up

This is some of the very best news I've seen in a long time. If this ruling is upheld, then I don't think it will be long before we start seeing our carry permits being recognized in all 50 states, just like a driver's license.

Alan Gura FTW.

"That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    the SAF? please tell.
    Second amendment foundation, they've had their hand in every case where the nra won't begin to tread without them and the NRA voiced opinions against them as the latest cases that upheld our rights . I highly suggest every person on here contribute. SAF is the real deal. NRA is wonderful for our general cause but they are political. SAF takes ground root cases to court.

http://saf.org/ They speak for themselves and us.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

What is interesting is I just did a Google search and there is no other news outlet carrying this story. In fact the only thing I found was from Mr. Gura's website (http://alangura.com/2014/07/victory-in-palmer-v-d-c/). If Mr. Gura had lost this would have been one of the leading stories for the MSM, CNN, MSNBC, and FOX. It will be interesting to see how long it takes for this to be reported on. It is also interesting that the OP story is now not available.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    the SAF? please tell.
    A group of very smart lawyers that are chalking up wins all over the U.S. for gun rights. Every hear of the Heller decision?

Oh, the NRA tries to take credit for SAF's wins, and are very successful at it.
    US Constitution: Article 1 Section 8 Paragraph 4

The Congress shall have Power To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Post BREAKING: DC Police Chief Recognizes Right to Carry, Reciprocity

After today, it's all historical.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunreference1 View Post
    Wow, I didn't see that coming!
    US Constitution: Article 1 Section 8 Paragraph 4

The Congress shall have Power To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization

Wow.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

I would arm myself except I will be going to the Pentagon and Bethesda today, not to mention my gun free military office. That is excellent news though.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Fox News, Fox & Friends just ran the story, (Monday). The fact it broke on Saturday afternoon as a ruling is why it was sparsely reported. Make no mistake it is a real ruling, chalk one up for people's rights under the Constitution.

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Post Judge Frederick Scullin issues 90-Day Stay in DC Carry Decision

After today, it's all historical.