Thread: Navy Yard Shooting Time Line

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Navy Yard Shooting Time Line

I get a weekly newspaper, The Navy Times, and this week it had the timeline of what happened during the Navy Yard shooting last year. Here it is;

0808: Shooter enters Bldg 197 and enters restroom
    0816: Shooter exits restroom with shotgun (now called a sawed off shotgun) and shoots first person
    0816: First 911 call sent by a man who watched the shooter kill a co-worker
    0821: First base Police arrive on scene and enter building (as part of this response the base was put on lock down significantly slowing other police from entering base to assist)
    ~0830: Shooter kills base Police on security guard duty in Bldg 197 and takes his sidearm (most likely a Beretta M9 though possibly a Glock G19 or G17)
    0835: Last victim is shot and killed by shooter
    0840: On-scene commander (Metropolitan Police Department (MPD)) sends in teams of police (military, civilian military police, and MPD)
    0912: Shooter found by one of the teams. Shooter shoots one of the team members with the sidearm taken from the dead police officer, the bullet travels through both legs.
    0925: Shooter has final shootout with police, shooting one police officer in the chest (protected by a ballistic vest) and is shot and killed

This timeline is another example of the ludicrousness of preventing people from having firearms for protection. The shooter was uncontested for 5 minutes, shooting people, before police arrived and it was another hour before the police found him. There were many people who could see the shooter but were unable to do anything except hide and hope the shooter did not find them.

Will politicians notice this and change the law. Well, they will but their answer is to ensure we are disarmed.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 T2K's Avatar

Those that know get it.

Those that don't get it never will.

It's a "big picture" problem, I think, in the sense that more Americans are sliding into the "don't get it" category, with the results showing in state and national elections.

In the immediate, micro sense - your post is irrefutably logical.

What was the ultimate motive behind this guy going apeshit? Akbar jihad or just a loon with a death wish?
    FBHO

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

That pretty much says it all.

Quote Originally Posted by chiak47 View Post
    What was the ultimate motive behind this guy going apeshit? Akbar jihad or just a loon with a death wish?
    We don't know why he did it, but he had been seen by psychiatrists for hearing voices in his head. Maybe one of them told him what to do. There is no evidence it was a terrorist act, though.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

NRA Endowment Member

Well what do you expect when they remove the bolts from weapons carried by troops reviewed by the cic?
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 5.56NATO View Post
    Well what do you expect when they remove the bolts from weapons carried by troops reviewed by the cic?
    IIRC they've been doing that since before Carter. Might have started after Kennedy was assassinated.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    IIRC they've been doing that since before Carter. Might have started after Kennedy was assassinated.
    I would really like to answer this but in my position I could get in trouble.

NRA Endowment Member

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Navy Yard Shooting Time Line

What you wanna bet he was on the same happy pills as the other shooters in the news

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Quote Originally Posted by rci2950 View Post
    What you wanna bet he was on the same happy pills as the other shooters in the news

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I believe one of the early reports said he was off his medications, which is partially why this happened. But I would bet it was the same stuff you are referencing.

NRA Endowment Member

My grandad said they couldn't have weapons on base either and he served in the Marines from the late 40's to the mid 60's.

He recalled one Marine he knew of that went into a officers club in the 60's and shot a few officers over a petty discipline citation.
    FBHO

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    I get a weekly newspaper, The Navy Times, and this week it had the timeline of what happened during the Navy Yard shooting last year. Here it is;

0808: Shooter enters Bldg 197 and enters restroom
    0816: Shooter exits restroom with shotgun (now called a sawed off shotgun) and shoots first person
    0816: First 911 call sent by a man who watched the shooter kill a co-worker
    0821: First base Police arrive on scene and enter building (as part of this response the base was put on lock down significantly slowing other police from entering base to assist)
    ~0830: Shooter kills base Police on security guard duty in Bldg 197 and takes his sidearm (most likely a Beretta M9 though possibly a Glock G19 or G17)
    0835: Last victim is shot and killed by shooter
    0840: On-scene commander (Metropolitan Police Department (MPD)) sends in teams of police (military, civilian military police, and MPD)
    0912: Shooter found by one of the teams. Shooter shoots one of the team members with the sidearm taken from the dead police officer, the bullet travels through both legs.
    0925: Shooter has final shootout with police, shooting one police officer in the chest (protected by a ballistic vest) and is shot and killed

This timeline is another example of the ludicrousness of preventing people from having firearms for protection. The shooter was uncontested for 5 minutes, shooting people, before police arrived and it was another hour before the police found him. There were many people who could see the shooter but were unable to do anything except hide and hope the shooter did not find them.

Will politicians notice this and change the law. Well, they will but their answer is to ensure we are disarmed.
    Yeah, but being disarmed makes them "FEEL" safe. (supposedly).
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    When command fears its own troops there's something deeply wrong going on.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 5.56NATO View Post
    When command fears its own troops there's something deeply wrong going on.
    With the two Fort Hood shooters and troops like Bo Bergdahl perhaps its a fear well placed? Probably more a secret service deal than anything else.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell