Thread: American Gun Co. SxS with short (factory?) barrel

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

American Gun Co. SxS with short (factory?) barrel

There is an idiot that publicly posted having been given a SBS... My question is: What are the regs on pre-NFA SBS?

This is a American gun co. SxS with +/-16.75" barrels, no serial no., no other markings except the company visible.
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

Found out it has exposed hammers, may date to the 1880s...
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

The American Gun Company was a trade name first used by H&D Folsom Arms Co.and then later replaced by the Crescent Fire Arms Co. - https://docs.google.com/document/pub...iu5JGIhfguSXXQ

As for the SBS rules you'll want to visit https://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/nat...r-nfa-transfer.

Hope this helps!

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

Their antique section does not address pre-nfa shotguns with less than 18" FACTORY barrels such as the Wells Fargo coach gun...

https://www.atf.gov/content/firearms...ntique-firearm

Pic

For the purposes of the National Firearms Act, the term “Antique Firearms” means any firearm not intended or redesigned for using rim fire or conventional center fire ignition with fixed ammunition and manufactured in or before 1898 (including any matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap or similar type of ignition system or replica thereof, whether actually manufactured before or after the year 1898) and also any firearm using fixed ammunition manufactured in or before 1898, for which ammunition is no longer manufactured in the United States and is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.

Reference - https://www.atf.gov/content/firearms...ntique-firearm

I believe this means whether or not it's made on or before 1898, if doesn't use centerfire or rimfire ammunition then the NFA rules don't apply.

Steve
    Last edited by Gunreference1; 07-27-2014 at 12:08 PM.

There are no firing pins in it... is that an old paper cartridge percussion cap gun?

If I remember correctly ELC, if it is factory original and pre 1898, the SBR/SBS status doesn't apply.

I am NO expert and I am definitely not a lawyer, so please don't quote me on that
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gunreference1 View Post
    For the purposes of the National Firearms Act, the term “Antique Firearms” means any firearm not intended or redesigned for using rim fire or conventional center fire ignition with fixed ammunition and manufactured in or before 1898 (including any matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap or similar type of ignition system or replica thereof, whether actually manufactured before or after the year 1898) and also any firearm using fixed ammunition manufactured in or before 1898, for which ammunition is no longer manufactured in the United States and is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.

Reference - https://www.atf.gov/content/firearms...ntique-firearm

I believe this means if it's made on or before 1898 and doesn't use centerfire or rimfire ammunition then the NFA rules don't apply.

Steve
    I have heard the opposite when it comes to full auto's
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

If it's a percussion cap ignition system then the NFA rules don't apply to a shotgun.

Steve

I'm not much of a black powder guy, are those percussion cap nipples in the photo?

Another pic...

No firing pins...

Those are firing pin holes.
    You can see the markings where the primers hit on the metal.
    Tjose ars mot nipple caps they are too large.

BISHOP

Quote Originally Posted by BISHOP View Post
    Those are firing pin holes.
    You can see the markings where the primers hit on the metal.
    Tjose ars mot nipple caps they are too large.

BISHOP
    I have to agree with Bishop,. Looks like firing pin holes with the impression of primers on the back wall.

Steve

I think you are right, besides the post the guy made disappeared... The barrels looked factory, but that old who knows. I doubt the thing would be worth $100 anyway and only good as a wall hanger...

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El Laton Caliente View Post
    I think you are right, besides the post the guy made disappeared... The barrels looked factory, but that old who knows. I doubt the thing would be worth $100 anyway and only good as a wall hanger...

Most definitely!

I wouldn't even think about shooting a derelict old relic like that.......I like having all my body parts.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El Laton Caliente View Post
    There are no firing pins in it... is that an old paper cartridge percussion cap gun?
    Floating firing pins that are intended most likely to hit a centerfire shotgun primer. Probably has Damascus Twist steel type barrels rated for Black Powder. If they are for smokeless it would say Nitro on the barrels somewhere. Shot a modern shell, even a light birdshot load in it and the barrels will blow up, they can't handle the pressure of smokeless powders. AS to the legality of it, I won't talk to that point as there is too much Gray area. I will say this, I personally wouldn't touch it.

Edited: Just saw the breech face photo. The firing pins may be removed or this may be some odd pin fire type early cartridge gun.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 07-27-2014 at 10:25 PM.