Thread: Spent a little quality time at the range today ... for a change!

Spent a little quality time at the range today ... for a change!

I've been fighting short stroking problems with the BOHICA Pistol (top) for over a week; since I put the Osprey Defense piston in it, it just wouldn't run reliable ... I originally had it on a 16" gun and it worked great. I finally called them on Friday and told them my story, that it's been short stroking and I've tried everything from different ammo, shortening the buffer spring and even opened up the port in the barrel; no matter what I did it might or might not run for a bit with one ammo but not another ... It was maddening ... The tech said the problem is that their system isn't reliable with a 10.5" barrel but 11.5 and up is good. The pulse from a 10.5"and shorter barrels just isn't long enough, but that they are working on a system for a 7.5" barreled upper

I really don't want to put a longer barrel on this gun so I switched it back to D.I. And now it works great again ... I put the Osprey piston system in my M16 which does have an 11.5" barrel ... and the piston system works great in it as well.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Great looking weapons. Glad it is working out alright.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Nice. I keep thinking about those arm braces...

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Well thanks for this post as you saved me going Osprey on my recent pistol build. It too has a 10.5" barrel. Nice looking pair of weapons btw, also is that a scope or a really small diameter red dot on the Bohica pistol?

Now that I've changed everything I'm thinking the Osprey would have worked on the 10.5 with a suppressor, or some kind of a booster, but I never tried it. At any rate, I wouldn't want to have to run it suppressed just to make it reliable ... Then after seeing your post on the AMD-65 thread maybe it would even work with the Noveske Flaming Pig, which as I understand is a flash hider but also adds a bit of back pressure and although that would be a permeant feature to the gun, it would be another $125+ cost.
    Keep in mind when I tried the Osprey it wouldn't fit under the Samson Evolution float tube, I don't know if it would make a difference but then I only had a low profile gas block, not a micro like yours. As I mentioned in one of the threads, it does work with a MagPul hand guard but I had to trim back some of the heat shield for clearance, I don't know what all float tubes it will work with, it might be worth calling Osprey and see if there is a minimum diameter needed.

The sight is an old red dot I've had for at least 10 years but still works great, it's made by Hakko of Japan

Great post !

Thank you so much for the info.
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

Nice looking pistols. It's funny how an inch of barrel would make it malfunction, good that you got it figured out.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Well thanks for this post as you saved me going Osprey on my recent pistol build. It too has a 10.5" barrel.
    Well, not so fast ... I bought a Noveske Flaming Pig ... It arrived today, so tonight I took the piston conversion off the M16, put it back on the 10.5" pistol and tomorrow morning I'm headed to the range to see if the Flaming Pig is the key ... If that doesn't work I'm going to try the suppressor and will report back tomorrow ... I need to get this thing out of my head!

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kimberkid View Post
    I need to get this thing out of my head!
    Made me LOL with that comment. BTW, it looks good with that Flaming pig on there.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 07-31-2014 at 05:56 AM.

Well, unfortunately it still short-stroked with the flaming pig on there, it worked perfectly with the suppressor though ... however since I want it to work all the time, not just when its suppressed, I'll be taking the piston conversion off again and put it back on the M16 ... but I'm leaving the pig on it