Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: any m&p owners out there?

any m&p owners out there?

I'm a die hard glock guy but thinking about trying an m&p 9 on for size. Looks alot more ergonomic than my glocks.

Anybody have any input?

I heard they break. roll pin?

but I could be wrong.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ready View Post
    I'm a die hard glock guy but thinking about trying an m&p 9 on for size. Looks alot more ergonomic than my glocks.

Anybody have any input?
    My father is an M&P man, I'm a Springfield guy.

I like the M&Ps, but I find them to be less ergonomic than the Springfield, but more so than the Glock. The trigger takes some getting used to, but isn't bad. It breaks crisply and the sights stay on target well, but it just has a strange feeling. Like your bending the plastic of the trigger itself, not simply rocking it on a hinge.

IMO, all three of the name brand striker fired polymer framed pistols are all just as good. The Glock has the advantage of size and weight efficiency, the Springfield has the advantage of feeling and shooting more like a traditional handgun, and the M&P falls in the middle in terms of shootability VS size+weight/firepower ratio.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

And here is your ultimate deal on a full-size M&P 9mm. Comes with night sights and three mags for $399, brand new.

http://www.botach.com/products/smith...magazines.html
    (LEO ID not actually required)
    Last edited by FunkyPertwee; 07-28-2014 at 01:47 AM.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post

but I could be wrong.
    I'll look into that.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    And here is your ultimate deal on a full-size M&P. Comes with night sights and three mags for $399, brand new.

http://www.botach.com/products/smith...magazines.html
    Good price. It reminds me of my hk p30 which was one of the most comfortable guns I ever owned but I sold all my hk's when I started boycotting them.

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post

but I could be wrong.
    I'll look into that.
    Hes thinking of the Springfield XD series which Glock fans like to hate on for the roll pins. Roll pins were fine all the way back to the Browning Hi-Power, so I say its a bunch of bull. As long as you know how to properly use roll pins and replace them with a NEW one if you ever remove one, you'll not have any problems. The roll pin in question is the one which holds the firing pin in. Well, I've been dry firing my XD-9 since 2004 and I haven't had a problem with it.

I saw some extractor issues from a few years ago which have been fixed. I'm sure after s&w lost a few LE contracts they fixed any issues they had in the beginning pretty quick. Only other complaints I see are about the trigger but that's an easy fix if it even bothers me.

Found some early barrel issues too. Have to make sure I get a new production gun and not new old stock before the upgrades.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Roll pin issue is with the Springfield Croat made pistols. It more than holds it in, it is a guide for the firing pin striker movement. I have seen one fail, the gun stops running instantly.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Roll pin issue is with the Springfield Croat made pistols. It more than holds it in, it is a guide for the firing pin striker movement. I have seen one fail, the gun stops running instantly.
    That's no bueno.

There are heavy duty roll pins if it worries you. Keep in mind the CZ-75b uses a roll pin as a firing pin guide as well as retainer, just like the XD, and while neither of these pistols has the track record of reliability that the Glock (9mm) does, it doesn't mean they are unreliable. Nothing can match Glocks (9mm) track record of reliability, but that doesn't mean the Glock is the only viable option.

As has already been discussed in this thread, each polymer framed option represents a different balance between reliability, shootability, and size+weight/firepower.

http://shop.powderriverprecision.net...2&categoryId=4

Last edited by FunkyPertwee; 07-28-2014 at 03:00 PM.

Team Gunsnet Silver 02/14 - Moderator recon's Avatar

This started back in 2010. Here is the post on it. http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/general...ional-use.html
    Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

Original Member-July-1999!

I'm a glock guy also. But have been looking at the M&P 5 inch model and the XD Tactical 5 inch model. So I'm not sure what to do or do nothing.
    Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

I own a full size M&P9 and an M&P9C. Great pistols. I think one of the new "no-safety" Shields is next on my list.
    The only Glock I own is G26 - rest are gone.

I just looked at a m&p 9 today but it had an internal lock and mag disconnect which are both disqualifying features for me. You can remove them rather easily but it just pisses me off that they're present in the first place on a weapon called military and police.

I just looked at a m&p 9 today but it had an internal lock and mag disconnect which are both disqualifying features for me. You can remove them rather easily but it just pisses me off that they're present in the first place on a weapon called military and police.
    Check out that link I posted. No mag safety, internal lock, or manual safety. Its an LE model with trijicon sights for $399.

You can buy them without those.
    Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

I know, I 'll have to keep looking.

The botach ones for $399 have both features.

I know, I 'll have to keep looking.

The botach ones for $399 have both features.
    ???

My dad received one of the botach ones about two weeks ago. There is no magazine safety on it. If there is an internal lock, I haven't found it yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast