Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 16" Carbine comparison to AR Pistol

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Cool 16" Carbine comparison to AR Pistol

Simple enough post. I finally put the two side by side and recorded it. The carbine has the stock fully collapsed and it is virtually identical in length to the Sig brace equipped AR pistol I recently built. There really isn't a ton of weight difference between the two but the Pistol sure does point and maneuver far easier inside a building.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Good post.

While the difference between the two may not look like much in a picture, experienced shooters understand how big of a difference just a few inches makes. I'm sure the "pistol" is much easier to transport concealed, and easier to deploy in a vehicle or other structure.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

That's just...........BEAUTIFUL!!!!
    What's up my nigga's

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    Good post.

While the difference between the two may not look like much in a picture, experienced shooters understand how big of a difference just a few inches makes. I'm sure the "pistol" is much easier to transport concealed, and easier to deploy in a vehicle or other structure.
    I should of photographed it with the AAC Can on it. I believe it is almost exactly the same length as the 16" carbine barrel when installed. I can see an integral suppressed barrel would be da bomb.

And thanks SilentK.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    . I can see an integral suppressed barrel would be da bomb.
    Yes that would be tha shiznit!!!!
    What's up my nigga's

What do you like about the Troy mags so much? Are they better in comparison to p- mags and lancer?
    What's up my nigga's

Quote Originally Posted by Silentkilla01 View Post
    What do you like about the Troy mags so much? Are they better in comparison to p- mags and lancer?
    More slender than the P-mag Gen 2 / Moe mag, no flared floor plate. Because the floor plate doesn't stick out, no issues with how you put them in a mag pouch. Cheaper than Lancers by nearly $4 bucks a mag. I've purchased the Troy mags for as little as $9 and a high of $12.50. They work in every AR I have flawlessly, never jam.

I have Magpul gen 2s, C-Products (stainless and aluminum 30 rd. and 20 rd.), GI (30 and 20 rounders) and even some old early 1990's Thermold 30 rounders. The Magpul and Troy are virtually identical in functional reliability, the Troy is just a tad lighter. The C-Products are the best metal mags I own, their 20's are flawless compared to GI 20's. You can actually put 20 rounds in one and have it feed all of them. Try 20 rounds in a GI 20 round mag and it will jam every time feeding the first 2 rounds. The old Thermolds, just 2 of them work perfectly in all my AR rifles as well. I never had a problem with them but others have. Oh and I have some used Orlite Israeli 30 rounders. Not that good IMO.

We'll in that case it need to try some out. And yes the GI mags do jam on the first two rounds almost every time. When I served that's mostly the cause they told us to only load 18 in a 20 rounder and 28 in a thirty.
    What's up my nigga's

Yes that would be tha shiznit!!!!
    X2

I was wondering about the Troy mags too. Great info, I'll have to try them out.

We'll in that case it need to try some out. And yes the GI mags do jam on the first two rounds almost every time. When I served that's mostly the cause they told us to only load 18 in a 20 rounder and 28 in a thirty.
    The GI 30's originally had the black follower, those were 28 rounders at best. When the new Green GI follower that has a leg at the front and back came out, I purchased a bunch of the followers and retrofit my old GI mags. It did improve almost all of them to where you could load and shoot 30 rounds out of them. I think I had 1 that didn't prove reliable with more than 29. But still that was 1 out of over 30 mags that were vastly improved. All were well worn GI surplus made prior to the Clinton 1994 mag and weapon ban. I never paid more than $10 for one and as little as $3 each.

All the C-Product mags have the Magpul type follower in them, 100% feed reliably. However, like all metal mags they can be dented and then they're done unless you can forge out the dent. The Magpul's and the Troy's I can stand on, no dents, perfect function afterward. Clearly either of these are tough robust magazine systems and you're well served by either one. I just like the look of the Troy and as I pointed out, the price on them. Then again I see 10 pack of Gen 2 Magpul's going for about $100 more or less so these now are in the price range of the Troy because of the Gen 3 Mapul mags.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 07-28-2014 at 09:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Adog View Post
    X2

I was wondering about the Troy mags too. Great info, I'll have to try them out.
    http://www.brownells.com/magazines/r...ity_1=30-Round Now's a great time to try them. Brownell's has them on sale $9.99 for 1, 3 packs going for $27.99 or $9.33 each.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    Good post.

You really notice during vehicle tactics.

Quote Originally Posted by ready View Post
    You really notice during vehicle tactics.

Yep... every try getting out of a vehicle or clearing a building with a stupid A2 ?
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

negative...a 20" 590 a few times though.

More slender than the P-mag Gen 2 / Moe mag, no flared floor plate. Because the floor plate doesn't stick out, no issues with how you put them in a mag pouch. Cheaper than Lancers by nearly $4 bucks a mag. I've purchased the Troy mags for as little as $9 and a high of $12.50. They work in every AR I have flawlessly, never jam.

I have Magpul gen 2s, C-Products (stainless and aluminum 30 rd. and 20 rd.), GI (30 and 20 rounders) and even some old early 1990's Thermold 30 rounders. The Magpul and Troy are virtually identical in functional reliability, the Troy is just a tad lighter. The C-Products are the best metal mags I own, their 20's are flawless compared to GI 20's. You can actually put 20 rounds in one and have it feed all of them. Try 20 rounds in a GI 20 round mag and it will jam every time feeding the first 2 rounds. The old Thermolds, just 2 of them work perfectly in all my AR rifles as well. I never had a problem with them but others have. Oh and I have some used Orlite Israeli 30 rounders. Not that good IMO.
    Have you tried the Israel 5.56 ammo schuetz? There mags might not be that great but there ammo is some of the best factory I've shot.
    What's up my nigga's

I had a bunch of the israeli stuff. Came in the regular brown cardboard boxes. It was good shit.

Quote Originally Posted by ready View Post
    I had a bunch of the israeli stuff. Came in the regular brown cardboard boxes. It was good shit.
    Hell yes it is! I still have about 500 to 1000 rds of it in my safe
    What's up my nigga's

http://www.brownells.com/magazines/r...ity_1=30-Round Now's a great time to try them. Brownell's has them on sale $9.99 for 1, 3 packs going for $27.99 or $9.33 each.
    Just ordered a 3 pac, thanks for the info.

Free Shipping on $75 or more till sunday!!! FYI.

Have you tried the Israel 5.56 ammo schuetz? There mags might not be that great but there ammo is some of the best factory I've shot.
    Sorry, missed this post earlier. Yeah, I've shot Israeli 55 gr. and M855. When I was a dealer I probably sold 50,000 round of the M855 by IMI in the 30 round boxes. Wish I'd of kept it all as back in the day when I first started buying it for resale I paid $145 bucks for a 1200 round case. Yep, 12 cents a round!

I probably also still have about a half case at least. I put it on strippers, then in the GI cardboards and then into the bandoleers. Packed all that in 50 cal. ammo can.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 07-30-2014 at 10:30 PM.

. I put it on strippers, then in the GI cardboards and then into the bandoleers. Packed all that in 50 cal. ammo can.
    thats what I did.. cept mines in a 40mm can and I only shoot my reloads VS burning up real ammo.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast