Thread: how would you dispose of ammo?

how would you dispose of ammo?

say that you have some ammo that you no longer have a firearm for or that you just somehow ended up with in a grab bag or some other way. how would y'all dispose of it? you've put it up for sale and even offered to give it away to some folks but it's still lingering around.

i know that throwing it away is not an option and i have considered pulling the bullets and powder in order to toss the brass in my scrap brass bucket but then the primers are still live.

any suggestions?
    I'm the one that's gonna die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.
    Jimi Hendrix

NRA Benefactor Member & 03 FFL

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Before anything else, list it here. Might be a pain to sort it out if it is multi-caliber but in the long run you might find someone looking for an odd caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    Before anything else, list it here. Might be a pain to sort it out if it is multi-caliber but in the long run you might find someone looking for an odd caliber.
    it has been listed here for some time now......

http://www.gunsnet.net/showthread.ph...use-or-collect
    I'm the one that's gonna die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.
    Jimi Hendrix

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    OOPS!!! Sorry, didn't look far enough.

don't worry, you are not the only one not lookin'!
    Jimi Hendrix

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Ever walk it through a gun show? Usually there's an ammo seller that would buy it off of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Broondog View Post
    say that you have some ammo that you no longer have a firearm for or that you just somehow ended up with in a grab bag or some other way. how would y'all dispose of it? you've put it up for sale and even offered to give it away to some folks but it's still lingering around.

i know that throwing it away is not an option and i have considered pulling the bullets and powder in order to toss the brass in my scrap brass bucket but then the primers are still live.

any suggestions?
    What do you have??
    What's up my nigga's

Quote Originally Posted by Silentkilla01 View Post
    What do you have??
    http://www.gunsnet.net/showthread.ph...use-or-collect Click the link.

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

pull the bullets, dump the powder and squirt a little penetrating oil inside the case on the primer, seat bullet properly back into case and sell on ebay individually as inert collectables.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

I saw your thread when you posted it and didn't pay attention because it is a pain in the ass to ship .22 mags for 5 dollars.
    my thought gun show or local gun store.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Ever walk it through a gun show? Usually there's an ammo seller that would buy it off of you.
    a gun show is a good idea. unfortunately for me the last few shows i have been to were unimpressive at best. and they are all roughly 100 miles away, one way! again, good idea that i had not thought of.

Quote Originally Posted by rci2950 View Post
    pull the bullets, dump the powder and squirt a little penetrating oil inside the case on the primer, seat bullet properly back into case and sell on ebay individually as inert collectables.
    penetrating oil will disable a primer?
    Jimi Hendrix

a gun show is a good idea. unfortunately for me the last few shows i have been to were unimpressive at best. and they are all roughly 100 miles away, one way! again, good idea that i had not thought of.

penetrating oil will disable a primer?
    WD40 will kill a primer.

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

don't worry, you are not the only one not lookin'!
    I looked, but three rounds of 32SW were not enough of a draw. The only other thing I could use is the rat shot .22... The only .22 revolver I have right now is my grandmother's old H&R and that old thing is worn past use.

Try your local facebook gun group and arms list...
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    WD40 will kill a primer.
    Pull bullets and drop into used motor oil... powder can go that way or burned off in a pile...
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

the only proper way to dispose of ammunition is to buy a firearm in that caliber and shoot it.

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    the only proper way to dispose of ammunition is to buy a firearm in that caliber and shoot it.
    Believe it or not I once knew a guy that bought a case he thought would be a good gun case. He then went looking for "just the right gun" to purchase and put it in "the" case.

I had a couple of boxes of ammo I inherited from my father when he passed away. 38 S&W and 25 ACP. I took them to a local gun shop that I do business with and gave them to the guy. He was appreciative as he was looking for some 38 S&W for a personal gun he had. It never hurts to foster good relations with someone you do business with.