Thread: Cold Steel Frontier Hawk

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Cold Steel Frontier Hawk

I am thinking about darkening the handle on this and would also like to get rid of the "Taiwan" that is etched into the blade. I would like to give it that old time look to match my flintlock musket arrangement when i am in that mode. Anyone got any advice on how to proceed?

Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Well for the handle, Feibing's Leather Dyes actually do a nice job of being wood stains. http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_976p5k47sb_p Not that I'm suggesting buying from Amazon but it was the first link that came up for the product. Boiled Linseed Oil heated up very hot and then dip the handle in and it should soak in really well.

On the Tomahawk head, I suspect it is cast, not forged. If it is a forging you could take a Ball Peen Hammer, the ball end to it. That would add a dimpling if you beat it all over and give it a hammer forged look. If it is cast and you do this, you risk shattering the head. The peening should help to obliterate the Taiwan markings.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

The head is drop forged.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

I've seen the heads of these polished before. It looked better that way than being black.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Fully polishing the head is a pain, but the paint comes off easy with a good paint stripper, and fitting and staining the handle is probably the first thing I'd do to one.

*edit* This is what I did to my Spike Hawk:
    I am the master of my fate
    I am the captain of my soul

"(The Second Amendment) isn't a law but an enumerated right, a right that we cannot allow to be corralled to make politicians and ant-gun fanatics happy." ~Old Grump

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

I saw a youtube video where a guy took his hawk and stripped the head then used gun blue on it. He charred the haft and did some woodburned designs then put a finish on it. Looked fairly rustic.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell