Thread: Why are Remington Shotgun barrels so expensive?

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Why are Remington Shotgun barrels so expensive?

I have been wanting a short barrel for my 870 for buckshot and cheap slugs when deer hunting in thick bush. But i never bought one because of the price. Finally i broke down and have one on order from my local shop. $300... For just a goddam barrel. $150 more and i could have a whole new shotgun with a long barrel.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

I guess the gouging is just this side of the border.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

How short can shotgun barrels be in Canada?
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Remington made barrels are expensive, mossberg makes barrels for the 870 which are much cheaper than remington's

short as the factory makes them... if the factory produced one shorter then the actual shotgun shell it would still be legal.

and our laws are getting better by the day.

You should see how sick of the anti gunners the average people are up here. Its on the opposite direction of down there,

When the RCMP tried to ban the Swiss Arms classic green and the CZ 858, a whole can of shitworms opened up Ricky.

There is one vocal politician on Toronto named Olivia Chow (Communist immigrant from China) and she almost has people throwing rotten vegetables and eggs at her when she is in public. The other ones are in hiding.
    Last edited by rci2950; 07-31-2014 at 08:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rci2950 View Post
    ...and our laws are getting better by the day.

You should see how sick of the anti gunners the average people are up here. Its on the opposite direction of down there...
    I'm glad things are getting better up there. They have gotten better in my state as well. It truly is only the mainstream media which is bashing guns down here. Liberal states are having it worse on them at the state level, but those of us in Conservative states are having it better and better. Even the commie bitches on "The View" all recently admitted they would prefer to have concealed carry to protect themselves.

If our state can get a law which exempts us from Federal gun regulations on firearms which never leave the state, we should be able to get machine guns in the form of select fire AR's from Palmetto State Armory and G3/HK-91 rifles from PTR. Plus, FN is located in our capital city; they make M240 and M249 machine guns as well as military contract M16 rifles.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

When the RCMP tried to ban the Swiss Arms classic green and the CZ 858, a whole can of shitworms opened up Ricky.
    So there weren't ever banned? Canadians are allowed to keep the ones they have and buy new ones?

As far as the shotgun goes, I'd have a short barreled shotgun if I lived up there for sure. Any capacity limit on pump actions? If so, thats even more reason to have at least one really short shotgun.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    So there weren't ever banned? Canadians are allowed to keep the ones they have and buy new ones?

As far as the shotgun goes, I'd have a short barreled shotgun if I lived up there for sure. Any capacity limit on pump actions? If so, thats even more reason to have at least one really short shotgun.
    Yes. The Public safety minister immediately made a 3 year amnesty after the RCMP made the prohibition, and then he announced two weeks ago that we can keep them and use as normal.

No limit on ammo capacity for pump action.

Yes. The Public safety minister immediately made a 3 year amnesty after the RCMP made the prohibition, and then he announced two weeks ago that we can keep them and use as normal.
    Thats great news. Those are good rifles, especially for the laws you have to deal with. Just like a shortened SKS really.

No limit on ammo capacity for pump action.
    Thats really great. I have AKs and ARs and still use my Mossberg 590 "Special Purpose" (20", 8+1 rounds) as my go-to home-defense long arm, since I can't sleep with my much-needed glasses on.

Thats great news. Those are good rifles, especially for the laws you have to deal with. Just like a shortened SKS really.

Thats really great. I have AKs and ARs and still use my Mossberg 590 "Special Purpose" (20", 8+1 rounds) as my go-to home-defense long arm, since I can't sleep with my much-needed glasses on.
    pretty much a shortened SKS.

Hey my home defence is my expert Matrial arts. you should see it. Kung foo the shit out of them

ugh, into that Romulan Ale again.

Still got half a bottle to go

Are you not allowed to shoot home intruders?

Are you not allowed to shoot home intruders?
    no. we are only allowed to call the police so they can shoot them.

but in a situation where my wife and son are directly threatened...

You know the answer.

no. we are only allowed to call the police so they can shoot them.

but in a situation where my wife and son are directly threatened...

You know the answer.
    so if someone breaks into your home and you point a gun at them, they laugh and still take your stuff as long as they do not threaten you?
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    so if someone breaks into your home and you point a gun at them, they laugh and still take your stuff as long as they do not threaten you?
    yep. Better then spending 25 in prison. Can always get more "stuff"

yep. Better then spending 25 in prison. Can always get more "stuff"
    I wouldn't kill anybody over "Stuff", but if someone comes in my home and laughs at having a gun pointed at them, I'm allowed to shoot them because in South Carolina acting like a gun doesn't threaten you actually counts as sufficient evidence of the danger they pose due to being mentally unbalanced. Not to mention castle doctrine....

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

About 2-3 years ago I bought a 20" slug barrel for my 870 from Cabella's for about $110. I would say someone is jacking up the price.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Seems like your local dealers are pumping up the price on you, or maybe there is a Canadian import tax on it because the Rem. barrel comes from the US?