Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beretta ARX100 no longer vaperware!

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.

Beretta ARX100 no longer vaperware!

After years of the impending release of the ARX100, and after fondling a real one at the NRA convention, I finally got the call that mine had shown up.

Initial inspection shows a really high quality rifle, well thought out and very ergonomic. For those who like slings there are at least 6 mounting points that are easily found.

Locking the bolt back manually is a chore, but figure it is only because the rifle is so tight right now.

As to mag releases, there are 5 (FIVE!!!) of them, the standard side one like an AR15, a mirror of it on the other side, one hidden in the bottom of the trigger guard that you push up on, and one on either side of the front of the trigger guard!

Trigger feel is not bad (yes I used a snap cap for safety), was expecting a long gritty pull knowing how Beretta pistols are, but this one is not bad. Will measure the pull later.

And pulling the bolt back (handle delivered on left) found out it is currently set up for left eject. Simple button push and it is now right eject! NICE!!!

Haven't tried taking it down yet.

It came in a very nice range bag but to be honest I would rather the rifle shipped in Styrofoam insert in the cardboard box and lower the price which was more than expected, but not as crazy as some I have seen. Sales tax didn't help either.

Range report in a couple of weeks as the beginning of August is a busy month for family things.

And the good stuff:

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Congratulations!

Looks like a good rifle. I'll be looking forward to the range report.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

looks better in person vs stock photos

How would you rate the stocks locking strength???
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Initial observations about how it was shipped. Was surprised that as stated earlier, it shipped in left hand mode. Then while further checking found the gas port setting for light loads instead of the standard setting. Makes me wonder who was playing with it before I picked it up, but glad I checked things out.

Disassembly is strange but easy. First fold the stock forward, with bolt closed rotate the safety lever further up passed the safe position. This unlocks the lower from the upper which can then be pulled down and off. Takes a little practice but a nice simple take-down.

Bolt assembly removes easily by pulling the handle back to it's change over position, then pull the handle out to allow it to fold forward parallel to the barrel, then slide it out the rear.

Barrel removal is a two person operation if you don't have strong fingers. There are two Glock-like levers on either side of the receiver near the rear of the barrel that you pull down allowing you to pull the barrel, piston assembly out the front. RIGHT!!! My fingers are not strong enough on one hand to pull the levers down and with my free hand pull the barrel out. Not giving up, but nothing like how easy the Beretta rep made it look at the convention.

Beretta does test fire their weapons before shipping, and I cleaned a lot of carbon and copper from the barrel. Don't know what ammo they used but the bolt face was impossible to get shiny clean, but this will not be a safe queen so I really don't care.

I have to give Beretta credit for building a weapon that can be field stripped with no tools, is fully left or right handed with no real tools needed to switch back and forth, and without firing yet it really looks like a high quality weapon, even if it is a plastic-fantastic.

Stock locks fore and aft by two large lugs in the bottom which seem ok right now. The folder hinge is plastic but appears to be something that can take a licking. I would not try to use it as a hammer as it is plastic, even high strength has it's limits. It does lock up nice and tight, and guess Beretta would not have gone with it if it couldn't survive many thousand rounds

How's the weight feel vs. an AR?

Can't wait for the range report. The gas port adjustment should come in handy when using cheap steel cased instead of changing out a buffer like I have to do.

Just got the Lyman trigger pull gauge out and measured a wopping 10.3 pound average pull. Sure doesn't feel that heavy. I expect that like other Berettas it will get lighter as it gets used. As said earlier, feel is really good which is why I was surprised it was so high when I put the gauge to it.

Weight it feels slightly heavier than an AR15, but per the scale it is actually right on the lighter side. My lightest made by me AR15 weighs in at 6 lbs - 6 oz. The Beretta tips the scales at 6 lbs 10 oz.

My M4gery weighs 6-10, but my daughter's competiton AR weighs in at just under 10 pounds without it's internal removable weights! So the Beretta truly is a flea when it compares to standard ARs.

was_peacemaker
    imanaknut, Thanks for the review and as a Beretta fan you have made it so I will now want to buy one of these rifles. Looks much more interesting than an AR.

i'm gonna go weigh my AR, I'm curious now.

8.6lbs unloaded. That's with 10.5 fluted barrel, vltor emod stock, vfg, eotech 552, H2 buffer, FA bolt carrier, sling and TLR-1.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I see a stock aluminum magazine in it. Have you tried a Magpul or other type in it? It looks very tall, how does it measure up in vertical height vs. one of your AR rifles? It sure does look real high tech. Though, (forgive me for saying this) it also has the appearance of a F35 strike fighter, the pregnant Guppy look thing going on.

That is a wild looking rig. Hope it shoots as good as it looks, congrats to you.

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 NewbieAKguy's Avatar

Looks very nice. I hope you have better luck/time with it than I had with the ACR, lol. I'm becoming more and more a fan of the longer handguard on rifles, so I hope Beretta will offer a future version with a longer handguard and changable grip. Definitely looking forward to a range report too.
    "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time; the hand of force may destroy, but cannot disjoin them. ... Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever."--Thomas Jefferson

Believe it or not, I wish I could try other mags, but I only have the standard GI issue mags, and since I have enough to supply a good sized platoon, I never saw a need to try others.

I also have to admit that the sights are a little higher than I would have designed it, so anyone that likes a good cheek weld would need different sights. Myself, I learned long ago how to shoot without a cheek being smashed into the stock, so the high sights are not a problem. In their defense, they feel like quality sites, being nicely spring loaded when you push the release button to raise them, and a good firm snap when lowering. My plans are to spend some more crazy dollars on an Eotech of some sort, but that will be more a Christmas present to myself.

About the lower handguard, it is removable so I would not be surprised to see someone coming out with different shaped ones. Underneath is a proprietary rail that from what I have read is for a grenade launcher. Wouldn't mind one of those for the coming Zombie attacks.

no bayonet lug
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

very nice. one of these days when I grow up.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Totally forgot I do have one non-STANAG in the "closet"

I will admit that it went in easily, but even fully loaded would not "drop free". I had to give it a good smack to get it out, but that could have been that the weight was not centered on the C/G of the mag and an empty might drop free.

Balance was amazingly nice for a full loaded Beta C-mag, and it did not seem as heavy as I would have expected.

Still 100 rounds of non-stop fun.

you say you cleaned "a lot" of carbon and copper from the bbl and the bolt face was discolored. In your opinion, how many rounds do you think were fired thru this firearm, and did Beretta do this for Q/A?

meaning they do this to all or a what ever ratio you want test?
    Last edited by l921428x; 08-01-2014 at 07:43 PM.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

From a Beretta rep that I spoke to I know as a fact (assuming he was telling the truth, and why wouldn't he?) that at the US factory they fire a minimum of 15 rounds to verify function.

From the amount of stuff I removed, I can believe that 15 rounds went through my new rifle.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

You mentioned Eotech, I've got experience with 512's. I would suggest the Aimpoint PRO sight. Much easier to turn on than a Eotech, night vision compatible, built in clamping mount with thumb screw that prevents over tightening. Cost is just over $400 in most places. You can spend a lot more for an Eotech to have the same sort of capability. But no matter how much you spend, no Eotech is going to run for years on 1 set of batteries.

Now if it were a more common weapon I'd actually suggest a Vortex Sparc or Sirkefire II for under $200, reference my AR pistol build threads. A really rare stand out weapon like your Beretta deserves a stand out sight. If you really feel like going whole hog on the project, then Aimpoint's M4, 5 years constant on battery life.

Thank you sir! After checking I agree with your suggestion on the Aimpoint PRO.

About the main thing that I liked about the 512 is that it uses standard AA batteries, but the PRO has the ability for future upgrades.

Just did some checking and it seems like the Eotech eats batteries on or off!

Ordering an Aimpoint PRO.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast