Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Beretta ARX100 no longer vaperware!

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Little update on my ARX100, and unfortunately still looks like it will be a while before I can get to a range, but...

When I first took it down, there was a rattle in the trigger housing area, but I figured it was just because it was apart from the upper.

Today I decided I was going to figure out what I was doing wrong taking the barrel off since youtube demos looked so easy. I started by removing the lower, and then the bolt group to make sure that there was no possibility of doing damage if I accidentally released the bolt with the barrel off. Actually the way it locks back to change from right to left locks it so that it is physically impossible for it to return to battery, but removing it just makes sure.

I then held the upper as shown on the video and pulled the tabs. Turned out I was pulling them down more than needed as just a little movement allowed the barrel to come out easily. So chalk it up to I was just trying too hard.

Now about that rattle. I took the rifle apart in my family room, and was headed to the garage to wipe down the barrel where it sits inside the upper, when I stepped on something small and metallic. Glad I wasn't wearing anything on my feet. Bent down to pick up a roll pin. Scary to have a new rifle and find a part laying on the floor after disassembly, but on further examination it seems Beretta just gave me an extra part, and all pins are in their respective locations. Also like the fire control group of the AK, this pin would not have hurt anything if it stayed in the lower as there is enough room to almost hide a Beretta 92 compact and still fire it.

So a rattle solved, disassembly issues solved, and just can't wait to have some time when the range is open and I am free!

I do have to say it is fun just loading a mag with a few snap caps and learning the trigger feel, and then alternating ejecting right or left using nothing more than my car key to switch ejection direction!

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Sweet! I have one question though on the sight posts, why do people pay $400 for a simple red dot sight? What makes it better than say a $29-$50 red dot? I remember a lot of detractors posting about the ARX, I thought it's pretty awesome. Can't wait to hear a range report. If I had that kind of cash laying around! Congrats my friend, looks pretty damn sweet!

1-Pat, I have to agree that I am trying to figure out why a $400 red dot is so much better than a $50 one, and honestly can't figure it out. And yet I am dreaming by looking at an $1100 Trijicon ACOG.

I will use the flip up iron sights (ok flip up plastic sights) for the time being until my bank account evens out. I have been saving for this beast for over a year, but didn't figure in added cost of optics.

A good red dot and a laser would make for one heck of a CQ rifle since having the stock folded makes it a great indoor self protection device, and laser aiming would make it one heck of a pistol.

Actually with stock folded it is 27 inches so thinking about it, my 50 shot PS90 would make a better CQ rifle since it can be shouldered and is barely 26 inches long.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

With the Aimpoint PRO, you're paying for the ability to leave it on for up to three years at a time with one battery, for the ability to use it the sight effectively with both lens covers shut, and for the added water and shock proof build quality that comes with a military sight.

I leave my Aimpoint turned on when my AR is in use, so it one less thing to have to mess with if i need to pick it up in a hurry (unlikely to need that feature as a citizen, I know). The rear lens cap is transparent and there is zero parallax, so no reason to even flip the front if I don't want to. In fact, leaving the front covered up actually keeps the 300 lumen weapon light from flooding the reticule out of visibility when using it in the dark.

And lots of other little reason such as the mounting system being rock solid with a QD feature and over-torque prevention, the overall build quality, the quality of the dot itself (much crisper than budget dots), and even the well designed battery caps add to the value. Keep in mind that Aimpoints were traditionally much more expensive, so the newish PRO model is quite the value in my mind. Cheaper dots work just fine, but you won't regret the investment in a higher end optic if you decide to that route.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 NewbieAKguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    Manufacturers seem to prefer tan these days. I'd love to see the Beretta, the Tavor, and all the plastic pistols available in OD or Foliage.
    Ask and you shall receive. Per IWI US's FB page: OD Green Tavors started shipping to the wholesale distributors yesterday. Look for them at your local FFL Dealer towards the end of next week! (TSG16 & TSG18)

Note that the real color of these stocks does not reproduce well on computer monitors. The actual color is a bit darker.

10446033_533611880102670_5211332020943480804_o.jpg
    "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time; the hand of force may destroy, but cannot disjoin them. ... Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever."--Thomas Jefferson

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    Sweet! I have one question though on the sight posts, why do people pay $400 for a simple red dot sight? What makes it better than say a $29-$50 red dot? I remember a lot of detractors posting about the ARX, I thought it's pretty awesome. Can't wait to hear a range report. If I had that kind of cash laying around! Congrats my friend, looks pretty damn sweet!
    OK here's my take on why an Aimpoint is better than a True Glow or other low end red dot. Real Parallax free operation, meaning you don't have to center the dot to hit with it. Constant on battery life of 3 years (mentioned already by FP). Night vision compatible, you may or may not value that. I don't have any NV gear, but hope to someday have them. Durability, shock proof and water proof. Cheap sights, not water proof in rain some of them let alone 50 feet down. Solid construction, can take a bump, not quit working and hold their zero. Cheap = can't do that.

All that said, Vortex makes some decent $170 to $200 buck range red dots that are I think fair value for the money. Durable, battery life of 600 to 1000 hours and NV capable. Durable by reputation and a decent level of water proofness.

last tru-glu i bought lasted being turned on Twice...
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

ARX100 update. Unfortunately still haven't had time to head to the range. Thought being retired would give me more time for hobbies, but I have been taking advantage of the cooler weather to do a ton of landscaping, which amazes me that I still have it in me to dig a 42 inch diameter hole 24 inches deep to remove a small stump. Landscapers want a fortune to do that!

Back to Beretta, found out that they had a $100 Beretta store thank you for buying an ARX100 coupon available, so I got it. Then while I was on the Beretta Forum I saw that several members installed a Burris AR332 scope on the rifle, so I went to the Burris site and found there is a $100 Burris rebate on the scope. Then I noticed Burris is owned by Beretta, so I went to the Beretta USA site and they had the AR332 listed at a price comparable to the other outlets, but I was able to use the Beretta Store coupon, so I ordered it. Now that I have it I will send in for the Burris rebate, so total cost of the $316 prism scope works out to $140 including shipping and sales tax.

Ordered Sunday night, arrived today (Thursday). Beretta lives up to their reputation for service.

Installed it, like the eye relief, and depending on how I will use it either like the 3X power or can live with it. Took a while but I can aim with both eyes open, funny sight picture but works great for situational awareness.

So it came down to this for $140 which really is a nice scope, versus about $400 for the Aimpoint Pro. The nice thing is that if this scope doesn't work out on this rifle, I have others that it can go on and get the Aimpoint at that time, so no loss.

Now back to stump digging out...yuck.

Can't beat that price, and it looks good on the rifle. I'm always looking for those rebate deals to come around, guess you hit the mother load.

Stumps?...........Dynamite.
    http://www.huntingarkansas.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Adog View Post
    Can't beat that price, and it looks good on the rifle. I'm always looking for those rebate deals to come around, guess you hit the mother load.

Stumps?...........Dynamite.
    Stumps too close to house, like if I am not careful with the shovel the handle hits the bricks. Unfortunately too close for TNT.

dad gum in the time you have waited for that rifle and the time it is taking for a range report, women have gotten pregnant and had the child.
    just shoot the stump 1,000 times it will fall over and we will have a yard report.
    one on the stump and the other on the rifle.

Last edited by l921428x; 09-19-2014 at 05:46 AM.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    dad gum in the time you have waited for that rifle and the time it is taking for a range report, women have gotten pregnant and had the child.
    just shoot the stump 1,000 times it will fall over and we will have a yard report.
    one on the stump and the other on the rifle.

Pretty much this. GET on with it already! Sheesh!

Guilty as well.. so many guns in the 20-60lb range that I havent even fired a round from yet. Too damn busy.. and then Im too tired after being busy.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post

Guilty as well.. so many guns in the 20-60lb range that I havent even fired a round from yet. Too damn busy.. and then Im too tired after being busy.
    Story of my life.

It was funny, when I was working and took a vacation, I did so much while on vacation that going back to work was almost a relief. When I retired, I figured I would have plenty of time for range trips. That was until I saw how much I had ignored my home and started doing to it what should have been done years ago. Now four years latter, between the cost of ammo and sore muscles from yard work, not to mention my former shooting buddy is now a doctor of neuroscience, going to the range even with such a nice toy isn't what it used to be. Add to that the range I like is no longer open on Monday or Tuesday, and the weekend all the working stiffs taking over and in not such a safe way doesn't leave much time for fun.

I'll go, eventually.

Well .... did you ever shoot that thing? Did you put it on paper? Accurate, so-so or a scatter gun? Ever try any magazine but a GI and that Beta-C drum?

As this month/year winds down, I am headed for the first year in nearly 40 that I haven't fired a shot. With daughter out of the house, and not feeling like shooting in the cold weather that seemed to have made our summer one of the shortest on record, not to mention a few tons of retirement laziness, I haven't had the drive to go out to the range alone. Pretty sad excuse.

My AR/M16 mag ownership consists only of a few zillion USGI mags, one Chinese 120 rounder wind-up, and a couple of Betas. Got the Betas for a song, about stole that Chinese legally, but with the number of USGI mags I amassed over the years, buying any of the new plastic stuff didn't make any sense. Future son-in-law said I have almost as many Stanags as his airbase armory!

With any luck I will make it to the spring and relight the fire of having a blast at the range. I did check out some indoor ranges that allow .223, but for what they charge per half hour I can almost build my own. I have no idea how they stay in business.

Arrgggghhhhhhh! You're killing me here!!!!! Ship me that thing and I'll get it to a range and put it on paper! Failing that I'll ship you Magpul and a Troy mag to try out, (but not to keep).

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    Totally forgot I do have one non-STANAG in the "closet"

I will admit that it went in easily, but even fully loaded would not "drop free". I had to give it a good smack to get it out, but that could have been that the weight was not centered on the C/G of the mag and an empty might drop free.

Balance was amazingly nice for a full loaded Beta C-mag, and it did not seem as heavy as I would have expected.

Still 100 rounds of non-stop fun.
    That's okay, I have to smack the 100 rounder out of my AR18

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123