Thread: 1,000 yard 9mm shot?

1,000 yard 9mm shot?

While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

if the wind isnt too bad once you figure out your elevation you can make long shots without much work.

Unless your bullets' spinning too fast.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

I get excited when I hit my 10x12 plate at 1000 with .308. Doesn't take much wind to move you off the target at that range. The other day I was a tenth of a mil high, made the adjustment, make a couple hits and then the wind changed and I was a full mil off target to the right.
    Last edited by ready; 08-05-2014 at 06:46 AM.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Sometimes you get lucky. Notice how the bullet missed the balloon hitting about 7:00 on the plate. The splatter broke the balloon. Having looked at a target 1000 yards away on a 1000 yard range, (didn't shoot, just looked) I can tell you what you see with the naked eye is very very small. A 6' x 6'square position number is about the size of pin head.

No kidding. When I first started shooting distance I used those cardboard idpa targets (homemade from boxes) and even at 14x it was pretty small. My 10x12 plate is like a little black square but at least I can hear the hits as opposed to guessing by the splash or driving back and forth to look.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Not bad shooting just hitting the plate. Wonder how many rounds he fired before they filmed it? Best shots I've made were a 5gal bucket at 100yds with my Colt Series 80 GM and a clay pigeon at the same distance with my Makarov. The bucket took four shots to get on target. With the Makarov I was down to the second to last round in the third magazine before I connected.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Never tried 100yd shots with a pistol. Some 50yd plate shooting. I hit a beer can not too long ago first shot at 30 yards with my buddies Remington R1.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

When I was in college I did some IMSHA competition shooting. They do chickens at 50 meters, wild boar at 100 meters, turkey at 150 meters and a ram target at 200 meters. You have to knock it off the pedestal it sits on. I started with a Python, but the .357 just didn't have the balls to knock over the rams at 200. That's when I picked up my .41 mag S&W model 57. The 220 gr. bullets I was shooting got the job done.

with my 1911 i usually shoot a 12" gong at 100 or chase around empty milk jugs

The guy i shoot with that has a CZ40B, Shooting it I can hit the gong at 150 and stay on silhouette at 200.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

I'll have to try it.

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

My best comparison is hitting soda cans with a Daisy single-pump BB gun at 50 yards as a kid. It was basically like shooting .177 caliber artillery shells...
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

I bet most of us cut our teeth on BB guns. I remember my first BB gun. You could actually see the BB's in the air when you shot them. Now you can get BB guns that hit higher velocities than .22's.

I was impressed to almost hit the 12x12 gong with my 1911 at 200yds. I was using tracers to track my POI. I guess that I was 1-2 shots from hitting the target, then I ran out of tracers...

BB guns? Yeah. 10 pump Powerline 880. Learned what you can do and not do with just 2-3 pumps.

Just rebuilt it 2-3 years ago. When I came back from the AF in 94 the gun no longer worked because my brother broke it somehow.

BISHOP
    Last edited by BISHOP; 08-08-2014 at 08:17 PM.

Those 10 pump bb guns taught me proper use of cover. If you had 1 square inch of your ass sticking out you got stung.