Thread: Does anyone have experience with the S&W Shield 9 mm

Does anyone have experience with the S&W Shield 9 mm

I'm considering upgrading my concealed carry. Presently I have a PF9 and am considering a Shield. Has anyone had experience with both of these weapons? Any input would be appreciated.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Bummer, I don't have any experience with them and I guess nobody else does either given the lack of response.

LOL. Thanks for including me Schuetz. I was beginning to think I missed a shower today.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

My father carries one. It shoots well and seems as if it should be as reliable as any full size polymer frame striker fired handgun. I don't have a PF-9 to compare it to though.

If you like the Smith M&P series than you will like the Shield. Personally, I've got the XD-s on my short list.

Also, you may want to consider the new Ruger LC9s. Its the same old LC9 but now striker fired.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Thumbs up

No experience with either but I have read mostly good reviews about the Shield on the S&W forum. Other than a break in period most owners don't seem to be having any major issues. After reading your post and looking around for info I'm thinking about getting one myself. The .40 seems to be selling for about $50 cheaper than the 9x19 model. I've got a G26 so I might look at a .40 Shield as I don't have a CCW piece in that caliber other than my S&W 610 revolver.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Thanks for the input everyone. I carry in my front pocket and my concern is whether or not the shield would work for that. I guess I need to get my hands on one to try it out.

These things were really hard to find when they first came out because they were so popular. Before I moved overseas one came in to my gun store and I got to handle it. I was impressed with every aspect of it. The size, the feel, the trigger (for and M&P), and the safety (this is a hot topic but I like a safety on a striker fired pistol for IWB carry).

I haven't shot one but on erogos alone I'd recommend it.