Thread: Opinels?

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Thumbs up Opinels?

Picked up a No9 and a No10 this week, both carbon steel. There are my first Opinels. The design is very simplistic. Both came quite sharp with solid lockup. Very well put together for such a simple and inexpensive tool. Used the No9 to slice some peaches for breakfast this morning which it did effortlessly. They are great slicers. The 10 is a pretty good size knife and perhaps a bit large for pocket carry. The No9 is more pocket friendly but I may still look at picking up a couple smaller ones to try out.

For the price I think these would be great for every glove box or console be it a car, truck, boat, etc. Every bug out bag, backpack, etc. should have an Opinel tucked down in a pocket some place. These things are kind of like a folding Mora as they are good quality, handy, basically cheap and can come in useful in so many ways. I'll probably put one of these in the kitchen junk drawer for the wife to use when she arranges flowers and or other little chores in and around the kitchen and back patio. The other will go in my range bag.

http://newgraham.com/VRN9-OP-13090/

http://newgraham.com/VRN10-OP-13100/
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

I have seen those before Richard. As you use it, please update the post. I'm all about quality items and inexpensive prices. I love my Moras. If you like this knife I may just have to pick one or two up.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Those are different looking.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Viking350 View Post
    I have seen those before Richard. As you use it, please update the post. I'm all about quality items and inexpensive prices. I love my Moras. If you like this knife I may just have to pick one or two up.
    Will do. It was mentioned on another forum and I've noticed it myself, the top rear portion of the handle kind of digs into the palm of my hand. The No10, not so much but on the No9 it's enough that I think it would cause a hot spot over extended/hard use. I may sand the top down a little. it kind of flares from the factory. if I were to knock part of the flare or even radius the top part of the handle I think it would make it feel better. The lower part of the flare helps lock your pinky finger in during the draw stroke so I like that and won't change that part of the grip.

Some users suggest modding the point as well to more of a drop point. May try that at some point but for the moment I'm pretty happy with the blade profile as is.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell