Thread: DAMN twice in a row!!

DAMN twice in a row!!

Shooting my own reloads in my AR and I had 2 squibs in a row. One or two shots later another squib.

I was shooting the hollow points I reloaded and remembered that there was a problem with the powder feeding with some. I guess I found them.

BISHOP

thats part of the game.

If im unsure about a certain round I've loaded I weigh the completed round on my scale comparing it to others.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Sounds like your loader does not like you!

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post
    thats part of the game.

If im unsure about a certain round I've loaded I weigh the completed round on my scale comparing it to others.
    This would be my suggestion. Weigh the loaded rounds and look for ones radically lighter.

Weighing the rounds is a no go. I don't have an electronic scale and it would take longer to weigh the questionable rounds than it would to just pound out the stuck bullets.
    I know it sounds ludicrous, but... umm... I'm lazy.

I have a Lee Pro 1000 and the powder thing is my fault for being low and not noticing. I though I got all of the offending ones. I gave them a shake and listened for the sound of powder.
    It was only a few of the 20 or so hollow points I loaded.

YES I'M A BAD RELOADER. I'm not one of the obsessed anal types.

If I had one of these, I wouldn't have this problem.

BISHOP

get one of those mini scales like a Frankford Arsenal $30-40

i've had mine for a few years and it's still dead-on . If any rounds are in question i just use it real quick.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Be careful brother. That's a quick way to ruin a nice rifle and/or your face.

I know Dillon has a low powder warning buzzer as an add-on for the powder hopper. Maybe Lee makes one too?

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

At least it wasn't the opposite...
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

Great idea on the mini scale, but it made me think. I'm on vacation and have $$ to spend so maybe I just may get that lock and load scale I just posted.
    I found one for $200 and am considering it.
    If not that, I found a few mini scales on Ebay for under $40.

I just may get a mini scale because that $200 was being saved for a Battle Mug...... That's right....Don't judge me!

BISHOP

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

A good scale is a must for proper and "safe" reloading.

Considering how cheap a decent electronic scale is it's foolish not to have one. They're a lot cheaper than a new gun or a funeral.

I've been meaning to start reloading for like 5 years. Mainly for rifle but I haven't gone past the brass collecting phase.

I never wanted to get "in to" reloading because EVERY SINGLE PERSON I know has become sadistic about finding the right combination of bass lead and powder.
    I swore that I would never become one of those guys.

I bought a single stage (or whatever they are called) Lee press.
    That is when I started to learn the basics and TRY to ask questions on forums where all I got is that I need to read this book and that book....... Seriously bla bla bla.
    I did check out the first chapter of one book that one guy suggested. It was full of common sense that, as long as you are not a moron, was obvious.

Ahead a few years and no I have a house and am setting up the gun room, I wanted to set up the press. But I was minus a digital scale . The "analog" scale that came with the kit was CRAP and SO slow to use.
    So one day I am looking to get a digital scale and kept running in to that lock and load scale that I just posted a pic of.
    So while I was comparing prices and shipping suddenly Lee Pro 1000 progressive presses started popping up already set up in just about any caliber you wanted for just about (I forget exactly) n $152-189. It was less that I was going to spend on the scale and it was everything I really needed for what I was going to do.

So now I'm a reloader. BUT I will never be looking for the perfect bullet. I reload "surplus ammo". That's right simple FMJ the basic powder loads and simple crimp.

The problems with the Lee Pro 1000 are as follows.
    *No directions as how to set it up.
    *The primer feed unit simply doesn't work.
    *The powder measuring cups are listed in Volume and not grains like every other fucking thing in the reloading world.

There is more to this story, but I'm watching Lone Survivor so I have to go.

BISHOP

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I have this Dillon Scale, it is $139.95 and is top grade gear IMHO. Get it and as you will notice it isn't 2 bills. They also have a hard case for it that costs just shy of $15 bucks. Also worth getting, holds the scale, power adapter, calibration weight, pan and wind cover, the clear dome thing. If you really loaded a squib, then you should be over 20 grains light. Even a balance beam would show this. If you didn't plop the round in the pan the squibs wouldn't lift the beam more than likely. A full round would immediately lift it and over shoot the zero. That said, get the Dillon, it is fast.

Lee gear is entry level stuff, you get what you pay for.