Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Richard Dawkins Has Created Quite the Stir This Time

Wink Richard Dawkins Has Created Quite the Stir This Time

Richard Dawkins, the atheist writer, has caused a stir on Twitter claiming it is "immoral" to allow unborn babies with Down's syndrome to live. But what do the relatives of people with Down's syndrome think about the comments?

The Oxford professor posted the message on Twitter in response to a user who wrote she would be faced with "a real ethical dilemma" if she became pregnant and learned that the baby would be born with Down's syndrome.

"Abort it and try again," Dawkins tweeted in reply. "It would be immoral to bring it into the world if you have the choice."

His comments have caused anger online and have been dismissed by charities, but he insists his views are "very civilised", tweeting: "These are fetuses, diagnosed before they have human feelings."
    http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-ouch-28879659

DU is all up in arms right now. I've never seen so many supposedly "pro-choice" people taking the "pro-life" stance when it comes to fetuses diagnosed with Trisomy-21. Everyone screaming about "eugenics" and "Nazi sterilization programs", etc.

I'm still on the fence myself. While I sympathize with the argument that fetuses diagnosed early with serious birth defects should be encouraged to be aborted, I wouldn't judge any parents who knew full well what they were getting into, the time-commitment and everything involved with caring for a disabled person, carrying the pregnancy to term.

And there's no denying that many D.S. children bring much joy into people's lives. Some people just really like caring for them, and they seem to enjoy life as well.

I think Richard is just being his usual sensationalist self. Taking arguing logic to the extreme. He's become quite the philosopher in his retirement, that's for sure...
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

They would rather abort the healthy babies I guess.

Being backwards is the definition of being leftist.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

I think aborting a baby because it will have major health problems is a different ballgame than aborting a healthy baby because it is inconvenient for you. On the former, I don't know that there is really a right answer to that question. It is one thing to look at the world as completely black and white and say that abortion is wrong no matter the circumstances. I can also understand returning a baby who will live a very difficult and ill life to God. I personally will not judge someone either way in this context.

IMHO it is still a human life and needs to be respected as such.

IMHO.. it's not something I'd be cheering on. That's the parents decision they'll have to live with.

ask me..

I'd take richard dawkins on a walk, just him me and my bowie knife.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    From the same brilliant mind that thinks child molestation isn't really so bad

Really? This again?

By its very nature atheism prohibits the possibility of morality. Since objective morality is impossible discussions on subjective morality are utterly pointless, as you would need an objective moral standard to judge them by.

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    I think aborting a baby because it will have major health problems is a different ballgame than aborting a healthy baby because it is inconvenient for you. On the former, I don't know that there is really a right answer to that question. It is one thing to look at the world as completely black and white and say that abortion is wrong no matter the circumstances. I can also understand returning a baby who will live a very difficult and ill life to God. I personally will not judge someone either way in this context.

IMHO it is still a human life and needs to be respected as such.
    If I murder a retarded person would it be as wrong as if I murdered a normal person?

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    From the same brilliant mind that thinks child molestation isn't really so bad

Really? This again?

By its very nature atheism prohibits the possibility of morality. Since objective morality is impossible discussions on subjective morality are utterly pointless, as you would need an objective moral standard to judge them by.
    I don't know, it sounds like even many atheists disagree with him here on this one. He certainly has the habit of sticking his foot in his mouth lately.

Kind of like Joe Biden.
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

ask an athiest to take a piece of paper.

write down the numbers 1 to 10 and cut them separate .
    Then toss them into the air .

HOW and WHEN will they land perfectly in the order of 1 to 10????
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Quote Originally Posted by LAGC View Post
    I don't know, it sounds like even many atheists disagree with him here on this one. He certainly has the habit of sticking his foot in his mouth lately.

Kind of like Joe Biden.

Funny how they are fine with making their own rules but they don't give anyone else the privilege.

If I murder a retarded person would it be as wrong as if I murdered a normal person?
    My great uncle was retarded.. he was 76 and had the brain of a 7 year old. Yet he owned a mosin nagant at age 5 and kept my air force picture in his wallet till he died. He loved everyone, no matter their color race or condition.

these people that judge are filth Raxar .. you, me and God know this. As whack as we may seem most times, we have to harden our hearts to those that need the most.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

Sick evil bastard.
    Returns June 3rd.

This ^^^^^

To have a moral compass one must embrace the idea that there are morals, right and wrong, good and bad...

Atheism denies there is a right or wrong, a good or a bad, thus it is incapable of weighing in on any moral choice or decision.
    If we refuse to rule ourselves with reason, then we shall be ruled by our passions.

He, Who Will Not Reason, Is a Bigot; He, Who Cannot, Is a Fool; and He, Who Dares Not, Is a Slave. -Sir William Drummond

There are some things I will not abide within my sight!

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post
    ask an athiest to take a piece of paper.

write down the numbers 1 to 10 and cut them separate .
    Then toss them into the air .

HOW and WHEN will they land perfectly in the order of 1 to 10????
    The odds of landing perfectly per throw I would guess are 1 in 3,628,800.

Here are two questions for Christians. 1) Did God raid down mana from heaven to feed the Israelites? 2) How come there was no mana rained downed to feed the starving people during any of the great historical famines?

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    Quote Originally Posted by jet3534 View Post

Here are two questions for Christians. 1) Did God raid down mana from heaven to feed the Israelites? 2) How come there was no mana rained downed to feed the starving people during any of the great historical famines?
    Maybe the Israelites were the only ones who happened to ask the right God.
    No enemy of America would have ever been killed if they didn't show up to be killed. HDR

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by N/A View Post

Good point.

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jet3534 View Post

Um, ask God, he,ll tell you if done in a respectful manner. Eventually, you need to understand he doesn't work on your schedule but his own.
    Returns June 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by El Jefe View Post
    Um, ask God, he,ll tell you if done in a respectful manner. Eventually, you need to understand he doesn't work on your schedule but his own.
    There is a book that's called the bible. It's got a lot of good answers in there if you would just pick it up and read...... Pointed to jet not you mister jefe..

Quote Originally Posted by N/A View Post
    Did they stop asking? To quote Elijah speaking to Ahab and announcing a famine, “As the Lord God of Israel lives, I stand before Him, and there will be no dew or rain during these years except by my command!”
    Last edited by jet3534; 08-22-2014 at 09:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Silentkilla01 View Post
    There is a book that's called the bible. It's got a lot of good answers in there if you would just pick it up and read...... Pointed to jet not you mister jefe..
    Read and reread several times.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast