Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Debating a new range toy this spring...

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

Debating a new range toy this spring...

So I was looking at something just for fun to purchase this spring, and I've got a few guns in mind. Any input from those who've had experience with these in the past much appreciated. Any suggestions also welcome. First up:

Ruger .44 Magnum Revolver.
    I'm torn between the Blackhawk and Redhawk. While I like the idea of being able to fire double action with the Redhawk, I'm not so sure I like the Hogue grip or the shape of the frame. I've fired the Ruger Super Blackhawk before, and though only single action, I really enjoyed the "old western" look of it. The way the gun rolled back in my hand and came to a stop right on my thumb knuckle was a little off putting at first, but much preferable than the recoil throwing the gun up over or into my head. After firing 12 rounds and getting comfortable with the thing, I became pretty fond of it. With a round this large I'm not sure just how much of a favor a double action would do me.

M1911 Clone
    I'm not looking at one of these as a carry gun, I'm pretty damn content with my Glock 19. But the 1911 has a certain cool factor to it and I just don't think any gun safe could be complete without one. I've fired one before (a Norinco model), and it just screamed bad assery the moment I laid hands on it. Recoils a little harder than my 9mm (duh), but a very pleasant feel to it. It's just a damn fun gun to shoot. I'm currently looking at Kimbers, but feel free to divert my eyes and give me additional options. I have a tendency to shoot low with this style of gun though, but I'm gonna chalk that up to my inexperience to the style of gun and the low velocity of .45.

.357 Magnum double action Revolver.
    The ability to shoot .357 mag & .38 Special is appealing, as is the reliability of a double action pistol (maybe keep it in the truck as a back up carry option in the future).
    Not a lot of kick, cheaper available ammo for plinking, but still packs plenty of punch. Always nice to have.

Double Barrel 12 guage.
    Well, why the hell not?

Henry Lever Action.
    Was debating about the 45/70 or the .44 Magnum. 1. Because lever actions are just fucking cool. 2. Because we can now deer hunt with rifles in Ohio provided we use straight walled cartridges. So really a double whammy here.

Springfield M1A.
    It wouldn't really be a first choice SHTF gun by any means, but could perform well in that role if need be. I really just like the iconic look and feel of the Garand and M14 rifles. The availability of .308 ammo is nice, the rifles are supposed to pretty damn accurate, and a .308 can really reach out and touch something. Could be a really nice 500+ yard fun gun. A decently built FAL rifle could probably also fill this role, though I've never laid hands on one and don't know what to expect.

I'm also open to suggestions on .22LR semi automatics. But it has been my experience that .22LR semi- autos are really either jam a lot period, or are real picky about the ammo you feed them.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

I'm gonna have to go 1911. They're all good choices though. Always wanted a .44 revolver AND a lever action combo. Or .357.

1911s are just so much fun to shoot and customize.

.22's...There's a million but I love my 10/22's and my Spike's .22 AR.

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Re: Debating a new range toy this spring...

I would go with the revolver. Reloading .357 is a snap. My big one is a Taurus, s&w 686 clone in stainless steel. Built like a tank and with the 8 inch barrel would knock down a moose at a hundred yards.

Sent from my LT15a using Tapatalk 2
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

On the .44 mag handgun, I'd go Redhawk over Blackhawk. Double action is faster to load. The RH is very much stronger than the BH IMHO. So you Buckeye's can finally use a rifle if it is a lower power pistol type cartridge, well .44 magnum would be your best choice in a Marlin of some sort.

.357 magnum, meah ok but obsolete in this day and time. I have 2 from back in the 1970's when I got them, hardly ever shoot one of them anymore. I do reload both the .357 and the .38 spl. round for them. I also cast the bullets, so it isn't a cost thing, just an "I'm bored with it" thing. This could dovetail in with your Deer hunting rifle as Marlins are available in .357.

On a Henry rifle in .45-70, why? Super long case, 1870's technology designed for black powder. Dinosaur. If you want a lever gun, why not one of their .22 LR versions.

The M1A Springfield rifle, I own one a Loaded Package grade rifle. I seldom shoot it but it is my favorite of the 7.62 NATO main battle rifles. I loved building FAL rifles but they don't shoot with as much accuracy as the M1A. The M1A isn't a tack driver until you get one of their Super Match versions in a synthetic stock. I put my M1A in a synthetic stock as the used GI wood stock did not fit it overly tight. They need to be tight or accuracy suffers. The FAL rifles knock the bullet off axis to the case body when the round chambers. I've tested this on 5 different FAL rifles and every one of them did this. The M1A does not do this, you chamber a round and eject it carefully and the bullet will still be in line with the case axis.

All that said, I'd look at an AR10, (AR15 on roids) 7.62 NATO chambered rifle today. The M1A is an obsolete design, the mags rock in, the bolt is exposed to anything that falls on it or it falls into. (Dirt, Sand, Mud, Snow, freezing rain). The AR10 styles have the dust cover to seal them up when not firing. The mags stuff up and in just like the AR15 platform. This IMO is much better than the older "rock in" mag design of the M1A and the FAL. Plus if you haven an AR15 the functioning of both rifles would be the same in how you charge it, put in the magazines and break it down for cleaning.

On .22 lr semiauto rifles I swear I'd look at the Sig rifle, though if you have an AR15 then a dedicated .22 LR upper would make sense and yes they are sensitive to the ammo. On the other hand, I can't find any .22 LR ammo in the stores so I've stopped shooting mine, can't replace what I burn up.

.45 ACP handgun, 1911 well OK if that's what you want. They are slender and they should get the job done. One of the first 3 handguns I purchased back when I first could was a Colt 1911 Government model. I still use it on odd occasions but for the most part it sits in the vault. I also cast and reload for this one, so ammo cost isn't an issue. You mention having a Glock 19, that's primarily what I carry and shoot when I shoot a handgun anymore. I also load for that one and cast for it. I use an after market stainless barrel in it as the Glock barrels are not designed to shoot cast bullets so I read.

Well that's my 2 cents on your post. Let us know what you pop for.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 08-26-2014 at 06:04 PM.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

I'd go w/ the M1A in 7.62 NATO because it's the next rifle I'd like to buy. Great range shooter but would also perform well as a SHTF type weapon imo.

Quote Originally Posted by mrkalashnikov View Post
    I'd go w/ the M1A in 7.62 NATO because it's the next rifle I'd like to buy. Great range shooter but would also perform well as a SHTF type weapon imo.
    Sexy.
    Face your fear, accept your war.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TEN-32 View Post
    Sexy.
    I have a shooting buddy who bought one around 12 years ago & always totes it to the range when we go. A tad on the heavy side when loaded w/ a full 20-rd mag but it most definitely "gets the job done".

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

.44 Mag - I went Super Redhawk. I have the 95" barrel and it is a heavy gun. With the scope it is accurate, but somewhat large. I bought a chest rig from Cabella's that makes it pretty easy to carry in the woods. I wanted the double action for faster second shots when pig hunting.

1911 - IMHO, I just don't like them that much... I like double/single actions with no safety. Didn't really care for the rattley Tupperware, so I'm a Sig guy...

.357 - Been there, done that, reloaded for it... If I found a hell of a deal I might buy another, but I'm not spending time hunting one down. There are other things I want more.

Double 12 - SxS or OU? Clay shooter or coach gun? Guess everyone should have one or two of these...

Henry Lever - A .44 Mag would make a nice companion to the revolver. Good round to reload and cast...

Sprinfield M1A - A bucket list rifle for me, just haven't run into the deal yet...

Semi .22LR - Tricked out 10/22... I settled for a SS Laminate, but really want one of the super light weights with the skeletonized stock, Carbon Fiber Barrel and Titanium everything. That thing is expensive for a 10/22, but worth it.
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

Quote Originally Posted by mrkalashnikov View Post
    I have a shooting buddy who bought one around 12 years ago & always totes it to the range when we go. A tad on the heavy side when loaded w/ a full 20-rd mag but it most definitely "gets the job done".
    I don't have one. Always wanted one. I scratch the itch with my Garand. Not the same I know, but still..very satisfying.
    Face your fear, accept your war.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

I'm surprised at the lack of love for .357 in this thread. If you don't have one, I say get yourself a vintage Smith.

As far as a .308 goes, I'd look at one of the newer PTR rifles, like this one for $999:

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-rifles/ptr-91-a3s-308-rifle2014-07-29-03-31-34-detail.html?Itemid=0

These are made in SC now.
    Last edited by FunkyPertwee; 08-25-2014 at 04:45 PM.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

If I did get a M1-A, it would probably be a classic model or a scout squad, maybe with walnut.

http://www.kygunco.com/springfield-m...barrel-ca-1919
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    The only one on the list I would say "no fucking way" to is the henry, they're way over priced compared the the marlins, which back when they were still made by marlin were the better gun.

Of the list the M1a is the coolest. Speaking from personal experience even in a group of people with the most tricked out tacticool AR's the guy walking around with a wood stocked M1a is the most bad-assed.

I've got a Winchester 94 in .44mag many years ago. I don't shoot it much, took it hunting a few times but never shot a deer with it. It's fun to shoot, got a little kick with the thin plastic butt plate, but easy enough to put a mag full down range. Will also shoot the .44 specials, for the youngins and the ladies, haha. Been a great rifle for what it cost back then, $320 out the door iirc.
    It's nice to have a few pistols of the same caliber too. Interchangeable ammo, and a good excuse to buy more guns.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Except the wood stock M1As are the most likely to go wonky on accuracy. Humidity makes the stocks swell, (also rain). Dry out too much and stuff gets loose. Leave it with the trigger group locked down tight and the wood eventually compresses. Those that use to shoot them in competition, (before McMillian synthetic stocks) would unlock the trigger group and back it out to release the pressure on the stock.

Looks cool isn't the same or worth a shit if you want to actually HIT something down range.

Thanks for all input here, definitely a few more options that got me looking in other ways. The M1A... Off the top rifles for SHTF list for sure (thank you schuetz, for pointing out that the face is better than the snatch), but not out of the running as a safe queen/ range toy.

.357 mag, I've decided to strike it off the list for the moment, as I do very much love the idea of having a .44 mag revolver matching a .44 mag lever action. Not hell bent on the pair immediately, but it is edging near the top of the list of likely candidates of near future likely purchases.

This here though:
    .44 Mag - I went Super Redhawk. I have the 95" barrel and it is a heavy gun. With the scope it is accurate, but somewhat large. I bought a chest rig from Cabella's that makes it pretty easy to carry in the woods. I wanted the double action for faster second shots when pig hunting.
    Yeah, I'd say a 95 inch barrel would make a gun a royal heavy bitch to lug around, let alone shoot!

Seriously though, how do you feel the difference in the shape of the frame and grip between the Redhawk and Blackhawk affect the trajectory of the pistol while firing? Like I said, I ain't a big guy, so it's more than a little comforting to know the pistol is going to roll back and stop against my thumb knuckle with the barrel in the air without rearranging my face. Also, I won't be hog hunting in central Ohio any time soon, maybe if I were in Arkansas still I'd have a little more value in a DA .44 mag.

Also, on the Marlin Vs. Henry topic, one of the key selling points Henry has going for it is 100% U.S. made. My small gun collection might have a couple commies in the group, but when a company keeps its entire manufacturing line from beginning to end in the U.S. employing Americans, I wanna give them some support. If Marlin is also doing this, I'll certainly look into them more and do some research between the two.

Funky Pertwee, that PTR you posted looks nice, you now have my attention provided I'm not stuck with that style of rear sight. Not too sure I like that style of sight.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

I have a Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 mag and a Blackhawk in .45 LC. They both shoot great. I don't feel at any disadvantage using them compared to a DA. Hell, it only takes one shot to get the job done, most of the time, so quickness of reloading isn't a deal breaker for me. For some reason, they just feel good in my hand. I'm more accurate firing SA than I am firing DA.

I have an ATI 1911 and it's quite accurate. Hasn't had any burps with any of the ammo I've put in it.

If you're looking for a good lever action in .22 LR, don't forget to look at Marlin's 39 series. They hold alot of ammo and are sweet to shoot.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

For the price of all of them. I'd buy a SA58 Para Congo.

I've owned the tricked out $$$ super match M1A Scheutz spoke of.
    Great rifle, very accurate BUT at the end of the day a guy with a good AR-10 he spent way less on can outshoot you.

You can talk MOA ,groups, blah blah blah all day . but if it cant hit with authority @500+ yards . Why bother.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Team GunsNet Silver 02/2014

I've got a 7.5 Redhawk and I love the Hogue on it! In the brush, it rides in a Bianchi shoulder rig.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    I have a Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 mag and a Blackhawk in .45 LC. They both shoot great. I don't feel at any disadvantage using them compared to a DA. Hell, it only takes one shot to get the job done, most of the time, so quickness of reloading isn't a deal breaker for me. For some reason, they just feel good in my hand. I'm more accurate firing SA than I am firing DA.

I have an ATI 1911 and it's quite accurate. Hasn't had any burps with any of the ammo I've put in it.

If you're looking for a good lever action in .22 LR, don't forget to look at Marlin's 39 series. They hold alot of ammo and are sweet to shoot.
    If I go 1911, I'll be sure to look into the ATI's further. I'm thinking on striking a .22LR off my list for now due to .22LR being such a bitch to find these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post
    I've owned the tricked out $$$ super match M1A Scheutz spoke of.
    Great rifle, very accurate BUT at the end of the day a guy with a good AR-10 he spent way less on can outshoot you.
    A fair point, I'm just wanting to break away from the black rifles for a bit. Love them, but I want some variety.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Morris View Post
    I've got a 7.5 Redhawk and I love the Hogue on it! In the brush, it rides in a Bianchi shoulder rig.
    Dan
    Had a Hogue grip on my AR at one point. Didn't like it and traded it for a box of ammo. And I really just don't know that I like the shape of the frame on a Redhawk to begin with. I may strike off this one also.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggressive Perfector View Post
    So I was looking at something just for fun to purchase this spring, and I've got a few guns in mind. Any input from those who've had experience with these in the past much appreciated. Any suggestions also welcome. First up:

Ruger .44 Magnum Revolver.
    I'm torn between the Blackhawk and Redhawk. While I like the idea of being able to fire double action with the Redhawk, I'm not so sure I like the Hogue grip or the shape of the frame. I've fired the Ruger Super Blackhawk before, and though only single action, I really enjoyed the "old western" look of it. The way the gun rolled back in my hand and came to a stop right on my thumb knuckle was a little off putting at first, but much preferable than the recoil throwing the gun up over or into my head. After firing 12 rounds and getting comfortable with the thing, I became pretty fond of it. With a round this large I'm not sure just how much of a favor a double action would do me.

M1911 Clone
    I'm not looking at one of these as a carry gun, I'm pretty damn content with my Glock 19. But the 1911 has a certain cool factor to it and I just don't think any gun safe could be complete without one. I've fired one before (a Norinco model), and it just screamed bad assery the moment I laid hands on it. Recoils a little harder than my 9mm (duh), but a very pleasant feel to it. It's just a damn fun gun to shoot. I'm currently looking at Kimbers, but feel free to divert my eyes and give me additional options. I have a tendency to shoot low with this style of gun though, but I'm gonna chalk that up to my inexperience to the style of gun and the low velocity of .45.

.357 Magnum double action Revolver.
    The ability to shoot .357 mag & .38 Special is appealing, as is the reliability of a double action pistol (maybe keep it in the truck as a back up carry option in the future).
    Not a lot of kick, cheaper available ammo for plinking, but still packs plenty of punch. Always nice to have.

Double Barrel 12 guage.
    Well, why the hell not?

Henry Lever Action.
    Was debating about the 45/70 or the .44 Magnum. 1. Because lever actions are just fucking cool. 2. Because we can now deer hunt with rifles in Ohio provided we use straight walled cartridges. So really a double whammy here.

Springfield M1A.
    It wouldn't really be a first choice SHTF gun by any means, but could perform well in that role if need be. I really just like the iconic look and feel of the Garand and M14 rifles. The availability of .308 ammo is nice, the rifles are supposed to pretty damn accurate, and a .308 can really reach out and touch something. Could be a really nice 500+ yard fun gun. A decently built FAL rifle could probably also fill this role, though I've never laid hands on one and don't know what to expect.

I'm also open to suggestions on .22LR semi automatics. But it has been my experience that .22LR semi- autos are really either jam a lot period, or are real picky about the ammo you feed them.
    My .02. I have just about all the guns you mentioned. Though I did years ago sell off my 12 gauge Rossi coach gun. Still regret that.

.44 Magnum. I bought the Ruger Redhawk to hunt deer with. Comfortable to shoot. I put Leupold scope on it. Forget the power, but for some reason. It is not my first choice to hunt deer with. I did pick up a Ruger Deerfield rifle so that I do have the choice of using the same caliber in two platforms. Also bought the Carbine to hunt with, and because I thought that it was a cool looking rifle. But now in all seriousness both range toys.

M1911. Have several. Don't use it for carry. But I agree. A certain coolness factor of owning one. I think that everyone should have at least one. Love the feel of it, plus I have a Colt with a Remington Rand slide on it. Manufacture date of around 1917. Still is a great pistol and shoots fantastic for its age.

.357/.38. Nothing beats a good wheel gun. Good for first time shooters plus the advantage of shooting either caliber is a plus. I use this pistol to introduce new shooters. Plus I also have a Rossi Puma lever action in .357. I bought it for my son to use as his first deer rifle. Now he prefers to use a larger caliber rifle. Still once again. The ability to use the same ammo for a rifle or handgun is appealing.

Double barrel 12 gauge. I had a Rossi coach gun. It was a really neat gun to have. Like a dummy I sold it off. I got it because in every cowboy movie you see them and since I was a kid. Wanted one. IF I could find another one. I would buy it.

Springfield M1a. Love the rifle. With iron sights. I can easily hit man sized targets at 300 yards. I probably could do better but that is the range that I am limited to at my local out door range. I also have a M1 Garand in .308. Either one is a fine rifle. I have taken both in the woods to use to hunt with. Just never had the opportunity to take a deer with one. My son can handle both rifles and except for lack of mags (on my part) for the M1a. Fine rifle for longer shots and SHTF.

.22? Have several rifles and one pistol in that caliber. Great for plinking and introducing new shooters. I agree. Finding .22 at this time is difficult. But, when I bought a .22 kit for my Uzi, I stocked up on it. So, I have no problem taking a .22 to the range, as I am not worried about running out anytime soon. But I don't go through 500 rounds a range trip like I used to.

So, my best advice? Find what you want and get it. My G23 is my carry gun. I have plenty of ammo for it. For me, shtf gun would be an ar15. Because I have more than one, plenty of mags and ammo for it.

Now if the need arouse, and depending on the situation. I have plenty of other guns that I could use. Long range shooting, protecting the house etc. A double barrel 12 gauge wouldn't be my first choice for home defense. My 870 fits that role.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast