Thread: Am I Missing Something?

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Am I Missing Something?

Over the past year, or so, I've seen a few photos of shooters holding their AR's almost horizontally while shooting. Most, if not all of them, looked like they were in competition settings. It reminded me to the "gansta" style hold using a handgun.

I've also noticed that you can buy offset sights so you can mount them on your rails, allowing this type of hold.

Is there a valid reason for holding the gun this way, or is it just done just to show off?
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

I believe the reason is to have a magnified optic for distance shooting and sideways mounted irons for "cappin' fools up close".

Have a picture? Mine ends up cocked due to the way the stock rests between my body armor and my shoulder. Slightly canting the rifle also puts your optic closer to your centerline instead of having to lean your head over when firing square to your target.

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Re: Am I Missing Something?

Maybe it's the final kill shot.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ready View Post
    Have a picture? Mine ends up cocked due to the way the stock rests between my body armor and my shoulder. Slightly canting the rifle also puts your optic closer to your centerline instead of having to lean your head over when firing square to your target.
    No, no pic. Most of the ones I've seen have been in gun magazines and it showed the shooter, in what looked like a combat-type environment, moving from station to station, with his rifle canted that way.

I guess it does make sense to put open sights on the side while using telescopic sights on top. The best of both worlds, so to speak. Interesting.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    I believe the reason is to have a magnified optic for distance shooting and sideways mounted irons for "cappin' fools up close".
    This. 45-degree off-set iron sights allow for an easy transition to accurately engage closer targets when you have a higher-powered optic mounted to the rifle.
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

Quote Originally Posted by skorpion View Post
    This. 45-degree off-set iron sights allow for an easy transition to accurately engage closer targets when you have a higher-powered optic mounted to the rifle.
    This. I prefer a rear iron with a top notch for cqb. Still allows co-witness with your optic and no need to tilt the rifle and waste valuable time reacquiring sight picture.
    Face your fear, accept your war.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

TEN-32, I really like that concept.

One thing I wonder about though, if the bottom of the notch is 600 meters, than what it is the peep actually set for, 2000 meters?
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Quote Originally Posted by skorpion View Post
    I would think that would've been obvious in the picture which is why I mentioned the body armor. I know if I shoulder my rifle on top of my plate it's not stable but if I cant it slightly so it rides in that nook between the shooters cut on the plate and the pocket in my shoulder its stable and repeatable.

Then again, I've never seen anybody wear plates in competition. Who knows. I think some people just do shit because they saw it on the internet with zero understanding as to why or when it's applicable.

LAGC, what do you think?

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

Then again, I've never seen anybody wear plates in competition. Who knows. I think some people just do shit because they saw it on the internet with zero understanding as to why or when it's applicable.

LAGC, what do you think?
    Like the now-popular C-clamp grip on ARs with the support hand?
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    TEN-32, I really like that concept.

One thing I wonder about though, if the bottom of the notch is 600 meters, than what it is the peep actually set for, 2000 meters?
    The arms has 2 rear peeps just like a GI BUIS. The small peep folds down. So my rifles are zero'd at 50/200 with the small peep. The notch is for inside of 50/CQB. Those 400, 500 and 600 meter references are not something I am familiar with or would find useful. I run an Eotech on one rifle and it provides a perfect co-witness with this set up.

I see the theory behind the 400-600 meter sight alignment. Raising the front sight post incrementally obviously compensates for bullet drop out to those distances. I have not played with this function of the ARMS sight.

Kadmos, what do you run on your ARs?
    Last edited by TEN-32; 09-04-2014 at 09:48 PM.
    Face your fear, accept your war.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

You guys are cracking me up ... LAGC, Kadmos what do you think? LOL

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2014 Hatedbysheeple's Avatar

Why someone would do that in competition when they can set up their rifle with the optics they want is beyond me. I do it when I don't have my issued rifle with its eotech, and someone hands me a rifle with an acog or other magnified optic and I am shooting while moving at ranges of less than 10 yards. By canting the rifle about 45 degrees I get the useless (at that range) optic out of my line of sight, and it lines up the action and barrel of the gun with my eye. After a red dot or laser it's the fastest sight reference I can think of. It is plenty accurate for multiple center of mass hits while running (literally) and clears up my field of vision to look for other targets and obstacles.
    Last edited by Hatedbysheeple; 09-06-2014 at 08:29 AM.

LAGC, what do you think?
    Seems a little odd to me.

I've seen reference to it before on a few blogs I've come across though.

Here: http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...ghts-on-ar-15/

Sounds like it may just be part of a competition rig allowing for quick-change between optics and iron sights.
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

When using a magnified optic, there is no co-witnessing of sights, so this, and other ideas/theories? were thought up.

Everyone's eyesight is different.

For instance, I hate co-witness sights when looking through a non-magnified optic.
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

Yeah when I put a 1-4x on my AR I couldn't see my front sight at all. I also hate magnified optics on my carbines. I can't stand when I ID a target and then have my FOV and reference change when I bring the weapon up. I also had a problem with "tunnelling" when shooting from improvised positions. You can't always establish the proper eye relief needed for magnified optics.

Could be a training issue because other guys use them without issue. I've got alot of hours behind an eotech which is pretty forgiving.

Yeah when I put a 1-4x on my AR I couldn't see my front sight at all. I also hate magnified optics on my carbines. I can't stand when I ID a target and then have my FOV and reference change when I bring the weapon up. I also had a problem with "tunnelling" when shooting from improvised positions. You can't always establish the proper eye relief needed for magnified optics.

Could be a training issue because other guys use them without issue. I've got alot of hours behind an eotech which is pretty forgiving.
    I love my Aimpoint but I've always wanted to try a 1-4x.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    I love my Aimpoint but I've always wanted to try a 1-4x.
    The problem is they're not parallax free so they're sensitive to head movement which isn't good in a dynamic environment. You're not always going to have the ability or the time to get directly behind the rifle with proper eye relief to establish a good sight picture.

That being said, I think they're a good option for medium range hunting optic. I would take one hiking or camping. I just wouldn't personally use one when quick, short engagements are probable. I saw all the tacticool guys and competition shooters using them so I figured I'd give one (actually 2) a shot and that's my personal opinion.
    Last edited by ready; 09-16-2014 at 05:27 PM.

The problem is they're not parallax free so they're sensitive to head movement which isn't good in a dynamic environment. You're not always going to have the ability or the time to get directly behind the rifle with proper eye relief to establish a good sight picture.

That being said, I think they're a good option for medium range hunting optic. I would take one hiking or camping. I just wouldn't personally use one when quick, short engagements are probable. I saw all the tacticool guys and competition shooters using them so I figured I'd give one (actually 2) a shot and that's my personal opinion.
    I see. That is a big difference.