Thread: Nine-year-old girl accidentally shoots her gun instructor

Nine-year-old girl accidentally shoots her gun instructor

Damn!! I would never let a small girl shoot full auto, just because of this.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...sit-range.html

Team GunsNet Silver 02/2014

I have seen adults fail to release the trigger while on FA and freak out on muzzle control.....doesn't have to be a kid! Sad...
    Dan

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

Same identical thing happened just a few years ago except it was a boy around that age, shooting an Uzi. I think it was his old man he killed. Pretty effing stupid imo, letting a child that small handle a FA weapon.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mrkalashnikov View Post
    Same identical thing happened just a few years ago except it was a boy around that age, shooting an Uzi. I think it was his old man he killed. Pretty effing stupid imo, letting a child that small handle a FA weapon.
    It was actually the boy shooting the gun that was killed.

I have no fully automatic weapons only semi-autos. When I let someone shoot them and I have any question about how they will handle the recoil I only load one round in the weapon. After I know they can handle that I will let them load more than one round in the mag. It would just seem common sense to do something like this when you are letting a child shoot a weapon.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post

I have no fully automatic weapons only semi-autos. When I let someone shoot them and I have any question about how they will handle the recoil I only load one round in the weapon. After I know they can handle that I will let them load more than one round in the mag. It would just seem common sense to do something like this when you are letting a child shoot a weapon.
    I stand corrected. And you're right, common sense would preclude something like that but apparently it's in short supply.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    Damn!! I would never let a small girl shoot full auto, just because of this.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...sit-range.html
    If you don't know what to expect, the instinct is to hang on tighter when the weapon starts to climb, which of course keeps the trigger depressed. Plus, it pushes you and you can trip over backwards if you don't expect it.

First time I ever fired a full auto rifle, I was given "instruction" (which I thought was not necessary - I was WRONG).

I was told about the muzzle climb and to expect the rifle to push me backwards. Initially I was given only 3 rounds in the mag. No problem.

Then the guy put in 5 rounds and let me try again. When he was satisfied that I could control it, he gave me a full 30 round stick (it was a 9mm M-16).

That Uzi is smaller and lighter than the M-16, and doesn't have good places to hold on to compared to the M-16. I can see how it got away from her.

I blame the instructor for not first starting her with a few rounds and working up to a full mag.

Whenever I know of someone who buys a "new" SKS or AKM, I tell them to be sure that the firing pin floats freely and isn't stuck, THEN tell them to start out with 2 rounds, then 3, then maybe 3 again just to be absolutely sure the rifle doesn't "take off".

I heard of a guy who got killed by his "new" SKS. He took it to the range, loaded 10 rounds and pulled the trigger. The rifle ran away, rotated muzzle up around his grip and the last round got him in the forehead. Dead instantly.

A simple 2 minute test could prevent all this.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post

Yep.

In one of Hickok45's radio shows, he explains that his UZI smg was the first centerfire that his son fired. Hickok would have him fire semi-auto only, and when he wanted to fire a full auto burst he would only load up to six rounds in the magazine so as to prevent it from getting out of control.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    See my reply here. http://www.gunsnet.net/showthread.ph...uctor-with-UZI

Instructor was out of position when she pulled the trigger. Regardless, he should have made sure her finger was away from the trigger when he slid the switch from semi to full auto.

WOW, yea, that has no business in a 9 year olds hands. Who ever thought she should try it is guilty of negligent homicide.

I have only shot a full auto Uzi once and my memory is that it had a lot of muzzle climb and was hard to keep on target. Certainly not a gun for a 9 year old.

I saw this story and thought it was a perfect parallel;
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/08/30...me-test-drive/
    Are people clamoring to ban high powered cars? Same situation, someone makes an irresponsible decision and puts a child in control of something beyond their level of maturity and someone dies, only in this case it was the child.

The full size uzi's are a lot slower. More like a typewriter.

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Family files suit over gun instructor's killing at Arizona range

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-ar...-idUSKCN10Y02N

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

So the instructor that was hired to make sure the girl was using the firearm safely gave her the gun and then was shot because she was not ready and it is the owner's fault? I know it is a heartless thing to say but I think the person responsible has already paid for this. It is unfortunate that his family now has to pay as well, but the only liability the range has is in hiring the guy that didn't do his job.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

We used to have machinegun shoots here in Princeton where many SOT's would show up and rent out their MG's. The SOT I bought my AR18 from would stand slightly to the side behind even me, who wasn't a lightweight back then with one hand firmly on my shoulder and his free hand ready to grab/push the rifle back down if you didn't know what you were doing. Unfortunate things happen in life. A couple guys got killed in a WWII tank when they had a misfire and apparently opened the breech....... Sad. Pretty sad the family suing the range like Ltorlo64 said.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    Pretty sad the family suing the range like Ltorlo64 said.
    That is because they are like many people nowadays that are incapable or unwilling to take responsibility for their actions - or those of a relative. They don't want to admit that they (or the relative) is fallible.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”