Thread: Nine year old girl accidentally kills instructor with UZI

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Post Nine year old girl accidentally kills instructor with UZI

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/08/27...cmp=latestnews

Might be a good idea to tether full autos especially if your going to instruct a child.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Many readers expressed sympathy for the girl while questioning whether the adults at the gun range were to blame.
    It ain't the gun's fault. Of course the adults are to blame. That was just fucking stupid, and now a girl is scarred for life.

Team GunsNet Gold 03/2014

Have not instructed on full auto, but any newbie, older kids and adults included, I always stand behind and slightly to the right or left as indicated by their strong hand, so I could reach in and grab the forearm or wrist in case of any mishap, malfunction or mishandling of the weapon in use.
    This position is not intrusive to the student, but it is a safety factor for others, as I have had to reach in to secure the firearm being used a couple of times.
    I am a bit taller than average, but at my prime, 6'2" is not a giant.
    I cannot conceive of a nine year old being given a fully automatic weapon without the instructor being able to take control at any point in the exercise.
    Just my

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Just watched the video courtesy of a local TV station. It appears the instructor had the selector on semi auto first, she took one shot, then he reached in from her left, while standing along side the firearm and not behind, and moved the selector to full auto. His head was still leaning into the Uzi when she pulled the trigger almost immediately after him changing the selector, and lost control also immediately.

He should have been behind her and made sure her finger was no where near the trigger until after he was again safely behind her.

From the looks and sound of it, the Uzi was a mini uzi? If so. Much faster than a full sized one. I have let my 12 year old shoot my full size. But only under close supervision. Plus I started with only a few rounds in the magazine to start with before I let him do a full mag dump. I would never have done what this guy had done. Plus my son is a pretty sizeable boy. Much more capable than the girl in the video. Suck for sure. I feel sorry for everyone involved.

Quote Originally Posted by El Duce View Post
    From the looks and sound of it, the Uzi was a mini uzi? If so. Much faster than a full sized one. I have let my 12 year old shoot my full size. But only under close supervision. Plus I started with only a few rounds in the magazine to start with before I let him do a full mag dump. I would never have done what this guy had done. Plus my son is a pretty sizeable boy. Much more capable than the girl in the video. Suck for sure. I feel sorry for everyone involved.

Mini Uzi's are kinda ridiculous. I had a Class III friend who had a mini Uzi and that sucker dumped 30 round magazines in one second. I swear it sounded like it was faster than an MG42. And being so short and small I can see it getting away from you. I wonder, why this instructor wasn't more cautious being that anyone who has shot any SMG with a really super HIGH rate of fire can anticipate it getting away from a small woman, a child, or LAGC?

Quote Originally Posted by tank_monkey View Post
    Mini Uzi's are kinda ridiculous. I had a Class III friend who had a mini Uzi and that sucker dumped 30 round magazines in one second. I swear it sounded like it was faster than an MG42. And being so short and small I can see it getting away from you. I wonder, why this instructor wasn't more cautious being that anyone who has shot any SMG with a really super HIGH rate of fire can anticipate it getting away from a small woman, a child, or LAGC?
    I wont even let my son shoot the M11 with the stock upper on it. Way too fast. He does great with the Lage upper on it. The first SMG I let him shoot was my MP40. Slow and very controllable. What this person did was very irresponsible.

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Re: Nine year old girl accidentally kills instructor with UZI

And the gun rights debate takes another blow. Because of a couple of idiots.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/08/27...cmp=latestnews

Might be a good idea to tether full autos especially if your going to instruct a child.
    More like you should be smart enough not to hand a full auto subgun to a 9 year old girl! The father, the gun range / store and the instructor were all idiots. It is a GIRL that is 9 years old. Hello, strength as in not much!!!!!!!!!

Also, a Mini-Uzi, makes the instructor 4 times more stupid. The Mini shoots 5 rounds from just flicking the trigger as fast as you can flick your finger. 1200+ rounds / minute fire rate and not that heavy. I've shot one and it was challenging to keep it on a B8 silhouette target's chest area at 15 yards.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 08-27-2014 at 06:06 PM.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    More like you should be smart enough not to hand a full auto subgun to a 9 year old girl! The father, the gun range / store and the instructor were all idiots. It is a GIRL that is 9 years old. Hello, strength as in not much!!!!!!!!!

Also, a Mini-Uzi, makes the instructor 4 times more stupid. The Mini shoots 5 rounds from just flicking the trigger as fast as you can flick your finger. 1200+ rounds / minute fire rate and not that heavy. I've shot one and it was challenging to keep it on a B8 silhouette target's chest area at 15 yards.
    Unless the father was a gun aficionado, the blame should be put on the instructor. Most people have no experience with full auto at all, much less something like a mini-Uzi or similar SMG.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

Damn......just damn!

Why???

What exactly is the point of letting a 9 year old girl "try" to shoot an SMG???

May sound hard but thank goodness it was the idiot instructor and not the little girl that paid the price.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by weevil View Post
    Damn......just damn!

Why???

What exactly is the point of letting a 9 year old girl "try" to shoot an SMG???

May sound hard but thank goodness it was the idiot instructor and not the little girl that paid the price.
    I agree. I pity that little girl who will carry that image with her for the rest of her life.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    Unless the father was a gun aficionado, the blame should be put on the instructor. Most people have no experience with full auto at all, much less something like a mini-Uzi or similar SMG.
    The instructor got lots of blame ...................... all in 9 mm.

Shooting full auto is a lot of fun. So is sex and alcohol, a 9 year old has no business doing any of these

So sad and tragic on all accounts.
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!