Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Get rid of assault weapons

Get rid of assault weapons

Editor's note: Jay Parini, a poet and novelist, teaches at Middlebury College in Vermont. He has just published "Jesus: The Human Face of God," a biography of Jesus. Follow him on Twitter@JayParini. The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of the author.

(CNN) -- The gun outrages continue, the latest the shooting of a gun instructor in Arizona by a 9-year-old girl who was taken to the range by her parents so she could shoot an Uzi, an Israeli-made submachine gun.

The question that the whole world asks is this: Why was a 9-year-old girl allowed even to try to shoot a submachine gun?

I have a further question: Why does anybody not on the front lines of the military in a war zone need to have access to a submachine gun?

It's not as though we haven't had plenty of evidence that this gun thing in America isn't working. Since the ghastly massacre of elementary school children at Sandy Hook on December 14, 2012, by a deranged teenager, as of June there were at least 74 school shootings, on school grounds or in schools themselves. It's commonplace in this country now: A deranged shooter appears, armed to the teeth, out of his mind. Everyone ducks or runs for cover. The shooter proceeds calmly through the building, taking out innocents.

What kind of country have we become? Was this what the Founding Fathers had in mind?
    http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/28/opinio...Top+Stories%29

More exploitation of childen in the war against the constitution.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2011 Sherman's Avatar

Jay Parini (born April 2, 1948) is an American writer and academic. He is known for novels and poetry, biography and criticism. Having published novels about Leo Tolstoy, Walter Benjamin, and Herman Melville, Jay Parini is regarded as one of the leading practitioners and innovators in the genre of biographical fiction.[1]

I am not surprised CNN has this guy on their staff. Another poetic liberal loon academic. Sad thing is he teaches at a college. Indoctrination anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by 5.56NATO View Post
    More exploitation of childen in the war against the constitution.
    I corrected the lunatic Jay Parini's text to more accurately reflect reality...

It's not as though we haven't had plenty of evidence that ["gun free school zones"] in America isn't working. Since the ["hoax"] at Sandy Hook on December 14, 2012, by a deranged ["government"], as of June there were at least 74 school shootings ["many of which were SELF DEFENSE shootings of the attacker(s) who were armed with knives or guns"], on ["gun free victim zones"] or in ["gun free victim zones"] themselves. It's commonplace in this country now: A deranged shooter appears, armed to the teeth, out of his mind. Everyone ducks or runs for cover. The shooter proceeds calmly through the ["gun free victim zone"], taking out innocents ["because there's nobody armed to stop them"]
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman View Post
    Jay Parini (born April 2, 1948) is an American writer and academic. He is known for novels and poetry, biography and criticism. Having published novels about Leo Tolstoy, Walter Benjamin, and Herman Melville, Jay Parini is regarded as one of the leading practitioners and innovators in the genre of biographical fiction.[1]

I am not surprised CNN has this guy on their staff. Another poetic liberal loon academic. Sad thing is he teaches at a college. Indoctrination anyone?
    I wonder what Nancy thinks about automobiles?
    Returns June 3rd.

Why does the author have access to a keyboard? He questions the very tool that made the free expression of his ideas possible. Typical liberal douche bag.
    Face your fear, accept your war.

Quote Originally Posted by TEN-32 View Post
    Why does the author have access to a keyboard? He questions the very tool that made the free expression of his ideas possible. Typical liberal douche bag.
    Since the Constitution and Bill of Rights was written so long ago, the author should be restricted to using hand placed type and a mechanical printing press to write his drivel.

After all, the founding fathers could never have envisioned high capacity printers, electronic communications and the Internet.....

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    Since the Constitution and Bill of Rights was written so long ago, the author should be restricted to using hand placed type and a mechanical printing press to write his drivel.

After all, the founding fathers could never have envisioned high capacity printers, electronic communications and the Internet.....
    Nice.
    Face your fear, accept your war.

In police states all who spout the party line are encouraged to do so, so if they can get rid of the constitution their voice becomes the only one to be heard.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Yes, think of the children!

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

Just another thumb sucking bed-wetter. Otherwise known as a Democrat.
    Returns June 3rd.

The question that the whole world asks is this: Why was a 9-year-old girl allowed even to try to shoot a submachine gun?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...onged-war.html
    Young children were seen brandishing weapons as fighters of Al-Quds brigades, the military wing of the Palestinian Islamist organisation Palestinian Islamic Jihad, marched in the streets.

What world is she living in?
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Full Otto View Post

What world is she living in?
    A world of shit.

Hopefully our children will get to have fun with firearms, and never have to brandish them in anger like this little girl.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

I wonder if she's one of those Minnesota girl scouts
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

Saw this potato level derp earlier today. You know it’s going to be stupid when in the beginning he calls the twenty year old demonic at SH a teenager. If you could keep reading after that, you found the same old song and dance the anti-freedom people have been spewing since before I was born.

First he gets stupidly hung up on the preamble, in particular the “well regulated militia” part. He is too full of himself to realize that regulated back then meant something more akin to well working/prepared, and had nothing to do with draconian overhead from the .gov bunch.

He also failed to see that a preamble holds no power over the active part of the text. The way the SA should be read from a legal standpoint is “The right of the people to keep and bare arms shall not be infringed.”

lastly he tries to bring in race just to insure he is a total tool.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Careful, there are idiots out there using this exact argument to try to restrict freedom of speech and to require government licensing of journalists, not to mention the use against the Second Amendment.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

(CNN)as of June there were at least 74 school shootings, on school grounds or in schools themselves.
    This has been shown to be more than an exaggeration, it is an outright lie and yet CNN still lets this guy throw this number out as if it were fact. No wonder CNN and MSNBC are fighting for last place in viewership.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    I used to tell people that if I showed up at work with a firearm, not to worry as I was just showing it off, but if I arrived with a baseball bat, my assault weapon of choice, just hope you are on my good side.

Virtually everything we own can be used to assault someone, making that inanimate object an assault weapon. Just because a rifle goes bang doesn't make it an assault weapon, but try to tell that to these elitist minds.

And the girl in that photo, the AKM she is holding, interesting Norinco 56-1, especially the axis pins.

I like to wear an assault pair of steel toed boots.

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

I prefer my "assault" pointy toed cowboy boots

In police states all who spout the party line are encouraged to do so, so if they can get rid of the constitution their voice becomes the only one to be heard.
    Dr. Josef Goebbels would be proud.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast