Thread: Some new input on the debate of using steel ammo in an AR.

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 NewbieAKguy's Avatar

Some new input on the debate of using steel ammo in an AR.

I thought it was very interesting to say the least. This video combined with MAC's and Lucky Gunner Ammo's has helped calm any fear, miniscule as it/they were (for me anyways), using mostly steel cased ammo....IMO it's the bi-metal bullet to worry about regarding barrel life. Again, just my .02 cents.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...-harder-brass/

"The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time; the hand of force may destroy, but cannot disjoin them. ... Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever."--Thomas Jefferson

Interesting. Never would have thought the steel and brass would be that close in hardness.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    The only problems I have had with steel cased rounds in .223 is the current polymer coated ones. Never had problems with the lacquer coated rounds.

Polymer rounds like to glue themselves in the chamber, so I bring a 20 inch steel cleaning rod with me to knock the empties out as I use up my junk ammo. Some are in there pretty good. And the problem is not only in my ARs but my SAR-3 and 84S-1 as well.

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 NewbieAKguy's Avatar

Valid point regarding the polymer aknut. I wonder if anyone has done a heat test or something on the polymer and/or lacquer coatings on some steel cased ammo to validate that. I should have been more specific in that the video is in regard to people claiming that the steel cased ammo itself will damage the harder steel used in bolts, bcg's, extractors, etc......as long as the parts aren't up to spec (hardness) that is.

I've only had one wolf (not sure which line > the black or gray box) case get stuck out of the hundreds I've shot through my basic dpms m4gery.....the extractor pulled a chunk off the rim. Took one light tap at home to get it out.....hence my decision to also take a rod with me to the range when shooting it in the future, lol.
    "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time; the hand of force may destroy, but cannot disjoin them. ... Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever."--Thomas Jefferson

I've shot thousands of rounds of steel case through a 16" AR with the carbine length gas system with no problems. I've also had a brass case get stuck in a 20" AR with a rifle length gas system.