Thread: Planning to drive cross-country... what can I bring in the vehicle for a firearm?

Planning to drive cross-country... what can I bring in the vehicle for a firearm?

My home state, VT, requires no permit to carry concealed. My most traveled neighboring state, NH, was kind enough to grant me a CCW permit with only a kind letter from my local LEO stating I'm not a known criminal. I'm pretty much accustomed to being able to carry a loaded weapon wherever I want with impunity (federal buildings etc excluded).

But now I plan to drive cross-country. Much as I dislike CA, it may even be on the list. What can I bring in my vehicle that would be legally compliant across all state lines? How must it be stored?

I know an enlisted fellow who got jailtime because he got stopped in NJ, and forgot to change out the hollow points in his (licensed) carry piece. I'd like not to make any similar omissions. Yet, even if only a lever-action rifle packed in back, I'd feel more prepared than with nothing.

I hate to say it.....but nothing.

My wife and I just got home from our road trip, and I looked into it before we left......

In the immortal words of Goose...

"This is not good"!
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

I thought, surely, I could have something unloaded and secured out of reach, and be legally compliant. You found this is not the case?

so you have a ccw from NH now you need to know who honors it and then those who do not.
    then you need to know all the gun laws of the states you are going to and through.
    all may be different as to how the firearm may be stored and where and how.
    this is a start........

http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_ca...city_maps.html

http://www.handgunlaw.us/
    Last edited by l921428x; 09-01-2014 at 11:53 PM.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2014 Hatedbysheeple's Avatar

For a semi I think the 1911 with fmj ball ammo, single stack 7 round mags should cover almost every state and the ball should not offend anyone, the marines seem to be making fine use of it again.

Or you can go revolver with semi wad cutter or ball, a .38 or .357 with a 5 or 6 round capacity should also be clear.

The storage is the real booger, I would get a small lock box, it can be kept in the back out of reach when required.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyGoat View Post
    I thought, surely, I could have something unloaded and secured out of reach, and be legally compliant. You found this is not the case?

Yes...ten times over....my wife found out the hard way why I did not want to take her vehicle out of state in the first place last weekend....we were deliberately ran off the road because of our MI licenses plate...too many times
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyGoat View Post
    Locked up and unloaded is next to 100% useless. Some links to do research with.

http://www.ccwbystate.com/ccw-reciprocity-map/
    https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/travel/
    http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_ca...city_maps.html

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 TakeFive's Avatar

I can speak to this somewhat. CA is a non-reciprocal state, so concealed carry is out. You may cross other states where this is also true. Federal law allows you to transport, unloaded in a locked case, from anywhere it legal to posess that firearm to any other place it is also legal to posess that firearm. I have heard that the feds also require ammo to be in a separately locked case, but others have expressed different opinions. The airlines require ammo to be in the same case as the firearm, last time I checked. I would err on the side of everything locked separately. In the intervening states, it would be wise to keep everything locked. Legally the trunk of your car is a locked case, but what do you do if you want the stuff in your hotel room for the night instead of the trunk? I have taken a few road trips with both guns and ammo from here to Colorado and have had no problems, but no one knew I had the stuff either. Be careful, and watch out if you are bringing an evil black rifle to califonia, the laws are absurd.
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, in practice, there is.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

MD does not honor any CCW's and it's almost impossible to get one from MD even if you are a MD citizen. As far as transporting through the state, as long as it's unloaded (unloaded means no ammo in the mag, either), locked in a carry case, and out of reach of the driver, you should be okay.

The best thing to do is avoid the this state.
    The 2nd best thing to do is not get pulled over by the cops when traveling through this state.

p.s. IF you do travel through this state, and get pulled over for a traffic violation, be polite, and you will avoid 99.9% of all problems.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars