Thread: Just Signed My Wife and Daughter Up for Handgun Class

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Just Signed My Wife and Daughter Up for Handgun Class

For my daughter's birthday my wife and I gave our daughter a beginning handgun class at the NRA range. My wife was unusually supportive, especially since she is not to excited about the guns I own. Just before I signed my daughter up though, my wife tells asks if she took the course, could she use a .22 pistol. I told her yes and she asked me to sign her up. Then my wife tells me that I may have to buy her a pistol of her own. Like I am going to argue about that!
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

The Walther P22's are not very robust compared to other .22 handguns. A lot of reports of them breaking if you put a lot of rounds through them. Take a look at the Ruger .22/56 Lite. Slim frame design of the 1911 Colt hollowed out area that looks like a bull barrel that ends in a threaded muzzle nut. Works fine for screw on .22 LR suppressors.

Quote Originally Posted by 308 View Post
    I agree they are not as robust as others, and because of that assumption I bought a Sig Mosquito....AFAI'm, concerned, it's an inaccurate POS. Looks cool though. I really like the Ruger .22/45 Lite, but haven't had the opportunity to shoot one so far.
    Yep the Sig (I have one) turns out to be a Umarex POS. Feels good in the hand, looks good, not accurate, very fussy on ammo. Mine sits in the vault and someday I'm going to work on it to try and at least get it functional over a wide range of ammo. Can't do much for the accuracy probably. The .22/45 LITE I did a review of when I got mine back in Nov. last year (2013). It operates with a wide variety of ammo. Reasonably good accuracy, it isn't a match pistol but it is tons better than the Mosquito. Suppresses easily given the factory threaded barrel.

I have a Mosquito, which is what my wife will use for the class. My daughter will use a CZ 82. I will probably get my wife a Browning or a revovler, like a Ruger. I have had .22/45, and while it was accurate it was very difficult to maintain. Don't think I will do that again.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

NRA Endowment Member

A little buckmark or ruger .22 would work. Mine have been super reliable.

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

My Rugers are nice rugged, accurate pistols, but you have to hold your tongue just right and squint your left eye when taking them apart .

Have you looked at a Beretta Neos U22, mine is pretty accurate and easier to work on than the Rugers.

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

Now THAT has to make for a damn good day!
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

Quote Originally Posted by davepool View Post
    My Rugers are nice rugged, accurate pistols, but you have to hold your tongue just right and squint your left eye when taking them apart .
    It's the putting them back together that sucks.

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

Yeah, i've found that hosing them down with Hoppes and blowing them out with the compressor works just as well as full dis-assembly....and i don't bite my tongue as much

True dat. I take the grips off so they don't melt and brake-kleen that shit.

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 NewbieAKguy's Avatar

Well done sir!
    "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time; the hand of force may destroy, but cannot disjoin them. ... Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever."--Thomas Jefferson

Anything made by Umarex sucks ass PERIOD

Have you looked at the Ruger SR22 ?
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

Excellent! My wife got her IL carry license a couple months ago. Now she wants a purple Ruger! The humanity....
    Face your fear, accept your war.

Quote Originally Posted by TEN-32 View Post
    Excellent! My wife got her IL carry license a couple months ago. Now she wants a purple Ruger! The humanity....
    Well look on the bright side. At least its not Pink.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Well look on the bright side. At least its not Pink.
    Sssssshhhhh, not so loud! Don't give her ideas. Pink for dress occasions and purple for every day carry. LOL.
    Face your fear, accept your war.

Sssssshhhhh, not so loud! Don't give her ideas. Pink for dress occasions and purple for every day carry. LOL.
    That is too funny. My wife would be all into a pink gun. My daughter, on the other hand, no pink for her. She doesn't like the color, at least not on guns.

NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by davepool View Post

Have you looked at a Beretta Neos U22, mine is pretty accurate and easier to work on than the Rugers.
    I have looked at the Neos, but never held one. I thought they looked too much like a science fiction gun. I have read good things about them though and have been having thinking one may not be a bad option.

NRA Endowment Member

That is too cool. My daughter wants a CCL. Maybe this will get my wife in the mood for one as well!

NRA Endowment Member