Thread: What do you think?

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Question What do you think?

Found this photo for an estate sale. The top rifle is obviously an M91 but with the sling hangers I'm thinking it might be a Finn M91. The stock looks more Russian then Finn to my eye. Can't see a step in the barrel so I'm pretty sure it's not an M24. What do you all think? Also, say it's a Finn M91 in decent shape with a good bore what is the going rate on one? TIA

Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Maybe a Finn capture, hard to tell from the pic.
    From what I see on facebook, true Finn's are going for $350 to $450. Captures are around $250.

Quote Originally Posted by Adog View Post
    Maybe a Finn capture, hard to tell from the pic.
    From what I see on facebook, true Finn's are going for $350 to $450. Captures are around $250.
    Yeah, I was thinking a Finn capture since it doesn't appear to have a Finnish fingerjoint stock then again since Finland never made any receivers I guess they are all Finn captures in a way. I had several Finn stocked 91's a couple Russians at one time but over the years they all went to other owners. I may check this one out and add another one back into the collection. From the photo it looks pretty much intact and isn't missing the cleaning rod so unless the bore is toast from abuse or lack or proper cleaning it might be a good one. Won't know for a few weeks as the estate sale is later this month. Thanks for the reply.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

No prob, good luck at the auction. Those are some neat old shotguns too, looks like a Browning A5 with an adjustable choke and a really old double barrel with the exposed hammers.

Quote Originally Posted by Adog View Post
    No prob, good luck at the auction. Those are some neat old shotguns too, looks like a Browning A5 with an adjustable choke and a really old double barrel with the exposed hammers.
    Yeah that old Browning caught my eye. I did not know what the muzzle device was. Receiver looks pretty rough and I can't tell if its a 12 or 16 ga.
    Face your fear, accept your war.

Quote Originally Posted by TEN-32 View Post
    Yeah that old Browning caught my eye. I did not know what the muzzle device was. Receiver looks pretty rough and I can't tell if its a 12 or 16 ga.

IIRC the Browning Sweet 16 had the rounded pistol grip. I'm thinking that one is a 12ga.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I magnified the Mosin as much as I could, it gets very fuzzy. There seems to be a round marking in the middle of the buttstock. Can't tell squat other than it is a Russian stock, not Finnish in nature. It will be interesting to hear what it is if you go to the auction.

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

Much more interested in that sweet Browning!
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    I magnified the Mosin as much as I could, it gets very fuzzy. There seems to be a round marking in the middle of the buttstock. Can't tell squat other than it is a Russian stock, not Finnish in nature. It will be interesting to hear what it is if you go to the auction.
    Yeah, enlarging the photo is worthless. I recall having a Finn M91 at one time that had a fingerjoint stock but it didn't have the potbelly profile of the usual Finn stock. The one in the photo does kind of look like it might have some figure in it. If I make it to the auction I'll try to get some pics even if I don't win the rifle.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

I did find out that the Mosin Nagant is listed as a 1917 Remington.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Guns Network Contributor 03/2015 jakebrake's Avatar

that looks like a Russian stock.

if the action is finnish, it's not worth a buttload with the non-matching stock.

but, keep us posted...that is interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by jakebrake View Post
    that looks like a Russian stock.

if the action is finnish, it's not worth a buttload with the non-matching stock.

but, keep us posted...that is interesting.
    Agreed. The only thing that makes me think it could be a Finn capture is the sling hangers. Since they are calling it a 1917 Remington I shouldn't be a Finn receiver but could be SA marked. I hope to make the auction this weekend.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Figured I'd better update this. The estate auction on Saturday was canceled due to rain and I had family obligations for Sunday which was the reschedule date in case of rain so I never got to see the rifle.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

If it is a Remington it would have a Russian pattern stock on it. The Czar's military ordered a batch of them before the Russian Revolution went down. Not all if I recall were delivered to Russia. That would be a very desirable Mosin Nagant to get if it is still for sale. I missed getting one in VG+ condition in 1998 before I really knew what Mosin's were all about. Just hope the barrel isn't a rusted out sewer pipe, which was the condition of the bore on the 2nd Remington 1891 Mosin I ran into a couple years later. It was the typical situation of a Bubba bought cheap, got some surplus ammo and then didn't clean it.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    If it is a Remington it would have a Russian pattern stock on it. The Czar's military ordered a batch of them before the Russian Revolution went down. Not all if I recall were delivered to Russia. That would be a very desirable Mosin Nagant to get if it is still for sale. I missed getting one in VG+ condition in 1998 before I really knew what Mosin's were all about. Just hope the barrel isn't a rusted out sewer pipe, which was the condition of the bore on the 2nd Remington 1891 Mosin I ran into a couple years later. It was the typical situation of a Bubba bought cheap, got some surplus ammo and then didn't clean it.
    I met a bubba who had one of these rifles handed down to him through his family, from his grandfather who was in the Navy during WWI and went to Russia to assist with something, so they had US made Mosins issued to them. The smart guy had it totally bubba'd with a synthetic stock, duracoat finish, drilled and tapped for a scope mount, turned down bolt handle, and threaded for a .308 suppressor.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Guns Network Contributor 03/2015 jakebrake's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    I met a bubba who had one of these rifles handed down to him through his family, from his grandfather who was in the Navy during WWI and went to Russia to assist with something, so they had US made Mosins issued to them. The smart guy had it totally bubba'd with a synthetic stock, duracoat finish, drilled and tapped for a scope mount, turned down bolt handle, and threaded for a .308 suppressor.
    I just threw up a little.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Funny how the first thing that caught my eye was that Browning!