Thread: U.S. Military Reserve Weapons Depots

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Question U.S. Military Reserve Weapons Depots

Was watching a show the other day that was filmed at some Army/Military museum. IIRC it was in GA. Anyway the curator was showing the film crew some pretty neat stuff like M3A1 grease guns still new in wrap with mags and I think they even had 9mm conversion kits. They had drawers and crates full of stuff for display, reference material, etc. It got me to wondering what older arms our military might still have stockpiled? I know over the years a lot of the old Garands, M1917, M1093, etc, firearms have been sold off or given to the DCM/CMP so I doubt there are many WWII firearms in storage. I would imagine the same goes for M1 carbines, 1911's BARs etc except for maybe a few museums like the one on the TV show. Pretty sure that except for the Navy most of the M14's had been placed in storage or destroyed until the latest war in Iraq and Afghanistan when they dusted them off and either re-issued or modernized and re-issued them.

Do you think they might have a hoard of M79's, M16/M16A1's, M60's etc., tucked away? I could see a lot of Vietnam era small arms being held in some kind of reserve stockpile but most of the older stuff has to be gone by now. Thoughts?
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Not sure about a storage facility, but I have an idea that the larger movie companies have tons of "converted to fire blanks" cast-offs from the military. I've seen pics of MGM's (I think it was theirs) firearms warehouse and it was beyond huge. They could fill many museums with their stockpiles of firearms representing guns from the first firearms up to the present. And that was just one movie studio.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

As far as movie props I believe there is a company called Stenbridge or something like that and they had the largest inventory of NFA weapons on the U.S. if not the world, at least in private hand not military. There was an article about the FG42 rifle in one of my gun mags the other day and I believe they stated that they went to this company to research the article as they had 3-4 FG42's in their inventory but at maybe $100,000 or so apiece in value they could only examine them and not actually fire them.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

I know a lot of police departments have G.I. M16's. Hell a friend of mine is a cop in a small town here in Central Ohio, and Uncle Sam issued them an M16A1. This is a very small nowhere town that really has no foreseeable need for that kind of gun, but the officers take it in turns to fuck off at the range with it (with their personal ammo). And when I have some ammo to piss away I've been invited to go with him to have a little full auto fun one of these days. Soon...
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

Among all the discussion about the militarization of the police was the information that among the firearms the government has been giving the police are M14 rifles, .45 automatics, and 9mm pistols, which I assume are M9 Beretta's.

So, it looks like the M14 and .45 are still around in quantities large enough they can not only refurbish and re-issue them to the military they can also give them away to police departments.

Quote Originally Posted by dfariswheel View Post
    Among all the discussion about the militarization of the police was the information that among the firearms the government has been giving the police are M14 rifles, .45 automatics, and 9mm pistols, which I assume are M9 Beretta's.

So, it looks like the M14 and .45 are still around in quantities large enough they can not only refurbish and re-issue them to the military they can also give them away to police departments.
    Interesting. Didn't know about the M14's. When I was in the Navy we were the only service still using them as far as I know. Everyone else had pretty much transitioned to the M16 and 5.56. Not sure if the Navy is still using them or not?

P.S. Nice to see you posting again. I always enjoy and appreciate your insight both here and on the Colt Forums.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    Interesting. Didn't know about the M14's. When I was in the Navy we were the only service still using them as far as I know. Everyone else had pretty much transitioned to the M16 and 5.56. Not sure if the Navy is still using them or not?

P.S. Nice to see you posting again. I always enjoy and appreciate your insight both here and on the Colt Forums.
    The Navy boys out of Norfolk were still sporting M14s on my 2007 deployment while I was in the 26th Marine Expeditionary Unit.

No doubt about there being reserves of older weapons. There is, probably, many a National Guard post with a corner in the armory full of M16A1s and such. Probably nowhere near the extent of what the Russians kept in reserve with their Mosins and SKS carbines, though.
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

I highly doubt there are any stockpiles anywhere.

The government has been hell bent to give stuff away or destroy 'em over the last 25 years or so.

Hell, I doubt we even have a "reserve" in case the draft was ever reinstated.
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

Quote Originally Posted by skorpion View Post
    The Navy boys out of Norfolk were still sporting M14s on my 2007 deployment while I was in the 26th Marine Expeditionary Unit.

No doubt about there being reserves of older weapons. There is, probably, many a National Guard post with a corner in the armory full of M16A1s and such. Probably nowhere near the extent of what the Russians kept in reserve with their Mosins and SKS carbines, though.
    On my last deployment in 1986 we were still using the M14, M79, M1911A1, M60 and of course the M2HB.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Stembridge was sold and their whole inventory was liquidated back in the late 90's

Hollyweird has no "armories" anymore. Which is why they film a lot of small arm intensive movies overseas.
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

I haven't seen any M14s on a ship in years. When I was on my first submarine I qualified on the 1911, 870, and M14. In the 90s they started transitioning to M16s and M9s. I believe each surface ship has a couple of M14s. The reason for them is shooting the shot line from one ship to another during underway replenishment and when entering port. Haven't seen them used for anything else in a very long time.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    I haven't seen any M14s on a ship in years. When I was on my first submarine I qualified on the 1911, 870, and M14. In the 90s they started transitioning to M16s and M9s. I believe each surface ship has a couple of M14s. The reason for them is shooting the shot line from one ship to another during underway replenishment and when entering port. Haven't seen them used for anything else in a very long time.
    They used them for shooting the lines, and the fellows on watch stood their posts with them.

They used them for shooting the lines, and the fellows on watch stood their posts with them.
    Not discounting what you saw, I just haven't seen it in a while. Not sure when I stopped seeing the M14s used for anything but shot lines, but nothing prevents them from being used for guard duty, they are still fully functioning weapons.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

NRA Endowment Member

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2014 Hatedbysheeple's Avatar

We still use m14's, they have machined aluminum stocks with collapsing stocks and pistol grip, we call them EBR's. The scar17's are supposed to replace them but not a lot of guys want all that plastic.

Isn't there a butt-load of M1's and M-14's in S Korea still? The ones Obama won't allow to be re-patriated..

Quote Originally Posted by WOD View Post
    Isn't there a butt-load of M1's and M-14's in S Korea still? The ones Obama won't allow to be re-patriated..
    Not sure about M14s, but the answer is yes to Garands and Carbines. Wouldn't want the gangs to get their hands on those weapons, it would be WWII all over again.

NRA Endowment Member

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Partisan1983 View Post
    Stembridge was sold and their whole inventory was liquidated back in the late 90's

Hollyweird has no "armories" anymore. Which is why they film a lot of small arm intensive movies overseas.
    Yep this is 100% correct. Commiefornias personal assault weapon and magazine ban that was passed to start in 2000 is why. They just folded up shop, sold all the weapons and shut down.

On where films are made, Canada gets a lot of film action now due to that. Reference Falling Skies and Defiance, two science fiction programs dealing with post alien invasions. Also Georgia has picked up a lot of movie industry work. Reference The Walking Dead filmed here in Georgia, we are an NFA friendly state.

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 Hobe Sound AK's Avatar

You all forgot about the Depot right next to Ft. McClelland, Alabama! The home of the M.P. Anniston Army Depot. They were even on a History Channel Special. The Guy opened up a Box with a still new Unissued B.A.R. in it. I am sure there are more like the Anniston Army Depot. When My Dad was the Band Master at Ft. Hood in 1966, the Commanding General wanted a Half Track that would Run. He asked his Officers at the Staff Meeting. My Dad told him he saw row's of them at Anniston, The General wanted The Larger M-3. They got one from A.A.D. and got it to Running. The General used it for his Parade Vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobe Sound AK View Post
    You all forgot about the Depot right next to Ft. McClelland, Alabama! The home of the M.P. Anniston Army Depot. They were even on a History Channel Special. The Guy opened up a Box with a still new Unissued B.A.R. in it. I am sure there are more like the Anniston Army Depot. When My Dad was the Band Master at Ft. Hood in 1966, the Commanding General wanted a Half Track that would Run. He asked his Officers at the Staff Meeting. My Dad told him he saw row's of them at Anniston, The General wanted The Larger M-3. They got one from A.A.D. and got it to Running. The General used it for his Parade Vehicle.
    That sounds like the show I was talking about in my first post. Might have been on the History channel. Might have been longer than I thought since I watched it.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068