Thread: Any SAA Fans?

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Question Any SAA Fans?

Any members into the old west style SAA? I've got a Ruger SBH in .44mag with a 10.5" bull barrel and that's it as far as "Cowboy guns" goes. Been eyeing a Ruger Blackhawk in 45C/45ACP, blued with 4 5/8" bbl. Also thought about some of the Italian clones but wasn't sure on who makes a good one in so far as quality goes and or staying true to the original 1873 design? Don't have any firearms in 45 colt so I'm leaning more towards a 45C/45ACP convertible like the Ruger or something in .38/357.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

The Uberti clones that get imported by Taylor's & Co. are supposed to have better quality control than the other Colt clones.

The Taylor's & Co. catalog will tempt you into spending a lot of money on 19'th century firearms copies.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

I have always wanted to pick up a few Uberti's.

Just for shits and giggles
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

I've also considered the Ruger Vaquero. Have either of you handled a Bisley version of anything? IIRC some magazine articles said the Bisley grip makes recoil more manageable. That may be but I'm not sure I care for the way it looks. The grip has such an odd angle to it.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

I have SAA in .22 LR/Mag, .44 Mag, and .45 LC. I love them all. All of them are Rugers. I favor the .45 LC most as it is powerful, milder recoil, and accurate.

I never cared for the Bisley grip as it just didn't feel right in my hand. The angle was wrong for me. But, I've known a few people who really like them. It's just a matter of preference and "feel."
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

I have fondled a Bisley, but have never shot one.

It just didn't feel right to me
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

Picked up this Pietta 1858 a few weeks ago

Was black powder from Cabels but it's now got the Kirst gated conversion cylinder
    Went with the 45lc since I already had a Uberti golden boy

I've read Uberti is pretty much the same gun as Pietta but take it a step or two further to improve the finishes
    Got my eye on a simple holster hope to get it pretty soon
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

"I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

Old model Ruger Vaquero in .45 Colt.

And a Single-Six

Couple of Italian black-powder revolvers too but no pics.

Ubertis are decent quality for a replica but they're far from great. The action is just a little stiff IMHO. I had a recent manufacture Colt SAA but I believe it was made by a third party. More expensive than Uberti and better feel/action, though it was not nearly as nice as an old original SAA. I was lucky enough to handle an original nickel Colt and damn- it was like butter. Smooth as silk!
    My favorite in replicas was my Navy Arms Schofield. It may still be in the for sale page here. Loved it, but something had to give. That top-break and ejector just does it for me.
    As to caliber, there's only one for the old guns- but it sucks having yet ANOTHER kind of ammo. Otoh you can get cowboy-action loads if you want don't want to deal with a full .45 load but still want authenticity
    CHOOT UM!

Quote Originally Posted by Goodman View Post
    Ubertis are decent quality for a replica but they're far from great. The action is just a little stiff IMHO. I had a recent manufacture Colt SAA but I believe it was made by a third party. More expensive than Uberti and better feel/action, though it was not nearly as nice as an old original SAA. I was lucky enough to handle an original nickel Colt and damn- it was like butter. Smooth as silk!
    My favorite in replicas was my Navy Arms Schofield. It may still be in the for sale page here. Loved it, but something had to give. That top-break and ejector just does it for me.
    As to caliber, there's only one for the old guns- but it sucks having yet ANOTHER kind of ammo. Otoh you can get cowboy-action loads if you want don't want to deal with a full .45 load but still want authenticity
    Colt has been receiving unfinished parts from Uberti and doing the final fitting, assembly, and finishing in their New York plant. (AFAIK)

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    Colt has been receiving unfinished parts from Uberti and doing the final fitting, assembly, and finishing in their New York plant. (AFAIK)
    Just remembered- it was a 'Cowboy' model which was definitely outsourced and not as nice as the SAAs.
    To go back to the OP, sometime back I knew a cowboy action shooter that lined me out on the basics of CAS. There may be some good discussion on replica weapons on the Single Action Shooting Society web page sassnet.org
    CHOOT UM!

Quote Originally Posted by Goodman View Post
    Keep in mind that original has been fired lots of times smoothing everything out.

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    Keep in mind that original has been fired lots of times smoothing everything out.
    Yes probably so, but it was in amazing condition so I'm inclined to believe the original manufacture was very close tolerance.
    It was not loose at all. Little if any holster wear and just a little barrel pitting. It was amazing considering it was (then) over 130 years old
    CHOOT UM!

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Nice looking pieces. Congrats guys.

As mentioned above I've been considering getting a Ruger Blackhawk convertible in 45C/45ACP. Does anyone have a convertible Blackhawk in either 45C/45ACP or 357/9mm? Wondering how much difference there is in accuracy there is between the different calibers. Though I'd include the .357/9mm since I have actually run across those in the used gun section of some of my local gun shops.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

That is a good question. .45 ACP is .451" and .45 LC is .452 or slightly larger isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    That is a good question. .45 ACP is .451" and .45 LC is .452 or slightly larger isn't it?
    I need to dig out some reloading manuals but according to Wikipedia the 45 Colt is .454 lead and .452 jacketed. 45 ACP are listed at .452 and .451 for plated, .452 jacketed, .452 cast.. Depending on what the Ruger is bored at they might shoot fairly similar with plated/jacketed bullets.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068