Thread: Question for the 1919a4 guys

Question for the 1919a4 guys

Ok, so I own one of the Ohio Rapid fire guns. I have not shot it for YEARS!! So, my son wants to shoot it. I take it out, and for the life of me can't pull the bolt back. Call me silly, but I have not touched this gun in YEARS. It was cleaned last time that it was shot, there is no apparent signs of corrosion. The only ammo that I have used with it was Port .308. I almost feel silly asking this, but any ideas?

Maybe the barrel bushing on the end of the barrel is seized up? The barrel has to move back slightly to unlock the action. Axle grease is recommended for the bushing.
    http://www.huntingarkansas.net/

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Yes also called the Booster Cap. If you shoot it and don't clean that out the carbon and copper residue will grow some substantial copper green verdigris (fuzzy blue green corrosion). I can see this seizing up the barrel so it can't move back. Take that off the ventilated shroud and the barrel will be free to move. You'll probably have to soak the hell out of it then use a scraper made out of brass to knock the carbon and copper fouling out of it.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 09-06-2014 at 06:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Yss also called the Booster Cap. If you shoot it and don't clean that out the carbon and copper residue will grow some substantial copper green verdigris (fuzzy blue green corrosion). I can see this seizing up the barrel so it can't move back. Take that off the ventilated shroud and the barrel will be free to move. You'll probably have to soak the hell out of it then use a scraper made out of brass to knock the carbon and copper fowling out of it.
    Hit it with some break free as well?

Yss also called the Booster Cap....
    Thank you, I could not remember the proper term for that thingy.

Quote Originally Posted by El Duce View Post
    Hit it with some break free as well?
    Sure, anything to get it free and cleaned up. Once you get it apart and cleaned out, use some high temp grease on the barrel end and booster cap

Booster cap only wants to move only a little bit. I don't have the proper tool. But the right sized screwdriver fits the slot.

Quote Originally Posted by El Duce View Post
    Booster cap only wants to move only a little bit. I don't have the proper tool. But the right sized screwdriver fits the slot.
    Yes to Breakfree or Kroil or WD 40, basically anything you can get in there to help soak it and get the fouling to soften up. Also, if you take the retainer screw out of the ventilated shroud back where it screws to the Trunnion you should be able to unscrew the whole thing if you can't get just the Booster Cap free.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 09-06-2014 at 06:25 PM.

So any progress?

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Cool

So any progress?
    I think I can hear some cussing coming from the west so I'm guessing not
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

get a wooden dowel the size of the booster hole , throw your gun in a vise and beat on it.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

So any progress?

Hit it with wd 40 and some penetrating oil. Had to work today. Just finished dinner. So, going to give it some more work. I got some of the same advice from 1919a4.com. I used to post over there years ago.

Got the end cap off, it was pretty gunked on there. Now the bolt moves freely. Next step (when I get a chance) is to break it down, clean and lube. Then load up a belt or two. Thanks!!

Cool, post some pics.

Good to know the advise was sound. I sold my belt fed kit 2 years ago, never did get around to building it. I shot your gun a bit at that one C&R shoot, worked really well then. Nice piece.