Thread: NY Times article.

Team GunsNet Gold 03/2014

NY Times article.

This was copied from an article I was sent.
    I'm not sure about copyright laws, but at the end of the article was posted "Printer Friendly" and I am assuming it is OK to copy and re-post.

N.Y. Times shocker on 'assault weapons' ban
    Columnist admits it doesn't curb violence, was a 20-year-old political contrivance
    Published: 17 hours ago

assault_weapon
    WASHINGTON – On the anniversary of the so-called “federal assault weapons” ban of 1994, the New York Times published a column explaining the very term “assault weapon” is one the “Democrats created” in the 1990s to ban “a politically defined category of guns.”

Lois Beckett, a reporter who covers gun violence for ProPublica, wrote, in the piece headlined “The Assault Weapon Myth,” that despite the popularity of the ban, “even gun control advocates acknowledge a larger truth: The law that barred the sale of assault weapons from 1994 to 2004 made little difference.”
    Lois Beckett
    “It turns out that big, scary military rifles don’t kill the vast majority of the 11,000 Americans murdered with guns each year,” she wrote. “Little handguns do. In 2012, only 322 people were murdered with any kind of rifle, F.B.I. data shows. The continuing focus on assault weapons stems from the media’s obsessive focus on mass shootings, which disproportionately involve weapons like the AR-15, a civilian version of the military M16 rifle. This, in turn, obscures some grim truths about who is really dying from gunshots.”

Even when the ban was enacted, the politically defined category of larger weapons figured in about 2 percent of gun crimes nationwide.

It’s a stunning admission from a media institution that still obsesses about gun violence – but it goes even further.

She quotes a Justice Department-funded study that concludes: “Should it (the ban) be renewed, the ban’s effects on gun violence are likely to be small at best and perhaps too small for reliable measurement.”

Perhaps because of media obsession about gun violence, “56 percent of Americans believed wrongly that the rate of gun crime was higher than it was 20 years ago.” In fact homicide rates have held steady or declined for most Americans over the last decade, Beckett writes. And it had nothing to do with the so-called “assault weapons” ban.

Meanwhile, the gun violence death toll in the black community has risen or stayed at levels of 20 years ago, despite falling crime statistics.

She quotes Mayor Mitchell J. Landrieu of New Orleans, who said: “We spent a whole bunch of time and a whole bunch of political capital yelling and screaming about assault weapons,” which he called a “zero sum political fight about a symbolic weapon.”

Landrieu and Mayor Michael A. Nutter of Philadelphia founded Cities United, a network of mayors trying to prevent the deaths of young black men.

“This is not just a gun issue, this is an unemployment issue, it’s a poverty issue, it’s a family issue, it’s a culture of violence issue,” Landrieu said.

The answer, suggests Beckett, are efforts to target high-risk individuals and behavior.

She quotes David M. Kennedy, the director of the Center for Crime Prevention and Control at the John Jay College of Criminal Justice,” who says only a small number of men drive most of the violence. Identify them and change their behavior, and it’s possible to have an immediate impact.

Printer Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner1558 View Post
    This was copied from an article I was sent.
    I'm not sure about copyright laws, but at the end of the article was posted "Printer Friendly" and I am assuming it is OK to copy and re-post.
    "Printer friendly" means the article is formatted as plain text without pictures, links and ads (so that you can print a copy on your printer without using 100 sheets of paper).

You should edit your post to show a quick summary of the article and then provide a link to click to read the rest.

Otherwise they might have a "copyright hissy fit".
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

I wonder if they had to "sneak" this article past the editors to get it printed?
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Well here's a link
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/14/su...myth.html?_r=0

Read that earlier also caught these
    Always gotta watch what the other hand's doing

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2014/0...t-weapons-ban/
    Finally Waving the White Flag on the Assault Weapons Ban

“On this larger question of assault weapons, let’s take a fresh look and look at a combination of things we can do short of a ban that would make it much harder for criminals and mentally ill to acquire guns,” Mr. Gerney said.

http://www.americanprogress.org/issu...ons-revisited/
    Assault Weapons Revisited

While the question of what to do about the proliferation of certain military-style rifles—so-called “assault weapons”—remains open, advocates for stronger gun laws have recently focused on the question of who may possess guns, rather than which type of guns should receive heightened regulation
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Full Otto View Post
    http://www.americanprogress.org/issu...ons-revisited/
    Assault Weapons Revisited

While the question of what to do about the proliferation of certain military-style rifles—so-called “assault weapons”—remains open, advocates for stronger gun laws have recently focused on the question of who may possess guns, rather than which type of guns should receive heightened regulation
    Well, if you can't ban firearms, then ban people. Nice.......

When they learn that doesn't work, they'll try to ban then fingers that can fire a gun. Everyone who wants to own a gun has to have their pointer fingers removed.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars